Eric Moulds and Mike Williams Might be available from Buffalo

KingTuna

Reaction score
Moulds would be a great pickup on a 1-2 year deal...Has chemistry with Bledsoe..Was his top WR for 3 years in Buffalo...

-- Bills have Decisions to Make on Moulds & Williams --
Sun Jan 29, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reports the Buffalo Bills have to decide what to do with WR Eric Moulds and ORT Mike Williams. Each carries a cap figure of roughly $10.8 million. No team can tie up $22 million in two players, particularly a receiver that turns 33 and a lineman that lost his starting job. The Bills could release both players and see a cap savings of more than $10 million. However, because Moulds and Williams are each under contract for two more years and still have major amounts of past bonus money that's yet to be amortized, whatever Buffalo saves in cap room will be given back in "dead" money. That's because when a player is cut or traded, any unamortized bonus money accelerates immediately onto that year's books. Therefore, it's possible the Bills will try to keep both players by talking them into taking pay cuts or redoing their deals. According to the NFL Player's Association, Moulds ($6.089 million) and Williams ($4 million) have hefty base salaries so there is room to be gained. A common practice is to lower a player's base salary (no more than 30 percent by rule) and pay the difference in bonus money that can be spread out over the length of the contract extension. Moulds re-did his deal last year, adding on a year and saving Buffalo $2 million to $3 million in room. Even though he remains Buffalo's best receiver, Moulds turns 33 in July and continually extending the contracts of players his age has gotten other clubs into cap jail when that player no longer can produce and is cut. Furthermore, Moulds may want to hook on with a playoff contender rather than start yet another rebuilding project with his fifth head coach. As for Williams, the fourth overall pick in 2002, he's on record as saying he wants to remain a Bill and would play guard, even though guards are paid on average less than tackles in the NFL. Williams is only 26 and the Bills' new staff may deem him worth salvaging.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
KingTuna said:
Moulds would be a great pickup on a 1-2 year deal...Has chemistry with Bledsoe..Was his top WR for 3 years in Buffalo...

I like Moulds but just because they worked well together in the past does mean that it's going to be the same the second time around. Peerless Price?

KingTuna

Reaction score
The_Jackal said:
I like Moulds but just because they worked well together in the past does mean that it's going to be the same the second time around. Peerless Price?

True but Price had only 1 year with him...Moulds had 3 and was his #1 target ALL 3 seasons..

Dyluke

Reaction score
I'd take big Mike Williams in a second. He's been a disappointment but his best football is still ahead of him. 26 years old? Please, he would be a no-brainer if released

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Dyluke said:
I'd take big Mike Williams in a second. He's been a disappointment but his best football is still ahead of him. 26 years old? Please, he would be a no-brainer if released

Best football still ahead of him? That's not saying much because he couldn't possibly play any worse in the future.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Has chemistry with Bledsoe? This reeks of Peerless Price all over again.

Lost a lot of respect for Moulds with his antics this year.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
abersonc said:
Best football still ahead of him? That's not saying much because he couldn't possibly play any worse in the future.

Another I got wrong...I really thought Mike Williams was gonna be a very solid tackle...I didn't think HOF but just a good solid tackle...those that haven't seen him play much in the pro's..think torrin tucker (got lots of talent just can't seem to put it together)..

now having said all that I am not sure if we should be the team that gives him another try as our coaches haven't done a good enough job with what we got here

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
think torrin tucker (got lots of talent just can't seem to put it together)..

Tucker is being played out of position. He needs to be a guard not a tackle.

hockix

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

You are so right.
Tucker was a really good guard not a tackle.
I don't understand why they want him to play tackle.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

Guard or Tackle? He's more out of place as a starter. He needs to be a backup who never sees the field.

wileedog

Reaction score
hockix said:
You are so right.
Tucker was a really good guard not a tackle.
I don't understand why they want him to play tackle.

Supposedly he's the most "agile" of all of our Olineman, which is why they keep trying to make him work at Tackle.

Personally I agree the experiment is over.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
Another I got wrong...I really thought Mike Williams was gonna be a very solid tackle...I didn't think HOF but just a good solid tackle...those that haven't seen him play much in the pro's..think torrin tucker (got lots of talent just can't seem to put it together)..

now having said all that I am not sure if we should be the team that gives him another try as our coaches haven't done a good enough job with what we got here

With Williams what concerned me coming out was that he was projected as an RT. Any team who spends a top 5 pick on an RT is stupid in my book. Protection is great but the first round isn't where you find RTs.

But 31 sacks in 48 starts is just very bad play. Consistently bad across seasons. People got on Petitti this year -- but imagine if you had a top 5 pick getting blown away like Rob did on his worst days. Now imagine if that kept happening in year 2, 3, and 4. That's Mike Williams.

That said, I though he'd be great too.

neosapien23

Reaction score
abersonc said:
With Williams what concerned me coming out was that he was projected as an RT. Any team who spends a top 5 pick on an RT is stupid in my book. Protection is great but the first round isn't where you find RTs.

But 31 sacks in 48 starts is just very bad play. Consistently bad across seasons. People got on Petitti this year -- but imagine if you had a top 5 pick getting blown away like Rob did on his worst days. Now imagine if that kept happening in year 2, 3, and 4. That's Mike Williams.

That said, I though he'd be great too.

The guy weighs 360lbs. He is extremely overweight and could probably shed 30lbs.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
The guy weighs 360lbs. He is extremely overweight and could probably shed 30lbs.

I wonder why the Bills never thought of that.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
Neither of these guys will wear a star. Key is flat out better than Moulds and Moulds is a huge whiner if he doesn't get the ball enough. This year he took himself out of a game because he was mad Lee Evans caught 3 TD's in the 1st half and he wasn't seeing the ball. Then he refused to go back in when the receivers coach asked him to. When he finally decided to go back in the coaches said no. The Bills ended up blowing a 21-0 lead in the 4th quarter and lost 24-23 to the Dolphins. Moulds was suspended for the next game. If they ask Bledsoe I doubt he'd want any part of Moulds.

Mike Williams had one of the top OL coaches in the league in Mouse Mcnally the last 2 years and he couldn't get his lard *** to play. First he lost his starting right tackle job to Jason Peters. Then they tried him at LG and he was benched for waste of space Bennie Anderson. He's hurt a lot, he's overweight and he doesn't really love the game. It's sad really.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:

I am not sure why we don't give him a try there...:huh: