Eli Manning 20-26... Has he figured it out?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I see Eli Manning was 20-26 during the 4th quarter and in the over-time session vs. Philly. All this happened after the Giants went to a "No-Huddle" offense.

Honestly that scares me if Eli has suddenly "figured it out". They shredded a very good Philly defense with that no-huddle. I guess not being able to make substitutions hurt the Eagle defense big-time. Maybe one of the Eagle fans will comment on this.

I mean 20-26 is pretty freaking unreal for a game not too mention a quarter and a half.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It's really hard to judge either team from that game because Eli and the Giants were absolutely DOMINATED for the previous 3 quarters.

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
ESPNews reports New York Giants RB Tiki Barber (arm) is scheduled to have X-rays performed on his arm Monday, Sept. 18.

Anyone else see anything on that? (Got Tiki in my fantasy league)

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
As I commented to my friends when it was said during the post-game and on ESPN, how many times are we going to hear that Eli Manning has matured into a great NFL QB before it's actually true? How many times now has he "figured it out" only to throw 3 picks the next week?

Every time he has a good game, the media trips over itself to crown him the next savior of the quarterback position because they love the Manning story and they love to suck the #@$# of east coast teams.

The guy is good, and he had a good game. But everybody needs to quit jumping the gun on crowning him as greatness. Give me some great games strung together and a playoff win. Then we can start.

And for the record, while the end result was good...that pass to win the game yesterday was not. While it's true he was under pressure, the pass was badly lobbed and badly underthrown.....Sheldon Brown had as much to do with that TD as Eli. Burress made a nice catch, but Brown was very out of position and never even made a jump on the ball....he never even stuck an arm out to try and bat it out. Were I an Eagles fan, I'd be blaming Brown for having terrible position on that pass.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
EastDallasCowboy said:
As I commented to my friends when it was said during the post-game and on ESPN, how many times are we going to hear that Eli Manning has matured into a great NFL QB before it's actually true? How many times now has he "figured it out" only to throw 3 picks the next week?

Every time he has a good game, the media trips over itself to crown him the next savior of the quarterback position because they love the Manning story and they love to suck the #@$# of east coast teams.

The guy is good, and he had a good game. But everybody needs to quit jumping the gun on crowning him as greatness. Give me some great games strung together and a playoff win. Then we can start.

And for the record, while the end result was good...that pass to win the game yesterday was not. While it's true he was under pressure, the pass was badly lobbed and badly underthrown.....Sheldon Brown had as much to do with that TD as Eli. Burress made a nice catch, but Brown was very out of position and never even made a jump on the ball....he never even stuck an arm out to try and bat it out. Were I an Eagles fan, I'd be blaming Brown for having terrible position on that pass.

Sheldon "Pro-Bowl" Brown? Member of the famous Eagle "Pro-Bowl" secondary?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe it is just me but a couple of long balls Eli threw (and turned into big plays, one being the game winning throw in OT) were actually BAD passes.

He was darn lucky he did not have two pics on those.

It seemed on both he was falling back and throwing off his back foot.

One of those things that when a WR catches it people call it a great play but in reality should never have been thrown.

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I see Eli Manning was 20-26 during the 4th quarter and in the over-time session vs. Philly. All this happened after the Giants went to a "No-Huddle" offense.

Honestly that scares me if Eli has suddenly "figured it out". They shredded a very good Philly defense with that no-huddle. I guess not being able to make substitutions hurt the Eagle defense big-time. Maybe one of the Eagle fans will comment on this.

I mean 20-26 is pretty freaking unreal for a game not too mention a quarter and a half.

Philly is suspect at the CB position with injury and poor play. The Burress pass was a jump ball and he carried the tiny DB into the endzone with him...:lmao2::laugh2::eek: It was a great comeback though regardless but do not assume Philly's secondary is what it once was!!! :)

Roughneck

Reaction score
I will say this for the younger Manning. He took an absolute pounding yesterday (8 sacks) and still was able to lead his team to a crucial victory on the road against a good football team. When has Peyton ever done that?

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
Sheldon "Pro-Bowl" Brown? Member of the famous Eagle "Pro-Bowl" secondary?

Yup.

And yet, the talking heads were heaping praise on Eli for that play calling it, among other things, "great"

Let me assure you, it was not. Watch it yourself.

Brown was out of position and never even made a half-hearted attempt on the ball. Yet the mediots neglected to mention it even once.

edit:

I will say this for the younger Manning. He took an absolute pounding yesterday (8 sacks) and still was able to lead his team to a crucial victory on the road against a good football team. When has Peyton ever done that?

Has there even been a game in which Manning has taken 8 sacks in the last 5 years?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
If he didn't mature as a NFL QB yesterday....then he took a giant step towards that goal.

Roughneck

Reaction score
EastDallasCowboy said:
Has there even been a game in which Manning has taken 8 sacks in the last 5 years?
I wasn't talking about the 8 sacks in specific but rather just the constant abuse Eli faced yesterday. I don't remember Peyton ever getting sacked that many times in a game. Then again, when you're facing him in the Playoffs, you don't even to breathe on him 8 times to turn him into Chutch version 2.0.

:cool:

EastDallasCowboy

Reaction score
I wasn't talking about the 8 sacks in specific but rather just the constant abuse Eli faced yesterday. I don't remember Peyton ever getting sacked that many times in a game. Then again, when you're facing him in the Playoffs, you don't even to breathe on him 8 times to turn him into Chutch version 2.0.

I'd have gone with Donovan McNabb instead of Chutch, but fair enough.

Hey, I'm done defending Peyton Manning. After he did it again last year, I drank the kool-aid and realized he really can't win the big game.

That said, in the regular season....there is not a better QB in the NFL. Palmer has a chance to be as good one day, but that's about it if you ask me.

But now I'm going way off topic. It's not a good comparison between Eli and Peyton because Peyton plays behind one of the best lines in the NFL, so he's never going to get the pressure on him that Eli does.

ghst187

Reaction score
If Eli becomes an elite QB then we are in serious trouble....of course I think that
A) he is still no where as good as his brother and never will be
B) his brother has never won a truly meaningful game...ever

no doubt he was on fire yesterday even after taking a beating. Doesn't matter if the WRs made the plays or not, the QB gets some credit. Few people despise the wo-Mannings more than I but I'll give him his credit. He engineered one of the great comebacks of the NFL yesterday.
I still think he's going to flash greatness from time to time but struggle mightily other times. I don't think he'll ever be a consistently top-flight QB.

yesfan

Reaction score
Eli has a sweet down the middle deep pass,that's it.He can't
seem to throw across the field or even outside the numbers,his
passes never seems to have any zip,and i don't see this kid,since
he's the next " Manning" displaying any kind of leadership role.I
think the team is good,and makes a mediocre QB look good.Jmo.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

eagals secondary is deplorable. it's sometimes easy to play "great" when you're winging it and down by 17 with nothing to lose.

fact remains he was sacked alot, made many bad throws, had alot of lucky bounces, etc. they were losing by 3 scores for a reason.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I never doubted he'd turn out to be a good QB. Right now, he's already the best QB in the HFC East and it's only his 3rd year in the league.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
While so far in 2 games Eli stats to this point are impressive

51 Comp
77 Att
66.2 Completion %
618 yards
8.03 YPA
5 TD
2 int

8 Throws of 20+ yards

8 Sacks (all happen yesterday lol)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
I never doubted he'd turn out to be a good QB. Right now, he's already the best QB in the HFC East and it's only his 3rd year in the league.

I dunno Hos-- seems like several folks are still riding the "Eli stinks" bus.

I thought what he did was pretty damned impressive. Yeah the Eagle secondary isn't what it was but I remember our secondary getting torched by a pretty good young QB a couple weeks ago. Good QBing can make any secondary look like crap in my opinion.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kangaroo said:
While so far in 2 games Eli stats to this point are impressive

51 Comp
77 Att
66.2 Completion %
618 yards
8.03 YPA
5 TD
2 int

8 Throws of 20+ yards

8 Sacks (all happen yesterday lol)

2 things impress me... the 66% completion percentage and the 8.02 ypa.

And come'on lets be honest Indy's defense isn't crap and neither is Philly's.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
2 things impress me... the 66% completion percentage and the 8.02 ypa.

And come'on lets be honest Indy's defense isn't crap and neither is Philly's.

I agree Mike I saw the 66%

Also the 5td's 2 int is solid play as well