Emmitt Smith says we are fine at RB

DFWJC

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...smith-thinks-cowboys-are-fine-at-running-back

""Darren McFadden, that is a running back you have to respect. You have to remember he played out in Oakland. Oakland doesn't have what the Cowboys have," Smith said during an interview on KRLD-FM on Tuesday, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Having an offensive line, and a quarterback like Tony Romo, and some receivers, and a system that makes some doggone sense, he can become a better running back in this system.
"And (with backup running back Joseph) Randle, you can have a nice one-two punch. The one thing with McFadden, if he gets some of those running lanes that I saw DeMarco have last year, and it's on -- he can take it to the house."

reddyuta

Reaction score
You can say Dmac has been an utter dissapointment but he still has the speed,he will never get you those dirty yards but he is always a threat to take it to the house.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hope Emmitt right. I respect his opinion but it comes down to McFadden proving it. No one will care about these opinions later on.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
You can say Dmac has been an utter dissapointment but he still has the speed,he will never get you those dirty yards but he is always a threat to take it to the house.

Thats the only thing I hated murray. He would always get caught when it seems like he wouldve been gone for a td.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I agree with him.

At first I was bothered we didn't draft a runner but after the second day I didn't want one. No guy in the fourth round will come in and be a starter. Randle Dunbar and Williams know the offense. Darren will learn but he'll be fine. The rookie I wouldn't trust in a clutch situation.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
What does he know about running backs? There are pros on this site.

I'm sure he knows a lot but it is still an opinion and it is on McFadden to prove Emmitt right. Clearly McFadden has the OL, He has the QB and WR core a HOF TE so now it comes down to one simple thing and that is McFadden getting it done, no excuses

Sydla

Reaction score

I am certainly no huge fan of McFadden but he runs tougher than you think. He's not some speed guy that just dances/looks for holes and space and turn on the speed. He runs tougher than people give him credit for. He' s no Lesean McCoy, for example.

Reaction score
There's a good chance we will be fine with who we've got, but I've been hoping for a good bruiser back in the rotation for some time now. That brief period we had Sammy Morris on the roster really highlighted the value of having that type back in the RBBC. Hopefully the front office picks someone up for that role...

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I value his opinion more than Baldy's.
Beat me too it. On one hand, you have Brian Baldinger. Journeyman offensive lineman. On the other hand, you have Emmitt Smith. Hall of Fame running back. Both share their opinion about the impact of the running back position on Dallas' future effectiveness. Their opinions differ. So, there's the lineman, who does not factor in Dallas' offensive line in his analysis. And there's one of the GOAT, who played the position offering his take on the matter.

Maybe I should flip a coin and go with the opinion of the winner? Dang it. I'm flat out of change. :(

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After Lee went down last year, and Ro Mac was signed, people hated it....McFadden will be this years McClain.
And if Emmitt endorses him, people should listen. Give him the benefit of the doubt.

Still have their reservations, but also give him a chance.

jaybird

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...smith-thinks-cowboys-are-fine-at-running-back

""Darren McFadden, that is a running back you have to respect. You have to remember he played out in Oakland. Oakland doesn't have what the Cowboys have," Smith said during an interview on KRLD-FM on Tuesday, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Having an offensive line, and a quarterback like Tony Romo, and some receivers, and a system that makes some doggone sense, he can become a better running back in this system.
"And (with backup running back Joseph) Randle, you can have a nice one-two punch. The one thing with McFadden, if he gets some of those running lanes that I saw DeMarco have last year, and it's on -- he can take it to the house."

What made ES great (among many things) is he took take a 2 yard loss and turn it into a 3 yard gain. Murray had some of that. Does McFadden? Can Mc Fadden be trusted in the trenches?

Other than that - Emit is spot on. He's never had an oppurtunity to play with a QB and OL like this one. Difinetely a home run hitter

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score

I disagree. One could say the Raiders have been an utter disappointment.

I mean, the dude want's to be able to walk after football.

Why wreck yourself physically when it seems the franchise didn't give a rats @$$ about doing anything positive.

With the QB situation, or lack thereof.........he didn't really stand a chance.

We'll see what he has left.

Like you, I believe the man can still play football.

And I think our RB situation is going to be fine, thanks to the OL.

Those five dudes...........They want to win. That, my man, is a damn good start.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
When McFadden gets debacled, he might change his tune.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

I hate that phrase dirty yards.

When it was 3rd and 3 and you need a first down...how many "dirty yards" did you create when you didn't get contacted for 2.8 yards?

It's just a silly phrase we started using randomly last year in describing Murray's increasingly plodding style.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I hate that phrase dirty yards.

When it was 3rd and 3 and you need a first down...how many "dirty yards" did you create when you didn't get contacted for 2.8 yards?

It's just a silly phrase we started using randomly last year in describing Murray's increasingly plodding style.

because that was not often the case in short yardage. There were ample times where he did not have much in terms of a hole and had to grind out tough yards when facing a stacked line.