Eli Manning 20-26... Has he figured it out?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Let 'em ride it. That bus isn't going anywhere but in a circle. If he wasn't a Manning he'd get less grief. If he was a Cowboy and not a Manning we'd be talking about him as an emerging deity.

If that were Bledsoe completing 20 out of 26 in less than two quarters and brought his team back to win after being 17 points down there would have been 14 threads started on this board right after the game. We would have people proclaiming everything from Bledsoe being the "greatest QB of all time", to people wanting to have a contest to see which fan can be the first to name his kid after Bledsoe, to drewpies that have been banned on this site sneaking back and letting the world know they weren't going to change their "Drew Bledsoe underwear" until he lost another game.

But since someone else did-- especially another QB in the division that is going to be around for a long, long time making our lives miserable-- well he was "lucky" or Philly's defense is a POS or the "stars were aligned" or some such nonsense.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
MichaelWinicki said:
Eli hater. :laugh2:

:laugh2:

No not actually.

He impressed me a great deal when he came in off the bench during a bowl game when he was a freshman and almost lead his team to a victory.

I just don't think he is a grid iron god so far and I think he really makes some stupid throws at times that either by luck or his WR's ability turns into big plays.

Still would take him as a cowboy though.

superpunk

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
If that were Bledsoe completing 20 out of 26 in less than two quarters and brought his team back to win after being 17 points down there would have been 14 threads started on this board right after the game. We would have people proclaiming everything from Bledsoe being the "greatest QB of all time", to people wanting to have a contest to see which fan can be the first to name his kid after Bledsoe, to drewpies that have been banned on this site sneaking back and letting the world know they weren't going to change their "Drew Bledsoe underwear" until he lost another game.
Actually, I have a feeling there'd be an inordinate amount of hand-wringing and proclamations of doom by "certain" people over Bledsoe taking 8 sacks and putting us ina 24-7 hole in the first place. Then, when it seemed the tide was turned, our team was about to win it, he fumbles, luckily having the ball recovered by his own team. You don't need a great comeback if you don't play like crap for three quarters. ;)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
Actually, I have a feeling there'd be an inordinate amount of hand-wringing and proclamations of doom by "certain" people over Bledsoe taking 8 sacks and putting us ina 24-7 hole in the first place. Then, when it seemed the tide was turned, our team was about to win it, he fumbles, luckily having the ball recovered by his own team. You don't need a great comeback if you don't play like crap for three quarters. ;)

Hey, I don't disagree with that. The fact is the Eagles played lights out for 3 quarters and then the Giants woke up and the Eagles fell apart.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Nice reply.
We're talking about Eli Manning and you bring up the 2003 Cowboy defense.
says the guy proclaiming "Indy's defense isn't crap and neither is Philly's."

lol

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
chinch said:
says the guy proclaiming "Indy's defense isn't crap and neither is Philly's."

lol

Indy had the 11th rated defense out of 32 teams... 11 out of 32. If you think that's awful then I don't even know if shock therapy will help at this point.

Philly was 23 last year--- Good? Not hardly-- but certainly not total dog **** like what you are suggesting.

You're amazing. Reallly. Props for that.

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
I don't know if he's going to be elite or not. His showing on Sunday was very good, and so, worrisome.

He had a lot of trouble down the homestretch last season, which to me suggested that he might not develop into a solid QB.

But Sunday's performance suggested otherwise.

superpunk

Reaction score
I dunno where you're looking Winky, but Indy was ranked 15th against the pass last year, according to ESPN. Philly was 21st. In terms of completion percentage, which was the main point of your OP, I think, Philly was allowing 59%, and Indy was the worst in the league at 67%. This season, they haven't shown any improvement, and they are tied for 29th, each allowing 70% of passes to be completed.

Can we agree he needs to face some tougher competition, down the stretch? Like I said, we saw him do this exact thing last year. Then he proceeded to crap the bed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
I dunno where you're looking Winky, but Indy was ranked 15th against the pass last year, according to ESPN. Philly was 21st. In terms of completion percentage, which was the main point of your OP, I think, Philly was allowing 59%, and Indy was the worst in the league at 67%. This season, they haven't shown any improvement, and they are tied for 29th, each allowing 70% of passes to be completed.

Can we agree he needs to face some tougher competition, down the stretch? Like I said, we saw him do this exact thing last year. Then he proceeded to crap the bed.

OK, let's break it down even further-- I'm betting we can find one person on Indy's defense that ranked last on something so we justify the "crap" comment.

Some of you folks must have been on OJ's defense team.

superpunk

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
OK, let's break it down even further-- I'm betting we can find one person on Indy's defense that ranked last on something so we justify the "crap" comment.

Some of you folks must have been on OJ's defense team.

Yeah. Because I said either defense was crap. :rolleyes:

The facts say both defenses are allowing the opposition to complete a high percentage of passes. Your original argument cited Eli's late game heroics, SPECIFICALLY his high completion percentage. Looking at it objectively, considering the competition's poor reputation for allowing a high percentage of completions, Eli's accomplishment looks less impressive. Add to it, the fact that Eli performed similarly against similar opposition last year, only to fade down the stretch against tougher pas defenses, and you have to wonder where anyone could make the "turned the corner" determination on Eli.

So far, we've already seen this movie. There's a chance the ending could be different, but quite honestly, it's too early to say.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Personally I think Eli is going to be a very good QB in this league but have felt that way about him since draft day.