Twitter: Emmitt Smith's Advice for Dak

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
there also wasn’t instagram/twitter/internet money then either. 52 other guys can’t make the lowest paid guy become the richest paid guy and be successful.

That one guy can be successful, but not the other 52. Dak is dead man walking, get him outta here
I don't want him outta here, but I don't want his paycheck to be the reason we don't sniff a SB as long as he's here.

Qcard

Reaction score
Sad to say but by far the least intelligent player in the Triplets has spoken

kskboys

Reaction score
It has been widely reported that McCarthy has stated his intention of leaving the offense in place. It's one of the reasons he kept Moore and Nussmeier. He will tweak it and add his own flavor but the offense is going to be much the same. That said, there is no way Dak holds out and if he does he should be jettisoned at the next exit. He would be a fool to tie up 20% of the team's cap on himself. And the team would be foolish to do it. Doing so would mean saying goodbye to a lot of very good players and being mired in mediocrity (or worse) for the next decade. Who the hell signs up for that? Dak need to take 25-30 mill and be grateful. Every dollar he leaves against the cap is a dollar toward another good teammate. You only demand the max if you don't want good teammates. If Dak cares more about being the highest paid player for 5 minutes than he does winning a Super Bowl or three then I don't want him as my QB. I would be fine with letting him walk and starting over with a draft pick. I think we've shown we can do pretty good with a raw rookie QB ..
Man, that is exactly how I feel about it.

And it's so simple. I know people want to deny the facts, but those are the facts.

I always thought JG's/Moore's O would be fine w/ a little tweaking. I liked a lot of what I saw from MO, but man did he ever need direction, and he certainly wasn't getting it from JG.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
It has been widely reported that McCarthy has stated his intention of leaving the offense in place. It's one of the reasons he kept Moore and Nussmeier. He will tweak it and add his own flavor but the offense is going to be much the same. That said, there is no way Dak holds out and if he does he should be jettisoned at the next exit. He would be a fool to tie up 20% of the team's cap on himself. And the team would be foolish to do it. Doing so would mean saying goodbye to a lot of very good players and being mired in mediocrity (or worse) for the next decade. Who the hell signs up for that? Dak need to take 25-30 mill and be grateful. Every dollar he leaves against the cap is a dollar toward another good teammate. You only demand the max if you don't want good teammates. If Dak cares more about being the highest paid player for 5 minutes than he does winning a Super Bowl or three then I don't want him as my QB. I would be fine with letting him walk and starting over with a draft pick. I think we've shown we can do pretty good with a raw rookie QB ..
Well said......either Dak doesn't understand this or he simply doesn't care.

Last edited:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
You can't compare the endorsements of any RB to the endorsements of the QB, especially the QB of the Dallas Cowboys.

Emmitt wasn’t just any RB back then. He was coming off back to back rushing titles and had just helped lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win. Regardless the endorsements Emmitt had back then he still wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league. It wasn’t just a money thing it was a pride/ego thing.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Emmitt wasn’t just any RB back then. He was coming off back to back rushing titles and had just helped lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win. Regardless the endorsements Emmitt had back then he still wanted to be the highest paid RB in the league. It wasn’t just a money thing it was a pride/ego thing.
I don't know what percentage of the team's overall salary Emmitt got, but I doubt it was anywhere near 20%, and considering there was no cap at the time, I don't see how that matters anyway.

Emmitt deserved to be the top paid RB. He earned it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboy players, are not designated, as prime endorsement magnets. Dak's, charisma and character, is a part of his draw.

Your rebuttal, suits your opinion therefore; you must include yourself in rationalizing. The moniker, "America's Team" means squat, to most fans, media, and players.

Wasn't me that named it "America's Team". You're nitpicking about terminology rather than popularity, so let's leave that, then.

It's one of the most valuable franchises in ALL of sports, let alone NFL. If you think that doesn't shed light on the players, than you are just FOOLing yourself. OF COURSE and endoresee would look to the Cowboys first.

Apparently you are trying to argue with me about if Dak should take less money or not. Fervently. Not my point and I don't care if he gets less or more money. But cut the crap that a popular Cowboy wouldn't be one of the top choices for an advertiser.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Not sure Emmitt is the one to be giving Dak contract advice, he did hold out for a new contract in 93. Doubt he had that same perspective when he was playing.
He won them 3 Super Bowls and single handedly won it in 93. He can say what he wants on the situation.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He won them 3 Super Bowls and single handedly won it in 93. He can say what he wants on the situation.

He didn't single handily win the 93 SB but was the main reason we won. No player "single handily" wins any game. Football is a team sport.

kskboys

Reaction score
He didn't single handily win the 93 SB but was the main reason we won. No player "single handily" wins any game. Football is a team sport.
James Washington and the D was the main reason we won.

BUFF was up 13-6 at the half. To start the 2nd half, Leon forced a fumble and Washington took it to the house. Emmit then scored. Then, WASH was driving, and Washington Picked off a pass.

11 Tackles, and 2 momentum changing TO's. He was the true MVP.

Look it up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
James Washington and the D was the main reason we won.

BUFF was up 13-6 at the half. To start the 2nd half, Leon forced a fumble and Washington took it to the house. Emmit then scored. Then, WASH was driving, and Washington Picked off a pass.

11 Tackles, and 2 momentum changing TO's. He was the true MVP.

Look it up.

That series in the third quarter where Emmitt took over is the main reason we won. He had over 60 yards rushing in that drive and completely took the will out of the Bills. It was all Cowboys from there.

kskboys

Reaction score
That series in the third quarter where Emmitt took over is the main reason we won. He had over 60 yards rushing in that drive and completely took the will out of the Bills. It was all Cowboys from there.
Not even close. That's fan spin.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not even close. That's fan spin.

That’s your opinion but James Washington’s fumble return for a TD tied the game in the third quarter. It was certainly a big play no question about it however when the Cowboys got the ball back Emmitt took over. He scored the next two TDs....game over! There’s a reason Emmitt was named MVP of that Super Bowl.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure Emmitt is the one to be giving Dak contract advice, he did hold out for a new contract in 93. Doubt he had that same perspective when he was playing.
No cap then...

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
I don't want him outta here, but I don't want his paycheck to be the reason we don't sniff a SB as long as he's here.

i can understand a fan of the dak man not wanting him outta here, and I respect that.

but then, it comes down to money and what your value and how easily it can or can’t be replaced.

So I ask, what would be the easiest position to replace on the entire team for the cheapest amount of money?
1. Would it be the qb position going from $2m to $27ish (at minimum)
yet the player doesn’t get better, just his pay
2. Sign a cheap vet that wants to be on a good team and already made his money
3. Draft a guy, whatever it takes, to get a guy is highly talented.
4. Pay dak a $30m raise and change nothing (prob even lose some good players)

I ask what options you think the cowboys have? To realistically be a team that has a chance?

imo, it’s option 2 and 3.
I would encourage them to tag and trade dak if possible, which many think it is not possible (including me)......I do however encourage ppl to tell the teams that are in search of a $30+m dollar Dak Prescott caliber qb. I don’t think anybody would argue tua is better on day 1 than dak is on year 5.

Plus he checks a lot of boxes that keep peoples mouths shut and make them happy.

does anybody think that tua tag... would have won less than 8 games last year as the cowboys qb?

IMO, it’s the only position on the roster that lacks talent or a competitive-ness. The job was given to him, and to his credit he didn’t lose it, but he also didn’t earn the right to get a a $35m per year pay raise either.

time to shake hands and wish each other best of luck

kskboys

Reaction score
That’s your opinion but James Washington’s fumble return for a TD tied the game in the third quarter. It was certainly a big play no question about it however when the Cowboys got the ball back Emmitt took over. He scored the next two TDs....game over! There’s a reason Emmitt was named MVP of that Super Bowl.
Link.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak plays in a state the has no state taxes on income. He has and will have endorsements for being the starting QB of the Dallas Cowboys. He already has Adidas, New Era caps, Sleep Number beds, 7-Eleven, Pepsi, Oikos, Citi, and Cambell's Soup as his endorsers. And I'm sure there will be more (especially if he wins a Superbowl). So being the starting QB for Dallas does have its pro's. But I'm sure Emmitt is just saying that because he wants Dak and the Cowboys to have plenty of success.

Player contract demands are driven by the agents.

Agents get new clients based on their track record.

Market setting contracts with big name clients drives their business.

The agents actually get a bigger percentage of endorsement money but that does not make the news like top contract signings.

The reason that no state income tax has never been a legit factor in favor of the Cowboys is because it does not make any extra money for the agents.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Player contract demands are driven by the agents.

Agents get new clients based on their track record.

Market setting contracts with big name clients drives their business.

The agents actually get a bigger percentage of endorsement money but that does not make the news like top contract signings.

The reason that no state income tax has never been a legit factor in favor of the Cowboys is because it does not make any extra money for the agents.

who cares about state income tax when talking about dak prescott? Tell him to find a team willing to pay him $35m dollars per season, and then he can talk about state income tax. He can’t even get a contract from his own team