Emmitt Smith on Mike McCarthy and how he's used Tony Pollard

TasteMyScythe

Reaction score
Before we start criticizing McCarthy for play calling or how he uses Pollard, let me see the OL open some holes in the running game. Let me see some downfield blocking from the TEs and WRs. Even the best RBs ever can't gain yards if they are hit at or behind the LOS.
I'm criticizing McCarthy until he stops calling the same run play over and over...diddle diddle up the middle. How can you expect any OL to open up lanes when everyone on Gods green earth knows the play?
The scheme is supposed to attack horizontal and stretch the defense out to the edges, then hit them vertical. With most of the run plays being up the middle and combined with a short passing game that hasn't been threating it deep to keep the safeties back, defenses are going to stack the box. Pollard is running with his eyes down expecting contact right away, instead of using his vision and speed in a little space.
It's up to the coaches to put the players in the right situations to succeed.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't obsolve Rogers, he was getting down right pissy towards the end.
But the MINUTE the league told GB they couldn't use the "hug" technique any longer Mike was done. They could not block a lick and Rogers couldn't stand in the pocket 4-6 seconds . McCarthy wouldn't/ couldn't adjust his attack and got Aaron killed.

So then Mike leaves GB as a laughing stock. Then discovers analytics and sells Jerry a sack of sunshine and Jerry says hey!(light bulb)my next yes man.
Mike has already lasted a couple weeks longer than I expected, thanks to the STINKING Gnats and LA TEAMS non existent defenses .
I just hope Quinn takes over in time to salvage the season.