Twitter: Emmitt: Cowboys Wasting Talent Is Frustrating As Hell

glimmerman

Reaction score
Wasting talent or overrating talent?
A little of both. Without the O-Line we were used to and Daks injury and no running game our Offense was exposed.. Without those things Dak is very average and playcalling needed to be short passes.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
It was not Zeke's fault he got hurt nor was it his fault the coaching staff didn't trust Pollard enough to play over a guy on one leg. If the coaches and training staff knew Zeke had a torn ligament in his knee back in October and continued to let him play on it they should all be held accountable ... The one guy I DON'T put any blame on for it.. is Zeke. I appreciate a guy willing to put his body and long term health on the line for the good of the team. Even if he was wrong in believing he was the better option even on one leg.. I cannot fault him for wanting to go out there and compete. It's not his job to set the starting lineup.

I don't blame Zeke either. I didn't say Zeke wasted snaps. They wasted snaps on Zeke when there was a better alternative available.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't blame Zeke either. I didn't say Zeke wasted snaps. They wasted snaps on Zeke when there was a better alternative available.

Let's be honest man, some of the blame also has to go to Tony Pollard for what went down as well. Even though he improved in pass pro this year there were still too many times where he completely whiffed on his man or didn't provide much resistance and that to me more than anything is why Zeke was in there. I can close my eyes and see two spectacular whiffs by Pollard, one against the Chargers and one against the Cardinals which led to strip sacks. I think the coaching staff may have noticed those too.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Talent only gets you so far. Talent alone will beat lesser teams, but when faced with similar talent it's coaching and character that separates them.

Are you more disciplined than you opponent?
Are you smarter than your opponent?
Are you tougher than your opponent?

Perhaps hiring pet cats with no experience or retread coaches no one else wants isn't good enough? Dallas needs a coach who makes Jerry uncomfortable, but won't hire one.
He just doesn't want anyone else ever again to try to claim that it wasn't Jerry who masterminded the whole success story.

I could only imagine some of the fine print in McClays contract.

Jerry wants to bask in the two weeks prior to the SB media attention and praise he will get.

That'll somehow, 'eihn hees mahnd' prove that the 90s weren't all about Jimmy Johnson.

So.....can't have even a guy like Shanahan or Taylor around because Jerry wants to be able to say that he found him and groomed him himself.

It's so unreal childish and ridiculous....losing is one thing and that's fine. Losing THIS way and for this reason is getting tougher to take.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Let's be honest man, some of the blame also has to go to Tony Pollard for what went down as well. Even though he improved in pass pro this year there were still too many times where he completely whiffed on his man or didn't provide much resistance and that to me more than anything is why Zeke was in there. I can close my eyes and see two spectacular whiffs by Pollard, one against the Chargers and one against the Cardinals which led to strip sacks. I think the coaching staff may have noticed those too.
I'd like to know who put together a squad where the only skill player who can block can't run anymore.

Maybe because there's no points for blocking in fantasy football and that's how the team is run.

I went back and studied why many run plays didnt work, and Schultz was way more awful than people realize....even though he is getting ripped for it.

But....in a point per reception league....what a find!!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'd like to know who put together a squad where the only skill player who can block can't run anymore.

Maybe because there's no points for blocking in fantasy football and that's how the team is run.

I went back and studied why many run plays didnt work, and Schultz was way more awful than people realize....even though he is getting ripped for it.

But....in a point per reception league....what a find!!

Yeah a lot of the running plays are simply poorly conceived. Remember the Hard Knocks episode where Zeke is coaching up the backups about being patient and staying with the one direction to the hole until the last possible moment because that's how the play is designed. That same play is designed such that it leaves the backside end to the tight end. So many times the DE just tossed ours aside and were there to greet Zeke almost the instant he got the ball. Ironically it was Pollards LACK of patience to run the play that way that enabled him to bounce it outside and get more out of it on several occasions. He simply wasn't willing to wait on the blocking and it paid off for him. Which again brings me back to my stance that most of our big plays come from a player or players doing something great more so than us scheming something great. The really funny thing is that Zeke spent three years learning to be patient and to wait for his blocking to materialize before making a move. The problem now is that the blocking often doesn't materialize and he is left dead to rights for the defense to pounce on. I said in 2020 that he needs to adjust his mentality more to the impatient "I'm going to make **** happen" Zeke than the new patient Zeke to run effectively behind this line. Now we all know he lost the ability to actually do that once he tore up his knee.. but up to that point he was pretty damn good at making stuff happen.

J_Allen

Reaction score
Unless you want to count for emmitt Smith getting the rushing record, Larry Allen's talent was wasted. One Super Bowl win, which barely happened. It was a miracle we even played in it and it was a miracle we won.

It's just a money making machine for these people.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
yeah pretty bad when the old guard starts saying negative things, but if they are going to do it, they need to be bolder
and say what they really think, and what the real problems are.
Right now they are just beating around the bush, and they need to cut the bush down!!!!!

jerry will just ignore these comments or not understand, or misconstrue them.
Are you saying Jerry only hears what he wants to?

:lmao2:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Unless you want to count for emmitt Smith getting the rushing record, Larry Allen's talent was wasted. One Super Bowl win, which barely happened. It was a miracle we even played in it and it was a miracle we won.

It's just a money making machine for these people.

That's some heavy duty revisionist history there fella. Dallas won all their playoff games by double digits that year .. How do you count that as "barely happened?"

shabazz

Reaction score
I hear you TF. My gut feeling (after winning 6 straight) said they weren't going anywhere. Never mess w/a woman's intuition lol.
o_O
That photo is so fake. Some of you guys are so gullible lol.

don’t be hatin or jelly!

Praxit

Reaction score
...Quicksand Cowboys, in the middle of Texas somewhere.

J_Allen

Reaction score
That's some heavy duty revisionist history there fella. Dallas won all their playoff games by double digits that year .. How do you count that as "barely happened?"

I'll try to find the highlight but if not for a Giants miss field goal and then one heck of a catch by Kevin Williams, we don't get home field advantage and we have to go to San Francisco. We all know the days of beating them were over once Barry came on board.

It was something like that, but yeah the Giants should have won that game. And then in Super Bowl 30 if not for Neil O'Donnell throwing two interceptions, we lose.

J_Allen

Reaction score

I think the first comment on YouTube talks about it.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Pollard is poor in pass blocking. He was still the better option to carry the ball over Zeke. Probably our best package would have been Lamb, Cooper, Schultz, Pollard, McGovern. If you want blocking, put in a blocker, not an injured and ineffective RB.

ryanbabs

Reaction score
FRISCO - Mark down Emmitt Smith as the latest Dallas Cowboys legend who finds the state of today's Dallas Cowboys to be, as he puts it, "frustrating as hell.''

From Drew Pearson expressing disillusionment with quarterback Dak Prescott (see "$40 Million Disappointment'')

to Troy Aikman calling this year's failure "heartbreaking'' (see "How Would I Fix Jerry's Cowboys?'')

to Deion Sanders telling CowboysSI.com that the Cowboys "choked'' (see "Not Built for the Moment''),

there is an army of Hall of Fame Cowboys who remained stunned at the modern editions of the team inability to get over the hump of success.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/emmitt-smith-dallas-wasting-talent-dak-prescott-super-bowl

Add Jimmy Johnson to the list. Too bad the owner only listens to himself…