Video: Eric Dickerson thinks coaching and our scheme are the main problems

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
These guys must read the Zone. Dickerson makes the same point about how people thought Goff and Gurley were busts until McVay showed up.

He likes Dak and thinks our main issues are with JG and our scheme.

So now that's two that agree with me...

Chris Carter
Eric Dickerson

But someone on here (if they haven't already done so) will call them both Cowboys haters & dismiss both opinions. :rolleyes:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My conversation was specifically related to our WR's. I'd take Romo back in a heartbeat over Dak but I am afraid that Jerry is either going to part ways with coaching OR our QB. Not both. and more bad news is that the coach that will be gone is Linehan (which isn't a bad decision) but JG will stay. I am all for lighting this thing up and starting over. Jerry won't do that because true change starts with himself and we know he won't do that.

I think JG and Dak stay, and Linehan will be gone.
Jerry already has his mind made up, live or die with Dak and JG.
Linehan will be sacrificed if it does not turn around. then jerry can say, we made changes. He has his built in excuses to keep Jason.
Unless this team is like 3-13, nothing will really change.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Do people think the offense got simpler since 2016? Because it's the same coach and the same coordinator and the same QB.

It isn't the scheme. The scheme has been successful for a long time. It's the protection breaking down and the QB's level of play dropping off dramatically when it does.

Just because Romo could check out of the plays called and find a way to make it less obvious doesn't mean that the scheme is great. We are hearing from hall of fame players who played offense in the league and they are telling you we are too simple. Simple works when you have the dominating players like the best OL in the game or Emmitt and Irvin. But you have to be able to run over your man to win that way. That is why teams with far less talent use more creativity. It's easier to be creative than it is to have the leagues best players. It's how the Patriots win no matter the talent on the field. And before you say it's Brady. They have a great winning percentage in games he didn't play in as well.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Linehan will be sacrificed if it does not turn around. then jerry can say, we made changes. He has his built in excuses to keep Jason.

Yep. Some other coach will be brought in and made to run to the same scheme. You want to guess what the result will look like?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
These guys must read the Zone. Dickerson makes the same point about how people thought Goff and Gurley were busts until McVay showed up.

Who are these people who thought Goff and Gurley were busts?
Goff was a rookie and undersized. You can't call a rookie a bust after one season.
Gurley was hurt, but I don't recall anyone saying he was a bust.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
Good stuff in this thread about the play-action. I think that is the issue many here have with the coaching staff is their inability to adjust and/or stick with a game plan that works. I know this is stating the obvious, but, I would be fine with this staff if they could implement a game plan that works and if it doesn't.................try adjusting! It seems like they come in with some plan and they're hellbent on making it work come hell or high water.

Pants

Reaction score
next topic up for Dickerson? water is wet

Note: good stuff by the 'zone on play-action

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Just because Romo could check out of the plays called and find a way to make it less obvious doesn't mean that the scheme is great. We are hearing from hall of fame players who played offense in the league and they are telling you we are too simple. Simple works when you have the dominating players like the best OL in the game or Emmitt and Irvin. But you have to be able to run over your man to win that way. That is why teams with far less talent use more creativity. It's easier to be creative than it is to have the leagues best players. It's how the Patriots win no matter the talent on the field. And before you say it's Brady. They have a great winning percentage in games he didn't play in as well.
Experts have been saying since we moved from Texas Stadium that our offense is simple. Ray Lewis, Janoris Jenkins, Osi Umenyiora, Richard Sherman, etc., all have said, hinted or implied that the Cowboys offense is vanilla.

But, alas, we're stuck because we're trying to recreate the glory years of the 90s. So we hire coaches who implement a scheme from 20 years ago hoping our players miraculously become Troy Aikman, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith and the Great Wall of Dallas. Sigh!

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Same scheme we had for years under JG. This includes top 5 level for a season and a half with Dak at QB. Not the scheme. I have no idea what changed after that Falcons game last season but we have not looked the same or no where near the same since that game. I'm one that thinks JG is an excellent coach and when the time comes he will win a Superbowl as a coach but I think he has lost the players ear. Players pointing fingers in the media was something that never happened under his tenure before. This season is far from over and we have a chance to make the playoffs; but JG needs to get these players focused again. If that does not happen it is going to be a longer season that it already has been.

Sydla

Reaction score
So now that's two that agree with me...

Chris Carter
Eric Dickerson

But someone on here (if they haven't already done so) will call them both Cowboys haters & dismiss both opinions. :rolleyes:

Greg Cosell and Ross Tucker looked at tape too this week and basically said similar things. Scheme is bland, no attempts to really help the WRs, team runs a lot of concepts that just expect the WR to beat his man regardless of the coverages, etc.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Yeah, my uncle Schlong who is as relevant now as Dickerson, thinks the same thing. Now we have the answer. Schlong and Dick agree :laugh:

Sydla

Reaction score

Pretty much agree

Big_D

Reaction score
Defenses have plenty of film which didn't exist in 2016 and these coaches are baffled on what to do. The scheme is ridiculous. Just look at that 3rd and 1 where Beasley was lined up at HB. Then a no surprise punt on 4th and 1. lol Moronic is an understatement. These coaches blow.

visionary

Reaction score
I'm not believing Dickerson or Aikman or Romo that our coaching is trash because they don't know anything

Luminaries like Jerry and @Idgit told me Garrett is a great HC and just needs more time

:grin:

Big_D

Reaction score
I'm not believing Dickerson or Aikman or Romo that our coaching is trash because they don't know anything

Luminaries like Jerry and @Idgit told me Garrett is a great HC and just needs more time

:grin:

opposing defenses say it, players say it after they leave, even current players like Hurns are calling it out, and people still don't want to believe it. I'm sure the Jags D is nervous about this offense! lol Just the yearly lack of talent excuse.

We'll see how these coaches respond… it's a comedy of errors.

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
Dak has something like 112 QB rating and 9 yards per attempt when using play action and around 66 QB rating and 6 yards per attempt for rest of his passes. Yet we are in the bottom third of the teams when it comes to play action attempts. Rams are number one in attempts this year. This was same with Romo. I made a similar post about this in 2012 when people were hating on Romo then.

You followed X's and O's of the NFL long? Do you realize NFL coaches are the top of all sports at making adjustments. Things the average fan does not grasp. You start play actioning every passing down and they will shut that down faster than you can blink. You play action when the defense is not expecting or anticipating it. THAT is what makes play action a success. LOL. Not just because. At the NFL level, you QB has to be able to read and adjust to the defense FROM THE POCKET! Or he will be a failure, period! Yeah, rolling out and offset plays, aka Vik and others over the years is nice, but those guys could also stand in the pocket! Dak cannot. He sucks at making even a second read and is not accurate when he does find the one guy. He also hesitates. You think just rolling him out each play is going to work? LOL. Seriously! Come on man.

dckid

Reaction score

I actually saw this video yesterday evening before looking at your post. I agree with ED for once.
He says all the stuff I said. McVay came in and changed the whole dynamic of the Rams.
He made Goff a much better QB. It's always about coaching and preparation. This is a passing and creative league.
Cowboys are running a 90's scheme in a 2018 league. It will never work.

Zman5

Reaction score
You followed X's and O's of the NFL long? Do you realize NFL coaches are the top of all sports at making adjustments. Things the average fan does not grasp. You start play actioning every passing down and they will shut that down faster than you can blink. You play action when the defense is not expecting or anticipating it. THAT is what makes play action a success. LOL. Not just because. At the NFL level, you QB has to be able to read and adjust to the defense FROM THE POCKET! Or he will be a failure, period! Yeah, rolling out and offset plays, aka Vik and others over the years is nice, but those guys could also stand in the pocket! Dak cannot. He sucks at making even a second read and is not accurate when he does find the one guy. He also hesitates. You think just rolling him out each play is going to work? LOL. Seriously! Come on man.

You want to explain why Dak who supposedly can't read defenses well does so much better when using PA pass? Not just little better but night and day better.

If what you say is true and the QB has to read the defenses well in order for play action to work, he should suck when attempting PA pass.