Emmit Smith Vs Barry Sanders

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Also go back to some of his games against the Vikings and GB, when they completely shut him down by not getting up the field. The key was if you beat your blocker you'd get killed by over pursuit, you held your lane and played contain and he'd come to you.

That is why I think the OL argument does not hold water.

So, any OL would have worked for Barry, right?

Please.

What would have been really interesting is what would have happened if Switzer had wanted to run the wish bone and Dallas would have traded Aikman and Irvin to Detroit for Ware and Sanders?:D

And Nors is bogus ...

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
I have never cared for Barry Sanders. Nice guy. Best pure runner I've ever seen. Would NOT want him on my team at any price.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Eh ... I see your point, but I'm not surprised that we disagree a little ... I think the reason he did so much dancing is because his line sucked ... sure he made mistakes ... but every back looks for blocks though ... but he could turn a missed block into something that was nothing.

I read CR's opinion and I just don't agree ... but that's alright, we don't have to worry about it really, neither player is playing anymore and hindsight is 20/20.

That isn't allright. You WILL agree with me. You WILL do this now. CR has spoken.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
my favorite thing about watching emmitt run was his ability to rake off the would be tackler's hand and arm while he was in full stride.

thing of beauty it was.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
I can't remember the exact stats, someone could look it up.
Early 1990's playoff game between Greenbay and Detroit in Greenbay.
Final score was something like 13-10 Greenbay. What's amazing is that Sanders had something like -1 yards on 11 carries. Can you imagine Emmitt getting only 11 carries in any competitive game. Least of all a Playoff Game.
And ending up with negative one yard. That's as telling as any other stat. Crunch time, be at the goaline during the regular season or playoffs Barry came up small.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Crown Royal said:
That isn't allright. You WILL agree with me. You WILL do this now. CR has spoken.

:tantrum: <------CR

:nono: <--------------BnA

:leave:<--------- BnA shortly after ...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I have never cared for Barry Sanders. Nice guy. Best pure runner I've ever seen. Would NOT want him on my team at any price.

What do you have against Barry Sanders, Hos?

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
What do you have against Barry Sanders, Hos?
I've never liked RBs who refuse to run between the tackles. The "hard yard" goes a long way towards helping your team win. It was like he never cared about that. He left his team 2nd and long, or 3rd and long way too often trying to break long ones.

He was a great runner, but in my opinion a handicap for a team that wanted to win. I don't expect many to agree with me. I really am pleased he played elsewhere. Hall of Famer, no doubt. Had he not retired he holds the record, no doubt. Could have been amazing behind our line...I have a lot of doubts.

That was a disciplined unit that expected the play to happen as drawn up. Free lance blocking by an OL is often scatter shot. His runs were fantastic. Mind blowing in many ways.

We won because Emmitt Smith trusted the OL to do their job and he put his butt in the holes. That is what being a football player is all about.

Give me a guy who hits the hole any day even if some consider him less talented. For all the talent Barry had his teams did nothing. In big games he did nothing. I was never surprised at his lack of team success. I took a lot of grief over it for years. Guys called me everything you can imagine. I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that what I predicted of him when he was a rookie turned out to be where he ended up.

I can easily name 20 RBs I'd rather have. He was magnificent. I take nothing away from him there. His magnificence cost his team dearly because they needed more than he gave. They needed that "hard yard."

Every Head Coach he had took him out at the goal line. I've heard every excuse. I've never met a Head Coach who took his "best" option out. That is awfully naive. They want to win. If he was their best option down there where the yards come hard, he'd have been in there.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Hostile said:
I've never liked RBs who refuse to run between the tackles. The "hard yard" goes a long way towards helping your team win. It was like he never cared about that. He left his team 2nd and long, or 3rd and long way too often trying to break long ones.

He was a great runner, but in my opinion a handicap for a team that wanted to win. I don't expect many to agree with me. I really am pleased he played elsewhere. Hall of Famer, no doubt. Had he not retired he holds the record, no doubt. Could have been amazing behind our line...I have a lot of doubts.

That was a disciplined unit that expected the play to happen as drawn up. Free lance blocking by an OL is often scatter shot. His runs were fantastic. Mind blowing in many ways.

We won because Emmitt Smith trusted the OL to do their job and he put his butt in the holes. That is what being a football player is all about.

Give me a guy who hits the hole any day even if some consider him less talented. For all the talent Barry had his teams did nothing. In big games he did nothing. I was never surprised at his lack of team success. I took a lot of grief over it for years. Guys called me everything you can imagine. I'm pretty comfortable with the fact that what I predicted of him when he was a rookie turned out to be where he ended up.

I can easily name 20 RBs I'd rather have. He was magnificent. I take nothing away from him there. His magnificence cost his team dearly because they needed more than he gave. They needed that "hard yard."

Every Head Coach he had took him out at the goal line. I've heard every excuse. I've never met a Head Coach who took his "best" option out. That is awfully naive. They want to win. If he was their best option down there where the yards come hard, he'd have been in there.

Great post. He was fun to watch, but I wouldn't call him a dependable guy.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Hostile said:

well put, hos.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Hostile said:

Great post!

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
Hostile said:

I like the post. It's thoughtful, but I disagree on the points that he had the supporting cast. IMO there weren't great players around him.

They depended on him too much and I think that's where the team failed during his time there. He ran up the middle. The way you put it, he NEVER ran up the middle. That's just not true.

On the "hard yards" I thought maybe Barry tried too hard to make something happen ... I do agree he wasn't the best short-yardage back, but he wasn't awful either. I put a lot of that on the line.

He was amazing to watch ... and I agree he would have gotten the record had he kept playing. I'd be a bigger dummy than I already am to think differently.

He just wasn't that short-yardage hammer-style back, but he accomplished a lot more than 99% of RBs can say they did. He was so elusive ... I don't know if I'll ever witness a guy with those moves again.

I also think he is a very humble guy and would be willing to do what it takes for his team to win. It's just that his team wasn't willing to put the pieces in place for them to win - other than him. This has been what Barry has been saying since he retired.

He tried to come back and play for another team ... Detroit wouldn't let him. I just don't think Detroit was the best fit for Sanders. As where Emmitt had the perfect situation.

jcblanco22

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I like the post. It's thoughtful, but I disagree on the points that he had the supporting cast. IMO there weren't great players around him.

They depended on him too much and I think that's where the team failed during his time there. He ran up the middle. The way you put it, he NEVER ran up the middle. That's just not true.

On the "hard yards" I thought maybe Barry tried too hard to make something happen ... I do agree he wasn't the best short-yardage back, but he wasn't awful either. I put a lot of that on the line.

He was amazing to watch ... and I agree he would have gotten the record had he kept playing. I'd be a bigger dummy than I already am to think differently.

He just wasn't that short-yardage hammer-style back, but he accomplished a lot more than 99% of RBs can say they did. He was so elusive ... I don't know if I'll ever witness a guy with those moves again.

I also think he is a very humble guy and would be willing to do what it takes for his team to win. It's just that his team wasn't willing to put the pieces in place for them to win - other than him. This has been what Barry has been saying since he retired.

He tried to come back and play for another team ... Detroit wouldn't let him. I just don't think Detroit was the best fit for Sanders. As where Emmitt had the perfect situation.

BNA, if I may suggest, read Bizwah's post in this thread, which is excellent. Definitely also look into the link that mickgreen has to his article in his post in this thread. You will get a different opinion of the supporting cast that Sanders had around him most of his career. Don't forget, in 1993-1995 it was basically Rice, Irvin, and Herman Moore as 1-2-3 when you talked about best wide receivers in the NFL. Sanders had his Irvin in Moore for several very above-average seasons. Mitchell also had 2 very prolific passing seasons while Barry was there. Perriman was better overall than Harper and better than any 2nd receiver that we put on the field next to Michael after Harper left following the '94 campaign. Kevin Glover was Step's equal or better, and Lomas Brown was also a perennial Pro Bowler, as Biz said. Mickgreen also points out in his article that they had a 3rd Pro Bowler join them later in Sander's career for a season, it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't remember who right now.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
I read your post, but they were better players.

Jerome Bettis, Curtis Martin, Eric Dickerson, and Tony Dorsett all had more yards than Brown, Marcus Allen had more touchdowns.

Are they the better players?

Smith carried the ball 2050 more times than Brown, which is the reason why he has more yards and touchdowns (2050 rushing attempts is more than Roger Craig or Herschel Walker had in their career).

Jim Brown was a GREAT runner... no one disputes that... I certainly don't... BUT...

Consider his era... Jim Brown was 6' 2" 240 pounds... that is even big by today's standards... he was almost the size of many of the DL's in his day... and CERTAINLY bigger than the LB's and safeties...

although I think he would be a great back in todays era... he wouldn't so easily run over 300+ DL's, 250 pound LB's and 235 pound SS...

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Jim Brown also retired in the prime of his career mainly because he wanted to act and was kind of tired of his coach :).

I would definitely take Jim Brown over Emmitt Smith

My list goes

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Emmitt Smith

But that is just my opinion.

To be honest, I dont even know if Emmitt is the best runner in Cowboys history, but again, jmo :cool: .

- Mike G.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
trickblue said:
Jim Brown was a GREAT runner... no one disputes that... I certainly don't... BUT...

Consider his era... Jim Brown was 6' 2" 240 pounds... that is even big by today's standards... he was almost the size of many of the DL's in his day... and CERTAINLY bigger than the LB's and safeties...

although I think he would be a great back in todays era... he wouldn't so easily run over 300+ DL's, 250 pound LB's and 235 pound SS...

Football has changed so much since Brown played that it isn't fair to him to compare the two. They played in virtually two different games....

TruBlueCowboy

Reaction score
Sifillest said:
now i know emmitt is better, but i dont know enough bad thigns about barry to effectively argue my point.....and all sanders fans can say is that emmitt had a better line in front of him and if barry had that line there would be no telling how much farther he could have gone....i will agree that barry had some of the most breathtaking runs ever seen,but so did emmitt and he usually did it straight up the gut......help me out guys

Ahhhh.... nothing like a good ol' Barry Sanders vs. Emmitt Smith flame bait thread to get everyone going.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I saw an interview on NFL Network with a Lineman who used to block for Barry and he said blocking for barry was hard because even if a play was drawn to go one place you never knew where he would go.

With that I don't think the O Line was much of a factor for Barry. He wasn't a straight line runner and our line we had was designed for a straight line runner. would Barry have done as well here sure but I don't think he would have done any better. Would Emmitt have done as well in Detroit Sure would he have done better I don't think so. Each player ran to their strengths and both were great but they are different....there is no way to really compare them like this....

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
mickgreen58 said:
Jim Brown also retired in the prime of his career mainly because he wanted to act and was kind of tired of his coach :).

I would definitely take Jim Brown over Emmitt Smith

My list goes

Jim Brown
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Emmitt Smith

But that is just my opinion.

To be honest, I dont even know if Emmitt is the best runner in Cowboys history, but again, jmo :cool: .

- Mike G.

Wow... that befuddles me... but message boards are all about opinions, that's what makes them work... I certainly respect you and your opinions as you are an intelligent guy... but I would take Emmitt ANY day over Brown...

Brown had SERIOUS character issues as he liked to knock around women...

You also need to realize that Brown was the biggest factor in Duane Thomas' and his meltdown... attitude counts for alot!

I will NEVER dispute Brown and his talent... but I will always question his character... that is never something we dealt with in regards to Emmitt...