Emmitt's record remains safe

NickZepp

Reaction score
Had not Barry Sanders not shockingly "retired" from the miserable perennial Detroit Lions when he was still on an MVP level, ..even Emmitt with that Great Wall of Dallas, ..would not
have had a chance of catching Sanders.
And Barry always had a so-so OL ..at best, that's just how utter phenomenal he was as a pure runner.

i've always long thought both Sanders and Calvin " Megatron" Johnson should have demanded a trade and force their way out of Detroit to salvage their careers, rather than rot their
remaining careers on a forever hapless losers like Detroit.
Jim Brown could have probably got close to 20k yards in the 60s if he played another 5 years and kept his production like his last 4 years. He retired at 29. Sanders OL was usually pretty good. QB play and defenses were where they stunk at times.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Had not Barry Sanders not shockingly "retired" from the miserable perennial Detroit Lions when he was still on an MVP level, ..even Emmitt with that Great Wall of Dallas, ..would not
have had a chance of catching Sanders.
And Barry always had a so-so OL ..at best, that's just how utter phenomenal he was as a pure runner.

i've always long thought both Sanders and Calvin " Megatron" Johnson should have demanded a trade and force their way out of Detroit to salvage their careers, rather than rot their
remaining careers on a forever hapless losers like Detroit.

That I don’t disagree with either. Love #22 but there’s only one Barry Sanders.

Stafford… The only one who ever escaped. LOL

Tussinman

Reaction score
Frank Gore is probably the more mysterious NFL careers i've ever seen.

What has to be the most "quiet " non-splashy career ever as his career numbers are vastly overlooked and i believe if the question was asked around, his name would
never come up as recognized as one of the all time great RBs' in the NFL; such as Sanders, Emmitt, Dickerson, Faulk, Bettis, Campbell, Thomlinson. Thurman, Allen, Payton, Dorsett, Harris, etc.
and he wasn't a guy that was in the trade rumors,.. just left and came as FA here and there ..

Never seemed like the NFL network hero of the week or the year. ..

i just did not see the amount of interviews and documentaries on Frank Gore as i have even with the likes of Bo Jackson, Christian-Nigerian nightmare- Okoye, Chris Johnson, Natron Means, etc.

Did he ever lead the league in rushing yards or all purpose yards ?
Gore was the complete opposite of the modern runningback

Modern runningbacks from that era (Arian Foster, Bell, Gurley, Ray Rice, Chris Johnson, Murray, Jamall Charles) would all put up like 3 madden esque season then be out of the league.

Gore put up 85% as good of stats as they did but did it for 4x longer. Crazy considering the concern for his health coming into the NFL.
He reminds me of Curtis Martin type. Never really a top back maybe not even top 5 most years but just solid for a long time.
I kinda view Gore as Phillip Rivers.

In the top 6 to 10 range for most of there career but for a freakishly long time. Neither one of them made first team-all pro but where fringe pro bowlers for a very long time.
While I would take Gore on my team, I don't rate him as a Hall of Famer. I see the case for Martin. Guys like Dickerson are easily a cut above the rest.
He doesn't stand out due to only having 1 elite year but he has enough to get in.

5x pro bowl, all decade team (which is the same voters that vote for Canton) and 16k yards is enough to get in. Him being a locker-room leader, liked by the media, and an elite pass blocker are things that fans don't care bout but voters will consider as well for him
3rd all time in rushing yards. 19th all time in rushing TDs. 20th all time in receiving yards by a RB.

Phenomenal career. I hope Frank enjoys retirement.
Amazing career. He also made the all decade team which is very hard to get.

Never won the superbowl but had an amazing post season run (the conference championship game + superbowl he had a combined 200 yards, 3 touchdowns, and averaged 4.9 yards a carry). Divisional round against the packers 167 yards from scrimmage, 2 touchdowns and 5.2 yards per carry.

He was a beast during that superbowl run (5 total touchdowns and over 5.0 yards per carry average)

Last edited:

Pass2Run

Reaction score
It's going to be safe for a very long time. The game has changed so much between becoming a passing-orienting league, teams using a young, platoon of cheap backs vs. a workhorse as well as fullbacks going the way of the dinosaur that the record won't realistically be broken for at least another 25 years until we see another iteration of the fundamental game elements.

Derrick Henry? He's barely a 1/3 of the way there on six seasons - anyone really think he can hold up another 12 years? Nick Chubb, you got another 14 1,000 yard seasons in you? I won't even bring up Zeke after this sentence.

The last great hope died with AD's career and injuries.

They ruined our chances at a championship for years just to have this record in Dallas

Long after Emmitt was done they kept giving him the ball.

I'll never really like Emmitt for having such a huge ego he couldn't just hang it up when the talent had gone away .

The last part of his career was putrid.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Nobody will ever break that record. Good.

Enmitt’s the GOAT and I won’t even entertain an argument otherwise.

MJ is the GOAT of basketball because of his resume.

Jerry Rice is the GOAT for WRs because of his resume.

Emmitt is the GOAT for RBs because of his resume.

The only thing Emmitt was GOAT at was having the biggest ego.

The fact you guys are forgetting how much the team and fans suffered just so Emmitt could get the record tells me what kind of homers I'm reading get on their knees for Emmitt Smith

Several backs would have a better record if they ran behind the line he had.

Lots of "me" and "I" from Emmitt

I've never been happier to see a player go than i was when ES finally left.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
They ruined our chances at a championship for years just to have this record in Dallas

Long after Emmitt was done they kept giving him the ball.

I'll never really like Emmitt for having such a huge ego he couldn't just hang it up when the talent had gone away .

The last part of his career was putrid.

He was still a productive runner through most of his time in Dallas, sure he wasn't the same runner in his 30s but I never felt he was holding the team back. He happened to be playing on some bad teams too. Last 2 years in Arizona were forgettable but he still managed the same number of 100 yard games as Zeke last year haha.

I still wish Emmitt played his last few seasons in Dallas splitting carries, but at some point teams need to move off legends.

Nav22

Reaction score
The only thing Emmitt was GOAT at was having the biggest ego.

The fact you guys are forgetting how much the team and fans suffered just so Emmitt could get the record tells me what kind of homers I'm reading get on their knees for Emmitt Smith

Several backs would have a better record if they ran behind the line he had.

Lots of "me" and "I" from Emmitt

I've never been happier to see a player go than i was when ES finally left.
It’s cute that you held a grudge for this long, and that grudge outweighs your appreciation for a guy who helped us win 3 Super Bowls.

His selfishness while chasing the record totally hindered Dave Campo and Chad Hutchinson’s chances at leading us to glory!!!
:lmao2::lmao2::lmao2:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Frank Gore is probably the more mysterious NFL careers i've ever seen.

What has to be the most "quiet " non-splashy career ever as his career numbers are vastly overlooked and i believe if the question was asked around, his name would
never come up as recognized as one of the all time great RBs' in the NFL; such as Sanders, Emmitt, Dickerson, Faulk, Bettis, Campbell, Thomlinson. Thurman, Allen, Payton, Dorsett, Harris, etc.
and he wasn't a guy that was in the trade rumors,.. just left and came as FA here and there ..

Never seemed like the NFL network hero of the week or the year. ..

i just did not see the amount of interviews and documentaries on Frank Gore as i have even with the likes of Bo Jackson, Christian-Nigerian nightmare- Okoye, Chris Johnson, Natron Means, etc.

Did he ever lead the league in rushing yards or all purpose yards ?
What's actually even more nuts about Gore....he was the third best RB on his team in college.

Clinton Portis was the starter, and Willis McGahee pre knee injury was better than him.