Elon Musk says AI will take all our jobs

gtb1943

Reaction score
When AI reaches the capability to reproduce themselves and program themselves what do they need humans for?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think it’s going to be quite the opposite. The bottomline is business and business is about profits. The second companies are able to implement AI to provide customer service type functions they will replace the humans doing those jobs. Companies can reduce staff, reduce the costs associated with providing benefits, reduce office space (leasing), training, et cetera.
Companies have been using AI for years with automated phone service.

Creeper

Reaction score
....yep, agree. Nothing like human connection. I think that's what will save businesses.

I rather be talking to person, then AI bot. Who is dead as door-nail.

Brings up a point. You ever use the Chat button on websight? Its almost useless because its programmed with the basics.

Sometimes our problems are deeper, so we get frustrated, I know I have. Then we have to call customer service, to talk to LIVE person.
Yes, those chats are either scripted responses or know-nothing CS reps who don't know anything but the basics. AI is going to make that worse because AI doesn't have human emotions when customers start cursing them out for not being helpful.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
The real issue is the connection between what the human did yesterday and what they'll be doing tomorrow.

Tomorrow the AI will do what most people did yesterday.

Change is the most difficult thing a human has to do in this life.

This is why the majority are worried about what that change means for them personally.

To each their own, your way is best for you.

The AI has been here awhile now, we've already started adapting, but now the bigger jumps are coming.

If a person can only do one thing and that one thing is removed, who's fault is it, the person or the one removing it?

It's been imbedded in us that what we do is more important than who we are.

Factory worker mentality, breakdown incoming.

:popcorn:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
....how convenient for him to say. What about the other 7 billion that need jobs?

Scoop here: MUSK
Musk hasn't been completely 100% behind automation and AI, to be fair. He's actually gone a bit far fetched with the dangers like it's a science fiction horror at times.

AI is already here and advancing rapidly. We either adapt to it or die. There are still going to be plenty of occupations not impacted by AI, but smaller manual labor jobs are on the way out.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
The real issue is the connection between what the human did yesterday and what they'll be doing tomorrow.

Tomorrow the AI will do what most people did yesterday.

Change is the most difficult thing a human has to do in this life.

This is why the majority are worried about what that change means for them personally.

To each their own, your way is best for you.

The AI has been here awhile now, we've already started adapting, but now the bigger jumps are coming.

If a person can only do one thing and that one thing is removed, who's fault is it, the person or the one removing it?

It's been imbedded in us that what we do is more important than who we are.

Factory worker mentality, breakdown incoming.

:popcorn:
You coders, accountants, doctors and engineers are in for a real shock then when your jobs will be replaced too.

Corporate bean counters will talk all about change management, but the name of the game is anything to cut costs.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
It’s a misnomer to say “AI has been here for years…” The AI currently being developed is light years ahead of in any large scale AI phone service interface you may have experienced on the phone with your credit card service or cable company. Those are relatively rudimentary, designed to recognize phrases and then funnel you to a preprogrammed set of answers. There’s no learning involved. That’s a fundamental difference.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
I don't know. After spending 36 years in corporate finance I just think the egos of the CEOs are too big to give up all their minions. I can see them using AI as tools, like PCs, but not having anyone to lord over is going to take some adjustment on the part of the high and nighty. I could be wrong, but we are talking about the same people insisting their workers show up to their offices instead of working from home. These people have to have their serfs groveling at their feet.

I do see AI replacing customer services workers, telemarketers and jobs like that. they are already doing that with those annoying voice response systems.
Companies want employees back in the building because they are concerned with productivity and not to mention justification of the brick and mortar buildings they are leasing.

AI never gets tired, never calls in sick, can work round the clock, doesn’t require a salary or benefits, doesn’t go on maternity leave or takes a sabbatical, ask for raises, are not liabilities, do not require an office, cafeteria, or company car, nor require severance packages, et cetera.

Profits are and always will be the bottom line and serve as the primary ego flex for CEOs rather than the number of employees they have on staff.

gtb1943

Reaction score
AI to my way of thinking is being too loosely defined by too many people.
Just saying something can learn does not mean AI. all it is doing is soaking up tendencies and putting them in memory. The software is doing the job there.

TRUE AI is a thinking learning adapting thing. Mimicking what humans can do, and there is NOTHING out there that comes close at this time.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Just saying something can learn does not mean AI. all it is doing is soaking up tendencies and putting them in memory. The software is doing the job there.

TRUE AI is a thinking learning adapting thing. Mimicking what humans can do, and there is NOTHING out there that comes close at this time.
You literally have no clue of what you’re talking about, luuulz.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You really don’t know what you’re talking about.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I don’t think companies care. Ever been in a corporation that is changing technology every month whether it works well or not?

Call it AI or Near-AI…. All it takes is a nice projection on increased profits from it replacing the labor force and no one in the corporate hierarchy will think twice about implementing it.