Recap: ESPN: Belichick's failed offseason job hunt (Cowboys, Eagles, Wash. bits)

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39955777/how-patriots-legend-bill-belichick-end-nfl-job

Long article but good. Here are the NFC East parts. Cowboys were his best shot for a new job. Washington seriously considered him. Philly was more a media thing than serious consideration. Article spells out with all teams that owners and GMs feel he has an outdated system and want collaboration and newer management models now instead of what he used in New England. Also, Kraft can’t stand the guy. Recommend the Apple TV series ‘The Dynasty’ if you want to see the breakdown with team and ownership over Belichick. Sad ending, but he wore out his welcome. Article makes it sound like Jerry is the only owner old school enough to give him another shot.

• … A source close to Belichick confirmed there was no talk during the call about working for the Eagles. Still, there was chatter in league circles that Philadelphia and Belichick could be a match. Despite some owners and executives believing the game had passed Belichick by, the Eagles felt he still had his fastball; he had nearly beaten them in the 2023 season opener with an inferior team. There's also a belief that Belichick will coach only until he gets 15 more wins, enough to pass Don Shula as the winningest coach in NFL history. Though not seriously considering a move, Lurie wondered to a confidant: Was it worth overhauling the building, changing personnel and philosophies on everything from training staff to salary cap structure, for someone who might coach only two years?
  • …Dallas was another potential suitor. On paper, the Cowboys seemed to make sense: Belichick and Jerry Jones are decades-long friends, and both are in win-now mode. Nobody is better than Belichick at converting a talented roster into a championship team. And Belichick told a friend that he liked the idea of sticking it to the Krafts by working for Jones. But Jones, for all his flash, bluster and vows this offseason to go "all-in," is change-averse when it comes to head coaches. He decided quickly after Dallas' blowout exit in the wild-card round to let Mike McCarthy coach the final year of his contract.
  • …Washington seemed to be another good fit, and multiple sources said Belichick was very interested. He grew up in Annapolis, Maryland, and the combination of his hometown ties and football acumen might have helped the Commanders win and land a stadium in Washington, D.C., considered the most-prized location for a new venue. Commanders minority owner Magic Johnson lobbied hard for Belichick to be the team's new head coach, sources said. Belichick spoke to new Commanders GM Adam Peters, a former Patriots staffer, and said he respected the job Peters had done in personnel since he had left New England, helping the Broncos and 49ers reach a combined three Super Bowls. However, principal owner Josh Harris, who had spoken privately with Kraft about Belichick, told confidants in early December that he respected Belichick but wasn't going to hire him. He wanted the same leadership structure he has with the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils: a strong general manager over a head coach. Harris' hiring of the 44-year-old Peters as GM before he looked for a coach was a big tell that Belichick was not a fit, a decision that Johnson endorsed. A source close to Belichick said the coach had questions about working in a strong-GM system. Washington decided to hire Cowboys defensive coordinator and former Falcons head coach Dan Quinn. The victim of the Patriots' 28-3 Super Bowl comeback had a job. The primary architect of that historic victory did not.

ghst187

Reaction score
I think he’s just short some wins of a record or something or he’d probably hang it up

plasticman

Reaction score
Wow....

He was the Patriot HC for 24 seasons.....,17 division titles, played in 13 conference championship games and 9 Super Bowl, winning 6.

These last two seasons was the first time in his career that the Patriots missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

The game has not passed him by. The real issue is that he insists on full control as both GM and HC. With his resume, who can blame him?

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Bill has coached his last game. The last 4-5 years in NE serve as confirmation the game has passed him by. His staff and personnel moves were a complete disaster.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Defensively, i think BB can still put up a pretty good game plan...but as far as offense goes, if the game hasn't passed him by....Tom Brady did. He was the secret sauce in his offensive game plans and his success. He is back to being the coach with the Browns where he went 36-44 with his only winning season in 1994. That's the one the Cowboys would get.

So, no thanks. :thumbdown: He should just retire and go polish his SB rings.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
A year away from the game will likely either lead to him reinventing himself and rekindling the fire, or he will just fossilize as a (HOF) dinosaur

IMO— I think he finds another opportunity in 2025. There is no way he wants to go out with a whimper like he did in NE

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The time away will give him a chance to reset and evaluate some of his shortcomings. I think he gets another chance, maybe in the NFCE. Three NFCE coaches start the season on the hot seat. Dallas is the best fit coz he would only have to deal with Jerry and both would be in a win-now mode.

BTW......good read OP
Thanks

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Defensively, i think BB can still put up a pretty good game plan...but as far as offense goes, if the game hasn't passed him by....Tom Brady did. He was the secret sauce in his offensive game plans and his success. He is back to being the coach with the Browns where he went 36-44 with his only winning season in 1994. That's the one the Cowboys would get.

So, no thanks. :thumbdown: He should just retire and go polish his SB rings.

I don’t think it’s a lack of Brady as much as it was him being a terrible GM.

Brady teams were always good without Brady.

1942willys

Reaction score
I think he was demanding to be a GM as well and nobody wants him as such

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Media reports Jerry Jones is friends with <fill in a name>. It is supposed to mean something to viewers, readers and listeners.

Jones was going to replace Mike McCarthy with Sean Payton. Why? Because they are friends. Which franchise hired a totally available Sean Payton as head coach again? Exactly.

The Jerry is friends with Rachel/Phoebe/Monica/Ross/Chandler/Joey angle means squat. Try Jerry-Will-Not-Be-Overshadowed-By <fill in a name>, who also happens to be a friend of his. Then one of these annually thrown mudball assumptions might finally stick to the wall instead of automatically sliding off.

John813

Reaction score
IMO, his downfall in N.E. was his drafting and going from the GOAT at QB to washed up Cam/ a disappointment in Jones.

To me, the QB plays one of the largest roles on the team, and it's not like he went from Legend to competent.

This past year Jones severely regressed. Maybe Bill played a role in it, or maybe it was due to Jones struggling going from a powerhouse Bama team to a N.E. team that was due for a rebuild.

Their last S.B. win, his defensive schemes just killed the Rams offense. It was a low scoring affair.
He screwed up by getting into a tiff with Brady.

I don't see a big pool of teams interested in him next year. It would be a desperation/wildcat move to "win now". I think there's a possibility he could come here.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Wow....

He was the Patriot HC for 24 seasons.....,17 division titles, played in 13 conference championship games and 9 Super Bowl, winning 6.

These last two seasons was the first time in his career that the Patriots missed the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

The game has not passed him by. The real issue is that he insists on full control as both GM and HC. With his resume, who can blame him?
I think that’s why people feel it has passed him by…the Pats roster building has been bad for some time.

plasticman

Reaction score
I think that’s why people feel it has passed him by…the Pats roster building has been bad for some time.
Yeah, you are right on that count. I see that now.

From 2000 to 2010, the Patriots drafted 17 players that made at least one Pro Bowl. From 2011 to 2023 that number was 5,

From 2000 to 2010, the Patriots drafted 27 players that started at least three seasons. From 2011 to 2023 that number was 15.

That's quite a difference between those two periods.

I think in the early 2000 the Patriots won Super Bowls on the strength of Belichicks team building and coaching. Towards the end it was mostly due to Brady's leadership.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Me belief is tha Belichick intimidates Stephen. Ergo facto presto Shephen couldn't handle being brown eaten and keeping hands off personnel and team direction.