Emmitt's record remains safe

Sheepherder

Reaction score
Zeke could get close, if we had a smart OC.
As long as Moore is here, Zeke's career will be wasted.
:popcorn:
I can't believe they brought Moore back. I don't see where he is all that great. Doesn't seem to make half time adjustments, I'm not impressed.

Nav22

Reaction score
Nobody will ever break that record. Good.

Enmitt’s the GOAT and I won’t even entertain an argument otherwise.

MJ is the GOAT of basketball because of his resume.

Jerry Rice is the GOAT for WRs because of his resume.

Emmitt is the GOAT for RBs because of his resume.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Said this a few times but his record is safe in perpetuum the game has changed RBs are not the focal points of the offense. I mean if a more freakish athlete than Bo Jackson or Jim Brown comes along and a team dedicates a ton of offense to the run AND he never gets injured, sure he could, maybe have a chance. But realistically it will not happen.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Emmitt Smith’s all-time rushing record withstands another challenger as Frank Gore retires

With platoons at rb and their short careers
I could see his record never being broken.
Also it's a passing league now.
Hats off to Emmitt!
One of my favorite players

plymkr

Reaction score
I'm really happy Gore is retiring and that's one less person within striking distance of Emmitt's record. The only other threat is Adrian Peterson now.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
What about when they start playing 20 games a season?

If we go to a 20 game season, then RBs for sure will never catch Smith. Just two back to back seasons of 40 games will kill any body on a bell cow RB.

That's 40 games in 24 months or 8 more games of car crashes in the same time period.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Safe to say that Emmitt will be in the history books as the NFL all time leading rusher for decades to come. And he is still overlooked by many when you list the top NFL rushers of all time. Gore was okay but longevity was his advantage and he still could not catch up to 22.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Records are meant to be broken and at some point an RB will come around that breaks it. Whether if thats 10 years down the road, 20, 50, or 100 who knows. However he will always be the alltime rushing leader under a 16 game schedule : ). Next up on the list is Zeke and Henry only 11k yards behind.

The tough part for today's rbs is the need to stay productive into your early to mid 30s and how much the game has changed. Teams aren't sticking with RBs for long careers, then they move on and they become part time players with another team.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Frank Gore is probably the more mysterious NFL careers i've ever seen.

What has to be the most "quiet " non-splashy career ever as his career numbers are vastly overlooked and i believe if the question was asked around, his name would
never come up as recognized as one of the all time great RBs' in the NFL; such as Sanders, Emmitt, Dickerson, Faulk, Bettis, Campbell, Thomlinson. Thurman, Allen, Payton, Dorsett, Harris, etc.
and he wasn't a guy that was in the trade rumors,.. just left and came as FA here and there ..

Never seemed like the NFL network hero of the week or the year. ..

i just did not see the amount of interviews and documentaries on Frank Gore as i have even with the likes of Bo Jackson, Christian-Nigerian nightmare- Okoye, Chris Johnson, Natron Means, etc.

Did he ever lead the league in rushing yards or all purpose yards ?
He reminds me of Curtis Martin type. Never really a top back maybe not even top 5 most years but just solid for a long time.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can;t figure out why mfers are saying "his record is safe NOW."

Well it's ALWAYS been safe...even back then!

He was special...our team was special.

I get it we tried to revive the RB with Zeke...and we ALMOST had it. And we gave it up. Not a sign of the times or Zeke it was this awful organization that didn't seize the opportunity.,

The abandoned it based on superstition. Totally crazy!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Records are meant to be broken and at some point an RB will come around that breaks it. Whether if thats 10 years down the road, 20, 50, or 100 who knows. However he will always be the alltime rushing leader under a 16 game schedule : ). Next up on the list is Zeke and Henry only 11k yards behind.

The tough part for today's rbs is the need to stay productive into your early to mid 30s and how much the game has changed. Teams aren't sticking with RBs for long careers, then they move on and they become part time players with another team.

Moore calls three running plays up the clogged middle with Dak TRIPPING over the centers feet.

Now...just imagine that. The QB moving backwards....for a delayed handoff.....TRIPPING over the center.

But it's zeke and the running game that sucks?

I say it's the play calls and wrong people that is the real problem. Not a commitment to a bona fide running game. Well yes...that is the problem too....easier to just pass 55 times a game for 400 yards and gloat about stats.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Current leading rushers among active running backs

Peterson 14918
Mark Ingram 7878 yards
Zeke 7386
Derrick Henry 6797
Le'Veon Bell 6554

Zeke and Henry are the only ones that have a chance. And it's slim for both.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I knew when I saw this on social media earlier that someone would post this.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Moore calls three running plays up the clogged middle with Dak TRIPPING over the centers feet.

Now...just imagine that. The QB moving backwards....for a delayed handoff.....TRIPPING over the center.

But it's zeke and the running game that sucks?

I say it's the play calls and wrong people that is the real problem. Not a commitment to a bona fide running game. Well yes...that is the problem too....easier to just pass 55 times a game for 400 yards and gloat about stats.

I agree not sold on Moore, but I also don't think Zeke is quite the same back. He can still be part of the solution in a balanced attack with Pollard, bur Moore really needs to do some run play calling studying. He showed zero ability to adapt.

quickccc

Reaction score
He reminds me of Curtis Martin type. Never really a top back maybe not even top 5 most years but just solid for a long time.

Imo, similar to Curtis Martin in how he was a similar methodical, ball control bell cow. Grinding, move the chains type. Nothing flashy about him. Not a big long run back.
I admit myself that i was never eager to see Gore play. He wasn't a ticket seller or TV network ratings getter.

- Frankly if i did my own top 10 all time RB list, i admit that Gore still would not be on it, despite his astounding career numbers.
But it was so ironic for a back that once had his career threatened by past ACL injuries, but yet last far more than most HOF NFL backs.

- Wasn't a mammoth, overpowering ala Bettis, Natrone Means, Campbell or Okoye,....
- Not high elusive ala Sanders, Marcus Allen,
- and wasn't top breakaway explosive ala Eric Dickerson, Edgrin James, Sanders, Faulk, Peterson or Thurman

- But there just isn't any question of how astoundingly durable and very sneaky productive Gore was.
He not only lasted a long time, but an " extraordinarily ' long time.
You just don't see those kind of pounding bell cows types like that.. lasting that long.

- It's gonna be interesting to see if the HOF voting panels considering voting Gore into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

quickccc

Reaction score
Zeke has more yards than Henry. That surprised me.

Henry didn't carry the pigskin early or even start in his career as he does now, as former Cowboys RB DeMarco Murray started over him until Titans felt it was Ole Henry time.

quickccc

Reaction score
Safe to say that Emmitt will be in the history books as the NFL all time leading rusher for decades to come. And he is still overlooked by many when you list the top NFL rushers of all time. Gore was okay but longevity was his advantage and he still could not catch up to 22.

No 22 was also immensely helped by what i (and maybe several others) would considered the greatest, most dominant OL in the history of the NFL ..

Amply named... " The Great Wall of Dallas " ..... :cool:

Flamma

Reaction score
The only way it is remotely possible is if a generational talent happens to meet up with a successful team running the ball. I mean winning super bowls. Think of Tennessee with a HOF quarterback and some nice WRs. Then comes the unlikely part. Finding that generational talent that can last long enough to break the record.

They don't make RBs like that anymore. And they had to endure that awful turf.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Imo, similar to Curtis Martin in how he was a similar methodical, ball control bell cow. Grinding, move the chains type. Nothing flashy about him. Not a big long run back.
I admit myself that i was never eager to see Gore play. He wasn't a ticket seller or TV network ratings getter.

- Frankly if i did my own top 10 all time RB list, i admit that Gore still would not be on it, despite his astounding career numbers.
But it was so ironic for a back that once had his career threatened by past ACL injuries, but yet last far more than most HOF NFL backs.

- Wasn't a mammoth, overpowering ala Bettis, Natrone Means, Campbell or Okoye,....
- Not high elusive ala Sanders, Marcus Allen,
- and wasn't top breakaway explosive ala Eric Dickerson, Edgrin James, Sanders, Faulk, Peterson or Thurman

- But there just isn't any question of how astoundingly durable and very sneaky productive Gore was.
He not only lasted a long time, but an " extraordinarily ' long time.
You just don't see those kind of pounding bell cows types like that.. lasting that long.

- It's gonna be interesting to see if the HOF voting panels considering voting Gore into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

If you told me Dallas was going to have a running back as consistent as Gore, I would take it. Depending on price, of course. A steady back that is there every season is a good thing. I definitely take all-time greats as my first choice, but he is a good 2nd choice. I have seen the Julius Jones and Marion Barber types who put together good game streaks, but don't really put up a full aolid season and definitely not multiple solid seasons. Gore wasn't producing great numbers, but each year he gave a team solid production.

I've seen the Curtis Martin comparison frequently over the years. It is an interesting comparison. One thing I look at when it comes to all-time greats is how many seasons did they average at least 83.33 yards per game. That is the average required to achieve 1000 yards in a 12 game season. Frank Gore only averaged that amount only one time. Martin did it 6 times. Then I look at seasons averaging over 90 ypg. Gore one time, Martin 4 times. Then averaging over 100 ypg. Both guys achieved that level once in their careers. Compare that to Eric Dickerson. He went over 83.33 ypg 7 times, over 90 ypg, 5 times and over 100 ypg 5 times.

While I would take Gore on my team, I don't rate him as a Hall of Famer. I see the case for Martin. Guys like Dickerson are easily a cut above the rest.