Eric Moulds and Mike Williams Might be available from Buffalo

TheHustler

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
However, because Moulds and Williams are each under contract for two more years and still have major amounts of past bonus money that's yet to be amortized, whatever Buffalo saves in cap room will be given back in "dead" money. That's because when a player is cut or traded, any unamortized bonus money accelerates immediately onto that year's books. Therefore, it's possible the Bills will try to keep both players by talking them into taking pay cuts or redoing their deals.

So the cap hit is the same regardless of whether or not they keep Moulds and Williams or release them.

Doesn't sound like they are going anywhere.

Hiero

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind giving Mike Williams a look. Potential beast at RT. Parcells just needs to whip his fat butt into shape.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
abersonc said:
With Williams what concerned me coming out was that he was projected as an RT. Any team who spends a top 5 pick on an RT is stupid in my book. Protection is great but the first round isn't where you find RTs.

But 31 sacks in 48 starts is just very bad play. Consistently bad across seasons. People got on Petitti this year -- but imagine if you had a top 5 pick getting blown away like Rob did on his worst days. Now imagine if that kept happening in year 2, 3, and 4. That's Mike Williams.

That said, I though he'd be great too.

Well, I posted this on another thread but I share your opinion on Williams, coming out. He had an abundance of talent. He really should be playing better then he is. His talent didn't just dry up and blow away. A change would probably do him a great deal of good. One thing is for sure, if he came to Dallas, it would mean that he got a pretty good referance from Bledsoe. I can not imagine an OL from Buffalo being brought in without one.

hockix

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Well, I posted this on another thread but I share your opinion on Williams, coming out. He had an abundance of talent. He really should be playing better then he is. His talent didn't just dry up and blow away. A change would probably do him a great deal of good. One thing is for sure, if he came to Dallas, it would mean that he got a pretty good referance from Bledsoe. I can not imagine an OL from Buffalo being brought in without one.

What makes me afraid is I didn't see any Olineman improve for some years in Dallas.

In we bring any FA he better be good already cause I don't trust our oline coach.

But you know, I hope Sparano will make me eat my words...

Hiero

Reaction score
abersonc said:
I wonder why the Bills never thought of that.
cuz they're the Bills? They have Losman at QB and no respect. They dont have Parcells.

silver

Reaction score
hockix said:
You are so right.
Tucker was a really good guard not a tackle.
I don't understand why they want him to play tackle.

Out of necessity, we don't have anybody else. The Rogers bust has trickle down effects.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
hockix said:
What makes me afraid is I didn't see any Olineman improve for some years in Dallas.

In we bring any FA he better be good already cause I don't trust our oline coach.

But you know, I hope Sparano will make me eat my words...

Well, I don't know how much it would cost to get a good experienced tackle but it would not be cheap. That I know. I do understand your point of view here but with Adams getting paid what he's making, I think you have to try and look for a guy who might be more reasonable yet have potential to develope. It's a gamble, no question but in our situation, I'm not sure we have much of a choice.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
So the cap hit is the same regardless of whether or not they keep Moulds and Williams or release them.

Doesn't sound like they are going anywhere.

No. Without a restructure Moulds and Williams cap hit this year will be over 20m. If they are cut or traded the cap hit is 10m (the acceleration of signing bonuses). So the Bills save 10m by cutting both. I think it's very likely Moulds will move on. Williams is also likely to be cut because he has already refused twice to be restructured and at best he's competing for PT at guard.

TheHustler

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
No. Without a restructure Moulds and Williams cap hit this year will be over 20m. If they are cut or traded the cap hit is 10m (the acceleration of signing bonuses). So the Bills save 10m by cutting both. I think it's very likely Moulds will move on. Williams is also likely to be cut because he has already refused twice to be restructured and at best he's competing for PT at guard.

Read it again.

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reports the Buffalo Bills have to decide what to do with WR Eric Moulds and ORT Mike Williams. Each carries a cap figure of roughly $10.8 million.No team can tie up $22 million in two players, particularly a receiver that turns 33 and a lineman that lost his starting job. The Bills could release both players and see a cap savings of more than $10 million. However, because Moulds and Williams are each under contract for two more years and still have major amounts of past bonus money that's yet to be amortized, whatever Buffalo saves in cap room will be given back in "dead" money.

They would save $10 mill by not having to pay their salaries, BUT the prorated signing bonuses "major amounts of past bonus money" would push their cap hit back to $20 million.

They aren't going anywhere.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Read it again.

The Rochester Democrat and Chronicle reports the Buffalo Bills have to decide what to do with WR Eric Moulds and ORT Mike Williams. Each carries a cap figure of roughly $10.8 million.No team can tie up $22 million in two players, particularly a receiver that turns 33 and a lineman that lost his starting job. The Bills could release both players and see a cap savings of more than $10 million. However, because Moulds and Williams are each under contract for two more years and still have major amounts of past bonus money that's yet to be amortized, whatever Buffalo saves in cap room will be given back in "dead" money.

They would save $10 mill by not having to pay their salaries, BUT the prorated signing bonuses "major amounts of past bonus money" would push their cap hit back to $20 million.

They aren't going anywhere.

That is not correct. I found this on a Bills board on the "salary cap forum" for both players. It sounds right to me.

Eric Moulds

Salary: $6.089 million
Old proration: $2 million (from $12 million s.b. he rec'd in 2001)
New Proration: $1,666,667
Reporting bonus: $1 million (likely due at start of training camp)
Work out bonus: $100,000
Pro Bowl bonus: $200,000 (NLTBE)

Cap hit: $10,855,667

IF MOULDS is Released or trade before reporting bonus due

I believe the reporting bonus is due at the start of training camp. However, I doubt the Bills will wait to decide on whether Moulds stays or goes. They would have to carry his large cap number all off-season. If the Bills do not work out a restructuring (i.e. paycut), then it's likely that he's gone before the 2006 League Yr begins in March '06.

Cap savings = 2006 cap hit - remaining proration

$5,522,333 = $10,855,667 - $5,333,334

Mike Williams

Salary: $4 million
Roster bonus: $3 million
Amortized bonus: $3,453,333
"Deion" debit: $360,431
(add all 4)
Cap hit: $10,813,764

Salary: $5 million
Amortized bonus: $3,453,333
"Deion" credit: ($1,081,293)
(add 1st 2 and subtract credit)
Cap hit: $7,372,040

Timing is everything. It depends on when the roster bonus is due. In 2005, his $3 million roster bonus was due July 1 (or thereabouts) and it was "guaranteed". That is, converted to signing bonus and spread out over 2005-2007 at $1 million/yr. It saved $2 million on 2005 cap, but added $1 million to each of 2006 & 2007. (I do not know if this conversion added to his "Deion" charges)

One scenario exists:

Release or trade before roster bonus due whatever date: I would assume Bills decide not to pay roster bonus and release him. The cap savings are:

Cap hit - remaining amortization = cap savings

$10,813,764 - (2 X $3,453,333) = $3,907,098 in 2006

$7,372,040 on 2007

SkinRamon

Reaction score
Go ahead and sign Mike Williams --- he's a real winner! You're better off with developing what you have.

ravidubey

Reaction score
Mike Williams could be a good guard or MAYBE RT. At LT he was awful... ask Bledsoe ;)

AbeBeta

Reaction score
ravidubey said:
Mike Williams could be a good guard or MAYBE RT. At LT he was awful... ask Bledsoe ;)

hasn't he been playing RT? all his career I think