Eli Manning 20-26... Has he figured it out?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I dunno Hos-- seems like several folks are still riding the "Eli stinks" bus.

I thought what he did was pretty damned impressive. Yeah the Eagle secondary isn't what it was but I remember our secondary getting torched by a pretty good young QB a couple weeks ago. Good QBing can make any secondary look like crap in my opinion.
Let 'em ride it. That bus isn't going anywhere but in a circle. If he wasn't a Manning he'd get less grief. If he was a Cowboy and not a Manning we'd be talking about him as an emerging deity.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:
Let 'em ride it. That bus isn't going anywhere but in a circle. If he wasn't a Manning he'd get less grief. If he was a Cowboy and not a Manning we'd be talking about him as an emerging deity.

Boy isn't that the truth...

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
chinch said:
they're not? since when?

Last year Indy was 11th in total defense and Philly was 23rd.

I don't think that's bottom of the league...

burmafrd

Reaction score
Put several games in a row where he has a rating of 90 and better and then talk about the punk. He STANK for 3 quarters.

wileedog

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
Put several games in a row where he has a rating of 90 and better and then talk about the punk. He STANK for 3 quarters.

Agreed. Eli managed to overthrow a wide open 6'5" Buress not once but twice. He was lucky neither was picked.

Either way, the Giants D got gashed for 450 yards against a good not great Eagles O. Their secondary was horrible. Eli is going to have to win a lot of shootouts at that rate, and while I think he will eventually be good I don't think he will be elite because his accuracy and pocket awareness are average at best.

superpunk

Reaction score
He looked good yesterday, except for the sacks.

Before we claim he's turned the corner, you have to observe who he was playing. Philly is currently ranked 27th in passing D, and are allowing opponents to complete 70% of their passes, for a 108 rating. David Carr went 18 of 27 and a touch.

Eli had a great game, but we saw him do this against piss-poor secondaries like STL and SD early last year. Eventually, he faced stiffer competition and better game plans. it's entirely possible he's got this figured out, but I'll reserve judgement. He could have cost them the game with the sacks, and that late fumble yesterday, despite his impressive passing performance.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Last year Indy was 11th in total defense and Philly was 23rd.

I don't think that's bottom of the league...
which reminds me of a few years ago when the 'boys were ranked very, very high on D and we were a paper tiger. neither of those teams has a good D or secondary.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I just watched the game again. He threw a lot of balls off his back foot and just winged more than that under pressure. Many of those balls 'just' got to the receiver or was thrown up for grabs. He also threw some in there.

He was lucky nearly as much as he threw good passes.

They still count though. You have to give him some credit no matter how much you think the above view is legit being my own critic.

I'll take a wait and see attitude about him being great.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
I'm not buying into this hype just yet. He looked awful until the end of the game...both of those defenses were dog tired. Jump balls +6'4" receivers + No-look lobbed passes + tired defense.. does not equal Pro-Bowl QB IMO. Yet.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Wow, this thread is absolutely insane. You're calling Eli the real deal based on that game? LMAO... no, really.

Eli Manning looked absolutely horrible. The Eagles mailed that game in, second half, and all of a sudden Eli is Jesus Christ wearing cleats. McChoke is too busy playing 'two for flenching' at the line of scrimmage to worry about sealing the deal. The Eagles got soft and they paid for it... not a foreign concept to people around these parts.

Okay, where were we? Oh yeah, Eli Manning is the greatest. Yeah. So in OT, Manning throws up a prayer on a jailbreak blitz on 3rd down, gets extremely lucky when Burress comes down with it, and that suddenly validates him as an 'elite QB'? Uh, k.

Best QB in the NFC East?

:eek:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I see Eli Manning was 20-26 during the 4th quarter and in the over-time session vs. Philly. All this happened after the Giants went to a "No-Huddle" offense.

Honestly that scares me if Eli has suddenly "figured it out". They shredded a very good Philly defense with that no-huddle. I guess not being able to make substitutions hurt the Eagle defense big-time. Maybe one of the Eagle fans will comment on this.

I mean 20-26 is pretty freaking unreal for a game not too mention a quarter and a half.

He is my fantasy QB

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Manning proved last year that he is a very hot QB in the 4th quarter...if he keeps this up, they are going to label him with a title like "captain comeback" or some such nonsense. You can say what you want about his inconsistancies, but he's already proven that he's clutch and can lead 4th quarter comebacks ala Roger Staubach...I'd take any day.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
superpunk said:
He looked good yesterday, except for the sacks.

Before we claim he's turned the corner, you have to observe who he was playing. Philly is currently ranked 27th in passing D, and are allowing opponents to complete 70% of their passes, for a 108 rating. David Carr went 18 of 27 and a touch.

Eli had a great game, but we saw him do this against piss-poor secondaries like STL and SD early last year. Eventually, he faced stiffer competition and better game plans. it's entirely possible he's got this figured out, but I'll reserve judgement. He could have cost them the game with the sacks, and that late fumble yesterday, despite his impressive passing performance.

OK, let me understand this... Sooooooooooo, if you're a boxer and you've been in exactly 2 fights. In the first fight you didn't do well but you won. In the second fight you were winning for a while but then the other guy literally mops the floor with you the rest of the way. You suffer a hellacious beating. In the post fight interview someone asks you what you thought of the second guy's fighting skills, you answer, "Oh he wasn't very good-- the guy he was fighting lost the fight".

dork.gif

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
chinch said:
which reminds me of a few years ago when the 'boys were ranked very, very high on D and we were a paper tiger. neither of those teams has a good D or secondary.

Nice reply.

We're talking about Eli Manning and you bring up the 2003 Cowboy defense.

But just to amuse you I'll offer some sort of reply to your post...

You do relalize the 2003 team went to the playoffs AND it featured Quincy Carter at QB and Troy Hambrick as the starting HB?

I really don't expect a reply.

superpunk

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
OK, let me understand this... Sooooooooooo, if you're a boxer and you've been in exactly 2 fights. In the first fight you didn't do well but you won. In the second fight you were winning for a while but then the other guy literally mops the floor with you the rest of the way. You suffer a hellacious beating. In the post fight interview someone asks you what you thought of the second guy's fighting skills, you answer, "Oh he wasn't very good-- the guy he was fighting lost the fight".

dork.gif
What are you even talking about? Did I claim the Eagles gave the game away? That Eli didn't make the plays he needed to? If "He looked good" and "he played a great game" suggest that, I need an english refresher course.

The strength of competition Eli faced was not very good. We have seen him beat up on far inferior competition ALREADY. We know he can do this. But, if you're wondering if he's "turned the corner", your criteria should be a little higher - like beating up on team's who can cover. He did the exact same thing last year, and then folded like a card table when the competition got tougher, and the season got longer. People were claiming he'd turned the corner after games against Arizona, STL, and SD last year. Turns out they were wrong. I think a little more time, and a better test sample of competition, is necessary before claiming Eli has turned the corner and is headed into elite territory.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kilyin said:
Wow, this thread is absolutely insane. You're calling Eli the real deal based on that game? LMAO... no, really.

Eli Manning looked absolutely horrible. The Eagles mailed that game in, second half, and all of a sudden Eli is Jesus Christ wearing cleats. McChoke is too busy playing 'two for flenching' at the line of scrimmage to worry about sealing the deal. The Eagles got soft and they paid for it... not a foreign concept to people around these parts.

Okay, where were we? Oh yeah, Eli Manning is the greatest. Yeah. So in OT, Manning throws up a prayer on a jailbreak blitz on 3rd down, gets extremely lucky when Burress comes down with it, and that suddenly validates him as an 'elite QB'? Uh, k.

Best QB in the NFC East?

:eek:

Here is part of my post that started this thread...

"Honestly that scares me if Eli has suddenly "figured it out"."

You caught that "if" right?

if
Function: conjunction
Etymology: Middle English, from Old English gif; akin to Old High German ibu if
1 a : in the event that b : allowing that c : on the assumption that d : on condition that
2 : WHETHER <asked if the mail had come> <I doubt if I'll pass the course>
3 -- used as a function word to introduce an exclamation expressing a wish <if it would only rain>
4 : even though : although perhaps <an interesting if untenable argument>
5 : and perhaps not even <few if any changes are expected> -- often used with not <difficult if not impossible>
- if anything : on the contrary even : perhaps even <if anything, you ought to apologize>

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give it up Winicki...you dirty New York homer. :p: ;)