Emmitt Smith on Mike McCarthy and how he's used Tony Pollard

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I agree with Emmitt 100 percent. I don't want a team that's pass happy, and I don't want one that's run happy. I want one that can kick butt at both. It's what the 90s-era Super Bowl teams did. Emmitt was a huge reason for those teams' success, but he didn't have to do it all by himself. They ran him a ton, but then Aikman would connect with Irvin, Novacek, Harper, or many other weapons. They also would occasionally run Daryl Johnston or other running backs besides Emmitt. That team could rip defenses to shreds via the run or the pass. I remember one game against the Eagles, and it was probably a playoff game, in which Coach Johnson used a bunch of weapons as a decoy. They were in the red zone, and so they sent Irvin, Novacek, and Emmitt to the left of the endzone to attract the over-pursuing defense. Aikman then passed to a wide-open Derek Tennell for a TD. With all those weapons drawing the defense away, the lowly scrub, Tennell, was able to score.
When you've got a balanced attack like that, you can score even with a player of basic skill. I am concerned that Pollard may not be the guy for the bruising, grind-it-out yards. If we had a Robert Newhouse-style player on the team to complement him, I would feel better.

We need to get the blocking and blocking schemes figured out before we talk about what style of RB we need to have.

Everyone is blaming the result of the problem but not looking at the actual problem.

Our running backs are more then fine.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our run game problems have next to nothing to do with our Runningbacks.
It definitely has something to do with them. A bigger, more physical back would be able to take some toll on a defense. If our running game struggles had absolutely nothing to do with our RBs, then nobody would’ve been screaming for the Cowboys to trade for Derrick Henry. This wasn’t just coming from the fans here it was coming from some in the media.

kumizi

Reaction score
Thank you Emmitt

You have one of the most explosive running backs in the NFL and you're designing plays for him to run smack dab into the pile for a 3.5 yard gain. Pollard should be getting the ball in space outside the tackles.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
We need to get the blocking and blocking schemes figured out before we talk about what style of RB we need to have.

Everyone is blaming the result of the problem but not looking at the actual problem.

Our running backs are more then fine.
Yes, the blocking is of paramount importance. However, I don't think we're set at running back. Pollard is great for fast explosiveness, but he's not our short yardage situational guy. I wish we had another Calvin Hill or Robert Newhouse. Is there someone on the team who you think could be the bruiser RB? Maybe Hunter Luepke can do it? Can we trust him on 4th and 1?

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Before criticizing McCarthy, one needs to know a) did Dak make an audible and b) if so, did Dak make the correct audible based on the defense shown.

Without this audible information, there is no way to judge accordingly. We are all just guessing.
So, Dak must be making a lot of bad audibles.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
I've got questions, too, about the offense and use of RBs. They way we have tried to use Vaughn is all wrong as well and is why he is inactive. You don't ask a guy like Deuce to block or run into the pile. He's a guy you have to get into space so his quickness and speed can be most effective. he is just too small to be a blocker or smash mouth runner.
A RB who can’t block at all is next to useless.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sounds like Emmitt liked the guy we shipped off to san diego. He was pretty darn good at what he does.

As team's get more and more of a read on this offense. You'll all begin to look at mike mccarthy like aaron rodgers did.

Cowboys4lifeGR

Reaction score

Love ES, but i had a hard time focusing on him talking, as my attention was on Kay Adams. OMG, she is SIMPLY STUNNING!!!. oh and regarding our RB scheming, don't expect any major changes. Like my grandfather used to say...."you CAN'T teach an old dog new tricks"... this is as far as our current's OC playbook goes. Lets go to Philthy and take some scalps!!!