English Premier League 23/24

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Six weeks in and the league table has a familiar look. Man City are dominant and it feels like it's their title to lose already. Liverpool and Arsenal seem to be the only teams capable of pushing them. Man Utd seem to have regressed and Chelsea aren't any nearer to solving their problems. Spurs are coping well post Kane but are really only challenging for a top 4 spot. At the bottom, the 3 promoted teams are all looking out of their depth. Thoughts?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Well, I'm still waiting on Bournemouth to win one, but we've had ridiculously difficult schedule to start. Our next match is Everton. We need that match.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, I'm still waiting on Bournemouth to win one, but we've had ridiculously difficult schedule to start. Our next match is Everton. We need that match.
It's an important game for sure. The pool of relegation candidates is very small this year, probably only the 3 promoted teams, Everton and you.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Crazy set of results yesterday and oh Lord, please scrap VAR, it doesn't work properly.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
It's an important game for sure. The pool of relegation candidates is very small this year, probably only the 3 promoted teams, Everton and you.

Probably, but a win against Everton would be massive. Idk if we are going to be in a relegation scrap. I think we just had a ridiculous schedule to start the season. Luckily, it's becoming more favourable starting with Everton for us.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Can’t believe Aston took it to Brighton yesterday. I really like Brighton this year. They play like Nee Astor did last year….press alot. Love EPL. Watch more than NFL these days. Took my son to Chelsea v Arsenal at Chelsea last year and incredible experience

Miller

Reaction score
Can’t believe Aston took it to Brighton yesterday. I really like Brighton this year. They play like Nee Astor did last year….press alot. Love EPL. Watch more than NFL these days. Took my son to Chelsea v Arsenal at Chelsea last year and incredible experience
That was New Castle…sorry

joseephuss

Reaction score
Chelsea look like garbage. They don't look like a team, but rather a bunch of individuals thrown on the pitch together. Still plenty of matches left in the season, but they have their work cut out for them to even get a place in Europa League for next season.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Chelsea look like garbage. They don't look like a team, but rather a bunch of individuals thrown on the pitch together. Still plenty of matches left in the season, but they have their work cut out for them to even get a place in Europa League for next season.
They looked a little better last night but yes, they are still struggling to get anywhere near the levels their fans are used to. It is a long season as you say but when you look at the teams they have played so far, they've a lot of harder fixtures to come.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Six weeks in and the league table has a familiar look. Man City are dominant and it feels like it's their title to lose already. Liverpool and Arsenal seem to be the only teams capable of pushing them. Man Utd seem to have regressed and Chelsea aren't any nearer to solving their problems. Spurs are coping well post Kane but are really only challenging for a top 4 spot. At the bottom, the 3 promoted teams are all looking out of their depth. Thoughts?
Chelsea have won 2 straight going away and appear to have the makings of a top 6 side again FINALLY.
Obviously, they need to get some guys back on the pitch but this is a team with a solid top 11 right now.
I think Poch has the squad figured out.
Burney, Arsenal, Brentford to finish OCT gives them a chance to add points and get guys back.
November will tell the tale with TOTs, Man City, Blackburn plus the Carabou Cup.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Would have agreed with you 10 days ago. Painful to watch all last year and the start to the season.
But Chelsea have the 2nd highest expected goals scored and 3rd least goals allowed suggesting they are playing better than the table shows.
10 first-team players on the treatment table.
https://www.premierinjuries.com/teams/chelsea

They need a striker on form but have had Jackson and Mudryk both flash in the last 2 games and got a solid 1st run from Broja.

Should get their best player, Reece James, back to face Arsenal.

Miller

Reaction score
Would have agreed with you 10 days ago. Painful to watch all last year and the start to the season.
But Chelsea have the 2nd highest expected goals scored and 3rd least goals allowed suggesting they are playing better than the table shows.

They need a striker on form but have had Jackson and Mudryk both flash in the last 2 games and got a solid 1st run from Broja.

Quietly Enzo having a terrific season distributing from the midfield

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Quietly Enzo having a terrific season distributing from the midfield
Enzo, Caicedo and Conor G seem to be a really solid, young trio in midfield.
Enzo looks like a future captain.
Reece should be back for Arsenal.

Miller

Reaction score
Arsenal v Man City. First half pretty physical on MCs part. Trying to rough them up without Saka. Feel like they were both feeling things out a bit. Should be interesting 2nd half. Enjoyed Newcastle v West Ham earlier Newcastle lost a little when Wilson came in late

StylisticS

Reaction score
Excellent excellent win for the gunners. Needed that going into the international break. Now Saka needs to rest. I hope Southgate doesn’t play him.

Glad to see Partey and Martinelli back. Both were key subs obviously.

Miller

Reaction score
Excellent excellent win for the gunners. Needed that going into the international break. Now Saka needs to rest. I hope Southgate doesn’t play him.

Glad to see Partey and Martinelli back. Both were key subs obviously.
You could tell Man City was missing the midfield work of Rodri and De Bruyne also

joseephuss

Reaction score

Chelsea had a set back the past couple of games. Soccer is funny in that it is constant change. The Chelsea squad is completely overhauled and some not for the better. Sometimes teams make changes just for the sake of making changes.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Chelsea had a set back the past couple of games. Soccer is funny in that it is constant change. The Chelsea squad is completely overhauled and some not for the better. Sometimes teams make changes just for the sake of making changes.
The Liverpool draw was whatever. That is a good team and Chelsea was the better team until late.

The Brentford let down was real. That team parked a bus and Chelsea had no clue. Have to get better at set pieces and find a target player at the 9.

Feels like a top 6 side to me but likely 5 or 6.

They rebuilt very, very young. I am a fan of Palmer, Enzo and Caicedo for the long term the defense has been spotty to bad and the GK is doing a bit.

Miller

Reaction score
Man City finally looked like Man City yesterday. Passing that second half was sublime. Of course Man U is in disarray so that helps.

Wolves and Newcastle had a really fun game to watch. Both teams were aggressive and a draw seemed deserved for both.