ESPN: Blame Jerry Jones? It's not so simple for the Cowboys

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Blame Jerry Jones? It's not so simple for the Cowboys

i

Jerry Jones is taking a lot for heat for the Cowboys being 2-7, but should he? Robert Deutsch/USA TODAY Sports
i
Mike Sando, NFL Insider
After his team suffered its seventh consecutive loss on Sunday, Dallas Cowboysowner Jones told assembled media, "We're not getting it done, beginning with me. That's right where that responsibility is."

Jones won't get much sympathy from the Cowboys' faithful or the general public. He's been the classic owner-as-enabler over the years, covering for his players in ways that make it tougher for coaches to hold anyone accountable. The star quarterback sometimes gets careless with the football in critical situations? Jerry had a soft chair for him in the owner's suite. The star receiver loses his cool on the sideline or in the locker room? Jerry has his back. You know it's bad whenGreg Hardy gets both a free pass and the owner's explicit endorsement as a team leader.

Jones' ownership style and his leadership in the NFL's cultural shift toward a profits-before-all-else mentality makes him an inviting target. He'll get no sympathy here, but it's silly to simply "blame Jerry" for the mess this Cowboys season has become. For all their issues, Jones' Cowboys have bad luck to blame for their current losing streak. The good news for them is that luck has also improbably kept Dallas in the NFC East race regardless. Better yet for Dallas, Romo's expected return should reduce the role luck plays from this point forward.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14143785/blame-jerry-jones-not-simple-cowboys-nfl

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Does anyone ask Jerrah what does he plan to do since the blame involves him? :huh:

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
Lack is random and inconstant and cannot by itself account for the consistent poor performance of the team and organizations as a whole.

Sydla

Reaction score
Since Jerry makes most, if not all the decisions - personnel, who the head coach is, etc. - yes, I think it's safe to blame him.

But I did like how the reporter got his little dig at Romo in there. As if it was somehow wrong that Jones backed Romo, when Romo made some careless mistakes.

FLCowboyFan

Hoping to be half the man Tom Landry was.
Reaction score
Does anyone ask Jerrah what does he plan to do since the blame involves him? :huh:

He is going to start by talking to the man in the mirror....he said so last time we stunk like this :facepalm:

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
there is lots of blame to go around him the front office the head coach the staff and players .

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
Jerry is not the blame for the game day product. He bought the "groceries" for Jason. Just because Jason cannot use the groceries to create fabulous meals puts the blame on the HC and the Coaching staff. The talent is on the team. How the talent is developed and used correctly to take advantage of the other teams in order to win games is the issue. Jerry does not develop the game plan, make adjustments or coach during the games. He is sipping Johnny Walker in his Stadium Suite. Put the blame where it belongs and stop trying to find ways to deflect the blame from the HC and his staff.

MrPhil

Reaction score
If the team cant win one game out of seven without Romo, the rest of the team isn't any good and that is a reflection on the front office and coaching not bad luck.

Wish I could give this more than 1 like.......

LandryFan

Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000
Reaction score
Jones' ownership style and his leadership in the NFL's cultural shift toward a profits-before-all-else mentality makes him an inviting target. He'll get no sympathy here, but it's silly to simply "blame Jerry" for the mess this Cowboys season has become. For all their issues, Jones' Cowboys have bad luck to blame for their current losing streak. The good news for them is that luck has also improbably kept Dallas in the NFC East race regardless. Better yet for Dallas, Romo's expected return should reduce the role luck plays from this point forward.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14143785/blame-jerry-jones-not-simple-cowboys-nfl

I find it ironic that a mediot would have the gall to cut someone down for having a "profits-before-all-else mentality". Dear Lord, that is the very definition of the sports media industry these days.

Last edited:

Doomsay

Reaction score
Look no further than the man who hired the paralyzed puppet for 100% of the blame. If the coach you hire and extend couldn't get a single job in today's NFL, even one or two levels below his current position, the blame rests entirely with you.

superonyx

Reaction score
Any article or opinion that says Jerry cares about profits before anything else is just lazy and unoriginal.

Jerry is a 70+ year old man who already has a team worth over 3 Billion dollars. He will never spend even 1% of this money. He would trade a heck of a lot of money for another super bowl at this point. It's so typical media to attempt to vilify Jerry with cries of greed.

I support Jerry as much as I do because even though he doesn't make all the right moves I know in my heart that losing hurts him even more than it hurts us fans.

kevm3

Reaction score
Jerry is not the blame for the game day product. He bought the "groceries" for Jason. Just because Jason cannot use the groceries to create fabulous meals puts the blame on the HC and the Coaching staff. The talent is on the team. How the talent is developed and used correctly to take advantage of the other teams in order to win games is the issue. Jerry does not develop the game plan, make adjustments or coach during the games. He is sipping Johnny Walker in his Stadium Suite. Put the blame where it belongs and stop trying to find ways to deflect the blame from the HC and his staff.

Jerry is the one keeping JG here. JG would be gone at any other organization.

Common Sense

Reaction score
No one is responsible, guys. Get it? I'm cool, you're cool, he's cool. Stuff happens, Buy a jersey.

PAINFROMUKRAINE

Reaction score
Jerry is the one keeping JG here. JG would be gone at any other organization.

I fully agree. Jerry's blame is for not firing Garrett after the 2013 Season or he should have only gave Garrett a 1-year or 2 year extension after the 2014 Season. Why give a 5 year extension when nobody was beating on Garrett's door? He should have made Garrett earn a Long Term Extension the hard way. Stupid is what stupid will be.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score

:hammer::bow:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
i
Mike Sando, NFL Insider
After his team suffered its seventh consecutive loss on Sunday, Dallas Cowboysowner Jones told assembled media, "We're not getting it done, beginning with me. That's right where that responsibility is."

Jones won't get much sympathy from the Cowboys' faithful or the general public. He's been the classic owner-as-enabler over the years, covering for his players in ways that make it tougher for coaches to hold anyone accountable. The star quarterback sometimes gets careless with the football in critical situations? Jerry had a soft chair for him in the owner's suite. The star receiver loses his cool on the sideline or in the locker room? Jerry has his back. You know it's bad whenGreg Hardy gets both a free pass and the owner's explicit endorsement as a team leader.

Sando, you are an idiot.

Have fun being unemployed in a couple of years when the Disney stock is down. You'll probably be begging Jerry for a job.

YR

Reaction score
Your expectations are to blame. This team successfully walked a very thin line last year in which they protected an awful defense with a solid running game and an excellent passing game. This year they got knocked off of that line with losing Romo AND Dez for the first half of the season (longer for Dez who was a hold-out so he is still rusty and weak) as well as losing key defensive contributors for the first quarter of the season,,, and even with those key defensive contributors in place this defense is still rebuilding. Would having better back-ups for Romo, Dez, McClain, Hardy, Scandrick, and Lee have helped? Sure, Jerry's drafting has only recently improved, but by all accounts the team had an excellent off-season and the list of extenuating circumstances is long.