Emmitt Smith says we are fine at RB

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I do know emotion and attitude have a ton to do with performing in football and it would be absolutely no surprise if McFadden was drained of emotion with no chance to win and I bet most of that Oakland team had less than stellar attitudes.

It is certainly going to be interesting to see what he can do in Dallas.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
because that was not often the case in short yardage. There were ample times where he did not have much in terms of a hole and had to grind out tough yards when facing a stacked line.

Meh. I expect at a minimum for our lead back to be able to fall forward.

But we started praising Murray for doing his job as a bare minimum.

Again the dude averaged 2.8 yards before contact. Over 392 carries.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Smith also has said Dallas would win the Super Bowl if it traded for Adrian Peterson.

It seems almost unfathomable that the Dallas Cowboys would even consider trading for Adrian Peterson. They didn’t want to pay DeMarco Murray, a 27-year-old NFL rushing leader, $8 million, so why would they pay a 30-year-old runner $12 million? They would also have to give up draft picks and it would cost them more than it would really be worth. However, the Dallas Morning News reported on Monday that Emmitt Smith said signing Peterson would take the Cowboys to the Super Bowl.

It is interesting that Michael Irvin was begging Dallas to re-sign DeMarco Murray, saying that if they really wanted to win they would pay the NFL’s defending rushing leader. The Cowboys weren’t willing to pay the money to Murray. Now, the NFL’s all-time leading rusher, and the man who Murray eclipsed for the Cowboys’ single-season rushing leader, wants Dallas to break the bank, and mortgage the future, to bring in Adrian Peterson.

Most running backs in the NFL break down at the age of 30. That gives Murray about three more years, unless the fact that Dallas ran him into the ground with over 400 carries in 2014 ends his career early. There is also the thought that a 30-year-old Peterson won’t make it through a season with that many carries, although Peterson is almost superhuman when it comes to his conditioning. The fact is that, if Dallas pays Paterson $4 million more than Murray was asking, they can’t run him as much as they did Murray.

However, Emmitt Smith said that he would be excited to see Peterson arrive in Dallas. He called him a proven running back and one that all defenses would have to respect, which opens up the passing game. Smith also mentions that Peterson has a chip on his shoulder and wants to prove to everyone that he is not someone who should be written off. Smith said that, with Peterson, the Cowboys are in the Super Bowl in 2015.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I do know emotion and attitude have a ton to do with performing in football and it would be absolutely no surprise if McFadden was drained of emotion with no chance to win and I bet most of that Oakland team had less than stellar attitudes.

I think it affects veterans worse than the fresh young guys--who are maybe, in a good way, still naïve.

After years of looking at loaded boxes, guys like McFadden, and also Chris Johnson, lose trust that the hole will be there. It negatively affects how they run the ball....making them maybe dance more than used to or not be as decisive. The young backs that are even on the same team, may end up with better ypc because they aren't quite as jaded yet.

No idea if DMC will do well, but you know he's re-energized. Load the box vs Dallas and Dez /Romo et al will destroy you with the improved protection. Unload the box, and well, there's most likely gonna be a hole there.

JBS

Reaction score

Yeah, those aren't the dirty yards

There isn't anyone on this site that wanted Murray back less than me

But when it's 3 and 1 or 3 and 2 and the defense has 8-9 guys in the box and the rb gets hit at the line of scrimmage or even before...THOSE are dirty yards

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Sure yet not all backs do, Hell McCoy sucked by the goal line Philly often sat in position down around the 2 to 3 yard line and could not punch it in. I praised Murray for the job he did, over 1,800 yard rushing, his receiving and his blocking. Hell I would praise any RB in the NFL who produced as Murray did. I may be a hardnosed Cowboy fan but never one to not give credit to other players for going out and producing at a very high level. People can spin it how they choose but fact is fact those numbers are real no 2 ways about it. I will also add that will be missed in Dallas.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Yep, he did.

But I agree with him on this, and I trust the front office.

I don't think either statement is mutually exclusive. Dallas could win the Super Bowl if it had Peterson and it could be fine with the running backs it has.

In either scenario, there's a lot of play between what could happen and what will happen. My issue has never been that Dallas can't succeed with the backs it has (because I don't know that). My issue has always been that it is relying on a bunch of backs with pretty big question marks to replace a run game that was vital in its success last year.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...smith-thinks-cowboys-are-fine-at-running-back

""Darren McFadden, that is a running back you have to respect. You have to remember he played out in Oakland. Oakland doesn't have what the Cowboys have," Smith said during an interview on KRLD-FM on Tuesday, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Having an offensive line, and a quarterback like Tony Romo, and some receivers, and a system that makes some doggone sense, he can become a better running back in this system.
"And (with backup running back Joseph) Randle, you can have a nice one-two punch. The one thing with McFadden, if he gets some of those running lanes that I saw DeMarco have last year, and it's on -- he can take it to the house."

The one thing he doesn't say here is what he said if they get AD...they are the SB favorites. Interesting he didn't say that with this one two punch.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Why we are at it Emmitt Smith said this as well

Nobody knows how much of Murray’s success was because of the stout offensive line, and nobody knows how Murray will rebound from the heavy workload of 2014.
Smith chuckled at the initial notion that the Cowboys could plug anyone in and have success running the ball behind an offensive line that that features three Pro Bowlers in left tackle Tyron Smith, center Travis Frederick and right guard Zack Martin.
“Who’s thought process is that? That’s the media’s thought process?” Smith said. “That’s the arm chair quarterback, that’s the couch coach and everybody else.
“Just because you have a great offensive line, you’ve got to have a special kind of person behind it.”
Smith also didn’t put too much into the workload. Murray carried it an NFL-high 392 times during the regular-season, and there has been a recent trend of running backs that have seen their production dip significantly after that many carries.
But Smith never had that issue during his career. Smith, like Murray, took on a heavy workload in his age 26 season, carrying it 377 times in 1995. He posted six consecutive 1,000-yard seasons after that, averaging almost 300 carries a season.
“Too much is made of too many things,” Smith said. “There are some stats out there that would showcase the facts as the facts, but I think every player has a big number in them. The question becomes what’s your big number?
“And there are a handful of guys who can produce more than one big number. Are you that guy? That remains to be seen.”

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...orner-blog/article10536176.html#storylink=cpy

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Smith also has said Dallas would win the Super Bowl if it traded for Adrian Peterson.

So what. That doesn't mean that's the only way. You can't just do the trade, you have to have a willing trade partner... that's not Minnesota.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...smith-thinks-cowboys-are-fine-at-running-back

""Darren McFadden, that is a running back you have to respect. You have to remember he played out in Oakland. Oakland doesn't have what the Cowboys have," Smith said during an interview on KRLD-FM on Tuesday, via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "Having an offensive line, and a quarterback like Tony Romo, and some receivers, and a system that makes some doggone sense, he can become a better running back in this system.
"And (with backup running back Joseph) Randle, you can have a nice one-two punch. The one thing with McFadden, if he gets some of those running lanes that I saw DeMarco have last year, and it's on -- he can take it to the house."

that's the gamble and the hope dallas has made., I think they are hoping to get some games out of McFadden and they are hedging their bets that if he is out, then randle and Williams can carry the load.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The one thing he doesn't say here is what he said if they get AD...they are the SB favorites. Interesting he didn't say that with this one two punch.

Can't imagine anyone thinking we wouldn't be better--in the short term--with Peterson. Emmitt included.
Of course, as you know, we can't just snap our fingers and have Adrian Peterson on the team.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
I hate that phrase dirty yards.

When it was 3rd and 3 and you need a first down...how many "dirty yards" did you create when you didn't get contacted for 2.8 yards?

It's just a silly phrase we started using randomly last year in describing Murray's increasingly plodding style.

And averaged 2.68 yards AFTER contact as well. It's not as though Murray was going down as soon as he was being touched, he certainly picked up those "dirty yards" on his own a lot of the time. It seems whenever people want to negatively spin what Murray did, they bring up what you just brought up.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Can't imagine anyone thinking we wouldn't be better--in the short term--with Peterson. Emmitt included.
Of course, as you know, we can't just snap our fingers and have Adrian Peterson on the team.

understand he just didnt say SB team like he did with AD...heck with this line they will be fine if Jed is the lead horse

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
And averaged 2.68 yards AFTER contact as well. It's not as though Murray was going down as soon as he was being touched, he certainly picked up those "dirty yards" on his own a lot of the time. It seems whenever people want to negatively spin what Murray did, they bring up what you just brought up.

I didn't want Murray back last year during the season. Please don't lump me with the revisionists that changed tune after he left.

gimmesix

Reaction score

I think that may be one of the main differences I see between him and McFadden. McFadden seems to get brought down quite a bit by first contact, either because of balance or being tripped up. I would not have expected that from him because he isn't a weak back. Now, McFadden is more likely to hit open field and go, but Murray is more likely to hit contact and fall forward.

I think Williams might actually be a better contact back because he seemed (at least in preseason) to have better balance and run with a lower pad level.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

IMO, he'll either be a top 10 player at his position or injured.