Entire staff of Sports Illustrated to be fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sports Illustrated has been tanking for awhile. They've been accused of generating articles through AI.

Creeper

Reaction score
Per WaPo

ABG has owned the magazine since 2019 and sold the publishing rights to a company called the Arena Group. The Arena Group missed a recent payment for those publishing rights, prompting ABG to pull the publishing license and putting the future of Sports Illustrated in jeopardy. “As a result of this license revocation, we will be laying off staff that work on the SI brand,” the note to staff read, adding that some employees would be terminated immediately, while others would work through the end of a 90-day notice period.
Thanks for this explanation. It make more sense now. I wonder what ABG's plans are now. Will they publish SI themselves or find a new buyer?

The internet has destroyed magazines. People don't need to read them to get information. Everyone today is a publisher of sorts.

I used to subscribe to SI years ago when they mailed a printed copy to my home every edition. I cancelled it because I thought the spent too much time on obscure sports that I had no interest in. I realized a few pages on football and baseball was not enough for the fees I was paying. I never missed it after I cancelled. There are better publications to obtain the information I prefer.

1942willys

Reaction score
It has been garbage for years; probably twenty years at least.
Good riddance.

I am old enough to remember what it was; when unless you got a major newspaper or at least a medium sized one you missed out on a lot of sports news. SI gave that to you, They were THE sports magazine for decades.
They covered all the major sports and a lot of the interesting minor ones and had great coverage of the major events like the World Series; and great coverage of the Olympics
But starting in the 90's they started to go to crap and its been all downhill since

Rayman70

Reaction score
Jerrah could buy the brand name rights if he wanted. But I can't help but wonder why now? Hmmm....Fisher was very critical of Dallas and the Jones family over the last week or so. Its probably just a coincidence. Mike has been bragging about his SI gig,office across the hall from Jerry ,now he is caput. Its all gone just Iike that. Interesting timing. Karma is real.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It has been garbage for years; probably twenty years at least.
Good riddance.

I am old enough to remember what it was; when unless you got a major newspaper or at least a medium sized one you missed out on a lot of sports news. SI gave that to you, They were THE sports magazine for decades.
They covered all the major sports and a lot of the interesting minor ones and had great coverage of the major events like the World Series; and great coverage of the Olympics
But starting in the 90's they started to go to crap and its been all downhill since
yip,exactly Its like the enquirer or Daily mirror for Sports. Its kin to the WWE magazine these days. Very deliberate and scripted.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
That's brutal, especially in this current economy/everything costs so much to just a roof over your head.
Hoping most of the people laid off get a good severance.
You have not seeing nothing yet the worst yet to come ( 1% take over)

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Change the headline from staff of sports illustrated to “coaching staff of cowboys” and we will care

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Jerrah could buy the brand name rights if he wanted. But I can't help but wonder why now? Hmmm....Fisher was very critical of Dallas and the Jones family over the last week or so. Its probably just a coincidence. Mike has been bragging about his SI gig,office across the hall from Jerry ,now he is caput. Its all gone just Iike that. Interesting timing. Karma is real.
In this day and age it's pretty easy to go freelance. I work as an executive in publishing and you'd be surprised how many of our "employees", even ones that aren't writers, are freelancers with remote work.

Fisher has his own brand anyway and he'll likely go independent. Now, I have no idea how the Cowboys handle press credentials but I imagine with his history with the organization he wouldn't find it overly difficult to get new ones issued and probably continue as is despite lacking the magazine brand.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Sports Illustrated has been tanking for awhile. They've been accused of generating articles through AI.
Fake AI generated articles. Its true. They been circling the drain for several years. Now in a volatile economy, they just can't last. Its over. Many of the journalists that remain are older than the hills and were being shoved out by the gen z types anyway. Its nothing more than a WWE magazine style rag anymore. Much like the Daily Mirror in the UK or the Enquirer. The likes of Mike Fisher were beholden to his own opinions and that of Jerry, which doomed him in the end. He will ride off into the sunset and focus on his YT channel and Bar I guess. I saw this coming for a while. Once you become a far directional rag, less about actual sports, then you are doomed to obscurity. Ask ESPN.

Rayman70

Reaction score
In this day and age it's pretty easy to go freelance. I work as an executive in publishing and you'd be surprised how many of our "employees", even ones that aren't writers, are freelancers with remote work.

Fisher has his own brand anyway and he'll likely go independent. Now, I have no idea how the Cowboys handle press credentials but I imagine with his history with the organization he wouldn't find it overly difficult to get new ones issued and probably continue as is despite lacking the magazine brand.
yeah, it will certainly be interesting what he says on it,if anything. But I agree. He will be ok I guess.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
yeah, it will certainly be interesting what he says on it,if anything. But I agree. He will be ok I guess.
I imagine he'll say exactly what his severance deal lets him say. He seems to be TweetXing normally today so I'd wager it won't be a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.