Twitter: Emmitt Smith's Advice for Dak

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Just because Emmitt was on a team that won 3 SB's a quarter of a century ago, doesnt make him an authority on contract negotiations
in 2020.
He could be trying to help dak, and thinking he should take the jones boys offer of 35 mil a year, which is not bad.
If dak gets tagged 1 year and then they draft a high pick to replace him, and if dak doesnt play well or gets hurt, then he may wind up
wishing he signed the longer term deal.
I think Dak is letting greed get the best of him, and he should take the current offer, but it is up to him, his life his money.
He is taking a big gamble though.

If they signed dak and contract was 20 % of current cap, the % would go down as cap increases each year.
one thing I wonder is what is the % of pay for RB and DE for teams that have won a SB, because it could be those 2 are overpays too.

We should find out more in march and april, if the cowboys dont draft a QB, or pick up a decent FA QB then they are going to roll with Dak.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not even close. That's fan spin.

@KJJ said:
That series in the third quarter where Emmitt took over is the main reason we won. He had over 60 yards rushing in that drive and completely took the will out of the Bills. It was all Cowboys from there.

That is a discredit to the other players on that team.

I'll never dispute the greatness of Emmitt, but he was rarely touched before gaining 2 yards and had a freakish number of times when he gain 5+ yards without being touched.

Erik Williams literally blocked 2 defenders at the same time on some plays. On 1 play he had 1 hand on 1 defender's chest and the other hand on another defender's chest and drove them both backwards while Emmitt ran behind him.

The defense, as the Jimmy defenses tended to do, got amped up as the game progressed and were smoother the QB and RB.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
who cares about state income tax when talking about dak prescott? Tell him to find a team willing to pay him $35m dollars per season, and then he can talk about state income tax. He can’t even get a contract from his own team

You seem to be uninformed.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I actually don't know how to copy and paste links.

I had that figured out last week. lol It’s not that easy to explain but the link below may help. I have an iPhone and most of the posting I do on this board and the links I provide are done on my phone. All I do to copy a link is highlight the address bar, which is a text box in a web browser displaying the address of the web page that is currently be viewed. So if I’m on this site I highlight “cowboyszone” in the address bar. Once it’s highlighted in blue on my phone I tap the far left edge of the address bar and it will give me several options and one of those options is to copy so I click copy. I’m sure there’s other ways to do it but that’s how I do it. Once the link is copied all I do is double tap with my finger on a post and the option to paste will appear. I click paste and there’s the link. If that doesn’t help you try the link. It may either confuse you more or explain it better. It may be easier for you to do on your computer.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/m.wikihow.com/Copy-and-Paste-a-Link?amp=1

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The cap hasn’t stopped players from holding out for more money. It didn’t stop Zeke or DLaw.
What does that have to do with the topic.

You said he should not be talking because he held out, but the situation was completely different.

Also, he has the wisdom of hindsight.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What does that have to do with the topic.

You said he should not be talking because he held out, but the situation was completely different.

Also, he has the wisdom of hindsight.

He shouldn’t be telling a player to take a discount on their first contract extension when he didn’t take a discount on his first contract extension. A second contract is an opportunity for a player to set themselves up financially for life. What was different was there was no cap back then but the point I’m making is the cap hasn’t stopped players from holding out for more money. Emmitt would have still held out regardless if there was a cap or not.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
@KJJ said:
That series in the third quarter where Emmitt took over is the main reason we won. He had over 60 yards rushing in that drive and completely took the will out of the Bills. It was all Cowboys from there.

I'll never dispute the greatness of Emmitt, but he was rarely touched before gaining 2 yards and had a freakish number of times when he gain 5+ yards without being touched.

Erik Williams literally blocked 2 defenders at the same time on some plays. On 1 play he had 1 hand on 1 defender's chest and the other hand on another defender's chest and drove them both backwards while Emmitt ran behind him.

The defense, as the Jimmy defenses tended to do, got amped up as the game progressed and were smoother the QB and RB.

It’s not a discredit to the other players but the fact is Emmitt was named the MVP of that SB. Is it a discredit to the other players to single out one player as the MVP? Not trying to take anything away from the defense but Emmitt took over that game in the third quarter. That’s my opinion if you disagree fine. It’s not worth having a big debate over.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I actually don't know how to copy and paste links.

Forgot to mention on your phone tap the address bar with your finger yo highlight it blue. On your computer use your mouse. Once the address bar is highlighted tap it once with your finger and the option to copy or paste will appear. After you copy the link tap your post and the option to paste will appear. Tap paste and the link will post. That may simplify it.

Last edited:

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Shall we go the route the qb doesn’t need a #1 wr again?
That worked real well.

shall we hand the defense out to dry more?
I can imagine how that will go.

shalle we whine about the rb? At least he is tradeable to teams trying to win, I dare the dak prescott led cowboys to get rid of him.

so why should the cowboys pay dak?
Oh yea
The shouldn’t
They won’t
They haven’t
Shake hands and wish each other the best

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
He didn't single handily win the 93 SB but was the main reason we won. No player "single handily" wins any game. Football is a team sport.
Thanks for clarifying that.
We lost 4 games that year, first 2 he missed, 1 when he went out with an injury against the falcons and the fluke Miami Snow Leon Lett game so....yeah, single handedly in football a little hard to say but pretty close.

Sevenup3000

Reaction score
Shall we go the route the qb doesn’t need a #1 wr again?
That worked real well.

shall we hand the defense out to dry more?
I can imagine how that will go.

shalle we whine about the rb? At least he is tradeable to teams trying to win, I dare the dak prescott led cowboys to get rid of him.

so why should the cowboys pay dak?
Oh yea
The shouldn’t
They won’t
They haven’t
Shake hands and wish each other the best

Why did you stop posting for basically all of September 2019 when the Cowboys were winning? You did the exact same thing at the end of 2018 too. Are you a Dallas fan?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
@KJJ said:

This is disrespectful to Emmitt and betrays a lack of understanding about football. Emmitt was a master at AVOIDING being contact so there were many times when guys would miss blocks and Emmitt would make the defender whiff anyway. I will tell you two quick stories to illustrate how special Emmitt was at this. One was told by Moose as Emmitt was chasing the record. He talked about how in Emmitt's rookie year, there was a redzone play were they were supposed to run outside and the OLB was Moose's man. Moose was supposed to hook the guy so Emmitt could get outside, only the OLB read the play and blasted past him to head Emmitt off at the pass. Moose said he whispered a little "oh sh&*&T!" to himself because he knew the guy was about to blow Emmitt up.. only when he turned around Emmitt had lured the guy back inside with a quick move, which allowed Moose to pancake the guy and Emmitt walked into the end zone. He said that was when he knew Emmitt was special. Because even if he missed the block Emmitt had the skill, vision, instinct and quickness to make the play successful.

The second story was told by a 49er linebacker.. last named Smith also (no relation and I forget his first name.) It was a short yardage play where the Cowboys ran through the A gap and the linebacker found himself unblocked in the hole. There was literally less than a foot of space between his shoulders and the next guy on either side. He said he braced for a collision but there wasn't one. Emmitt seemed to "dematerialize and ended up behind me and I never touched him. I just stood there with an armful of air." Those were his exact words. Even after watching film he couldn't understand how he missed this guy in such a small space.

The point is.. Emmitt had incredible quickness, agility, vision and balance. Maybe the best combination of those ever assembled in one back. He made people miss in small spaces and he would make backside cuts to daylight that made it seem like the line had caved everybody in when in fact they'd all been stalemated.

I have always said that part of Emmitt's image problem was that his effortless running style made it look too easy and the uninitiated are unable to appreciate what he was doing.

kskboys

Reaction score
I had that figured out last week. lol It’s not that easy to explain but the link below may help. I have an iPhone and most of the posting I do on this board and the links I provide are done on my phone. All I do to copy a link is highlight the address bar, which is a text box in a web browser displaying the address of the web page that is currently be viewed. So if I’m on this site I highlight “cowboyszone” in the address bar. Once it’s highlighted in blue on my phone I tap the far left edge of the address bar and it will give me several options and one of those options is to copy so I click copy. I’m sure there’s other ways to do it but that’s how I do it. Once the link is copied all I do is double tap with my finger on a post and the option to paste will appear. I click paste and there’s the link. If that doesn’t help you try the link. It may either confuse you more or explain it better. It may be easier for you to do on your computer.

https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/s/m.wikihow.com/Copy-and-Paste-a-Link?amp=1
I've never gotten on the internet on my phone. Only on my computer.

kskboys

Reaction score
Forgot to mention on your phone tap the address bar with your finger yo highlight it blue. On your computer use your mouse. Once the address bar is highlighted tap it once with your finger and the option to copy or paste will appear. After you copy the link tap your post and the option to paste will appear. Tap paste and the link will post. That may simplify it.
I MIGHT be able to figure that out!!!!