EPL Season 2019-2020

joseephuss

Reaction score
Silva is up there in age, but is a quality CB. Ben Chilwell may be the answer at left back.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...hiago-silva-from-psg-on-two-year-deal-sources

Chelsea to sign Thiago Silva from PSG on two-year deal - sources

Thiago Silva will sign a two-year deal for Chelsea this week after leaving Paris Saint-Germain on a free, sources have told ESPN.

The PSG captain's contract at the French club ran out at the end of the previous campaign but he played all the Champions League knockout matches -- including in the 1-0 final defeat to Bayern Munich -- but was not offered a new deal after eight years at the Parc des Princes.

The Brazil centre-back has agreed personal terms with Chelsea, although minor details are still left to sort out. He will speak to manager Frank Lampard on Monday once he is back in Paris from Lisbon.

The big attraction for Chelsea, who are also expected to sign Ben Chilwell from Leicester for a fee around £50 million and are closing in on the signing of Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen on top of the deals already done for Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech, is they won't have to pay a transfer fee for the former AC Milan defender.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Silva is up there in age, but is a quality CB. Ben Chilwell may be the answer at left back.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-...hiago-silva-from-psg-on-two-year-deal-sources

Chelsea to sign Thiago Silva from PSG on two-year deal - sources

Thiago Silva will sign a two-year deal for Chelsea this week after leaving Paris Saint-Germain on a free, sources have told ESPN.

The PSG captain's contract at the French club ran out at the end of the previous campaign but he played all the Champions League knockout matches -- including in the 1-0 final defeat to Bayern Munich -- but was not offered a new deal after eight years at the Parc des Princes.

The Brazil centre-back has agreed personal terms with Chelsea, although minor details are still left to sort out. He will speak to manager Frank Lampard on Monday once he is back in Paris from Lisbon.

The big attraction for Chelsea, who are also expected to sign Ben Chilwell from Leicester for a fee around £50 million and are closing in on the signing of Kai Havertz from Bayer Leverkusen on top of the deals already done for Timo Werner and Hakim Ziyech, is they won't have to pay a transfer fee for the former AC Milan defender.
I like this move for Chelsea as they need a stabilizer in the middle.
Play him next to Reece James it will help develop the youngster.

Downside is I see Tomori may now be loaned out.

What's clear is Chelsea are going for a treble next year. --yes heinously unlikely but they are putting out the best team possible unlike this past season under ban.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My Blues have hit a rough patch! BLEH!
Gotta find the keyy to unlock Werner, probably by playing him more as a false 9 and letting him run 10 with Pulisic and Ziyech in the game not play him in their stead on the wing.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Frank Lampard fired. Top flight soccer is brutal. Manager/coaching changes are made on the regular. Rosters are constantly changing.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Frank Lampard fired. Top flight soccer is brutal. Manager/coaching changes are made on the regular. Rosters are constantly changing.

Sad day... Fed up of the constant changing of managers at the club, thought this time for a change that the manager would be given more time.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Love Lampard because my fanship began at the beginning of his Chelsea career but the team was dead in the water with no tactical plan out.
The team was just getting both outworked and outclassed and that's inexcusable for any EPL side.

I'm hopeful for Tuchel given his ties to Pulisic and the German kids.
We need a lot more from that group.
They've got to find that center back pairing who can work with the defensive midfield to shut people down.

The board has to decide if they want to develop 21 year olds or win titles. It's really, really hard to do both.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Sad day... Fed up of the constant changing of managers at the club, thought this time for a change that the manager would be given more time.
That is my concern as well.
I feel like Lamps had lost the plot but changing managers every 18 months isn't the answer for anyone.
Find a manager and build a style of football then go get your guys to elevate that style to the best executed version in the world.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
That is my concern as well.
I feel like Lamps had lost the plot but changing managers every 18 months isn't the answer for anyone.
Find a manager and build a style of football then go get your guys to elevate that style to the best executed version in the world.

Problem was, that the players he didn’t want to keep weren’t moved on and they stayed and poisoned the dressing room.
The likes of Alonso, Kepa, Rudiger etc, should have been sold.
But yeah, Lamps was making poor decisions and clearly had lost the dressing room bar a few players.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Not much to take from the draw today in the Tuchel debut but I am hopeful we see a bit more Mount, Pulisic and a bit less Havertz and Giroud. (not necessarily as direct replacements obviously.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Not much to take from the draw today in the Tuchel debut but I am hopeful we see a bit more Mount, Pulisic and a bit less Havertz and Giroud. (not necessarily as direct replacements obviously.

Thought it was a really bad lineup when I first seen it... and 90 minutes later I knew it was.
Dropping Mount, who has been the best player this season, and starting Giroud who is far more effective off the bench, were terrible decisions.
Very disappointed with the result and performance, Wolves were there to be beaten and we blew our lines.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Thought it was a really bad lineup when I first seen it... and 90 minutes later I knew it was.
Dropping Mount, who has been the best player this season, and starting Giroud who is far more effective off the bench, were terrible decisions.
Very disappointed with the result and performance, Wolves were there to be beaten and we blew our lines.
Like that he owned it was an "unjust" selection that went with old heads for experience.

We shall see I guess.

I think Mount can do anything Havertz can and just plays harder.

I am not against heavy rotation of these guys but we lack scoring that and need to keep that on the pitch.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
Like that he owned it was an "unjust" selection that went with old heads for experience.

We shall see I guess.

I think Mount can do anything Havertz can and just plays harder.

I am not against heavy rotation of these guys but we lack scoring that and need to keep that on the pitch.

Mount is the only player I’ve seen at Chelsea for at least the last decade, that can take a good corner kick...
It’s no coincidence that we’ve scored so many from corners this season with him taking them... and last night we were back to being unable to get the ball past the first defender while he was sat on the bench.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Mount is the only player I’ve seen at Chelsea for at least the last decade, that can take a good corner kick...
It’s no coincidence that we’ve scored so many from corners this season with him taking them... and last night we were back to being unable to get the ball past the first defender while he was sat on the bench.

I thought Ziyech was doing a good job on corners several weeks back. What changed?

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I thought Ziyech was doing a good job on corners several weeks back. What changed?

He can’t stay fit enough to be on the pitch! Lol
Hopefully he won’t pick up anymore knocks, though this season was always going to be hard keeping players fit and integrating new players while having virtually no preseason.

csirl

Reaction score
Deadline day is very quiet this year for obvious reasons. Sky Sports News should back off the trying to hype some youth team player going on loan!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Tuchel has been aces! Chelsea grind at times with that back 3 plus 2 number 6s but man it is effective.

Just gotta get that attacking mix settled.