Emmitt Smith to current Cowboys: "You're not a star yet."

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
It's a good sound bite and all Mr. Smith, but we know who the problem is. It starts at the top. But, Mr. Smith won't tell HIM that. He just punches on these soft new age players like it's their fault.

irishline

Reaction score
Dan Marino
Warren Moon
Dan Fouts
Philip Rivers
Fran Tarkenton
Jim Kelly.

Its funny, only one of these QB's played for a team that has ever one a Super Bowl and the one that did won it 50 years ago (the Dolphins pre Marino). Dallas has (had) a history of winning them across a couple generations. The comments to me were more about being a Cowboy than an NFL player. I took Emmitt's comments to be more directed at living up to the expectations set by the successes of the Cowboys teams before them. And until they win something, they are just living in the shadows of that championship history. In that respect, he is completely correct. Like it or not there is a different history here than there is for the teams the QB's listed above played for.

Scary to think that in the first half of my life (26 years) Dallas made the playoffs 20 times, went to the NFC championship game 14 times, the Super Bowl 8 times, and won 5 of them. A 43-22 playoff record. The the next 26 years they went to the playoffs 10 times, with 3 wins (in the wild card round). A 3-10 playoff record. Sad to see how far we, and (somewhat) our expectations have fallen.

Yet the players (some not all) still act like being a Cowboy is enough. Of course, that attitude is a reflection of more than just them but Leadership (ownership) as well.

Last edited:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
It's a good sound bite and all Mr. Smith, but we know who the problem is. It starts at the top. But, Mr. Smith won't tell HIM that. He just punches on these soft new age players like it's their fault.

They're paid like stars and sure seem to think they're stars (remember Dak's comment early in the season about being Super Bowl contenders), so Emmitt's just reminding them what they need to do if they really want to be stars.

And he's right - they're not stars yet. If they want that label then win something. Emmitt won a Super Bowl with Barry Switzer masquerading as an NFL head coach.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
The old guard seems a bit frustrated by the "stars" of today.

Emmitt is wrong on this, or he used the wrong words.
you dont have to be a "championship or SB winner" to be a star in todays NFL

The media makes the stars today based on very little accomplishment.
1 good game, 1 good catch, 1 good season, big stats, or like dak controversial contract negotiations that goes on for years.

beckham made 1 good catch, the one handed catch and he was a instant star.
Lamb was a star coming into NFL based on his college days, he didnt have to do anything lol.

Flamma

Reaction score
Haven’t you heard? That’s what millennials (and youngers) call anyone older than them that has a differing opinion to theirs lol

Are you sure it's millennials? Or possibly Gen Z? They're already in their 20s. I've noticed some of the younger athletes have the resilience of a jelly fish. Anything sets them off into a tantrum like a 10 year old girl that doesn't get what she wants.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Are you sure it's millennials? Or possibly Gen Z? They're already in their 20s. I've noticed some of the younger athletes have the resilience of a jelly fish. Anything sets them off into a tantrum like a 10 year old girl that doesn't get what she wants.

I am a Gen Xer… so whether it’s millennials or Gen Zers is irrelevant. The fact anyone over 40 is now considered a “boomer” just gets a cynical eyeroll from me lol

Flamma

Reaction score
I am a Gen Xer… so whether it’s millennials or Gen Zers is irrelevant. The fact anyone over 40 is now considered a “boomer” just gets a cynical eyeroll from me lol

I am Gen X too. Which is why I initially asked. I'm pretty sure Emmitt is as well. I just think it's the back end of millennials and mostly Gen Zombie. Because there are plenty of cool millennials that I do know.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Emmitt is wrong on this, or he used the wrong words.
you dont have to be a "championship or SB winner" to be a star in todays NFL

The media makes the stars today based on very little accomplishment.
1 good game, 1 good catch, 1 good season, big stats, or like dak controversial contract negotiations that goes on for years.

beckham made 1 good catch, the one handed catch and he was a instant star.
Lamb was a star coming into NFL based on his college days, he didnt have to do anything lol.

So do guys want to be media stars or actually win something?

I'm tired of glorifying Cowboys just for being Cowboys. This team used to be about competing for championships, and even winning some. It seems Emmitt agrees.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
So do guys want to be media stars or actually win something?

I'm tired of glorifying Cowboys just for being Cowboys. This team used to be about competing for championships, and even winning some. It seems Emmitt agrees.
many are content to be millionaires, and media stars. It is a pretty good gig.
There may be a few cowboys who want to win, but it needs to be whole team or most of them, and better coaches.