U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

<snip>

I shouldn't have been surprised. Sacks have been on the decline since 1997, when there were 1,103 sacks in 210 games. One of the reasons is that quarterback play has vastly improved since 1997. Another reason is that there has been a decrease in the number of holding penalties called. To speed up the game and promote better offensive production, officials were directed by the league to cut out unnecessary holding penalties. Officials have whistled only 1.707 offensive holding calls a game, and there are three to five games a week that don't have a single offensive holding penalty called.

The results are predictable. Scoring is up. Games are shorter with better pace. Quarterbacks aren't dealing with as many first-and-20 situations, which means fewer sacks.

<snip>

Q: John, I can't help but see a number of similarities between this year's Cowboys team and last year's Giants club. Both teams were (almost) written off at midseason, yet it appears the Cowboys have a good shot at earning a wild-card berth and could potentially derail the New York Giants, who appear on pace for No. 1 seed in the NFC. What do you think?

Chris in Cincinnati

A: The loss to the Steelers in Week 14 only reminded everyone why the Cowboys lose in the playoffs. Something is amiss with their focus down the stretch of big games. They can't finish things. Although I believe they will get to 10 wins and possibly make the playoffs, the turnovers and mental mistakes in key situations have hurt them for years. I picked the Cowboys to be a Super Bowl team this season. I did that despite knowing their problems in December and January games. The Giants conquered those problems late last season. They learned how to be good finishers. The Cowboys could learn something from the Giants and Steelers. Maybe Jerry Jones should have outbid the Mets for K-Rod. Dallas needs a top closer.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3759328

Givincer

Reaction score
What the heck is an unnecessary holding call?

Is that a holding call that is not holding?

Or is that letting holding go sometimes and calling it at others.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Did the Giants loss to the Skins in December remind him of why the Giants had lost in the first round the previous two years?

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Givincer;2480220 said:

I'm guessing it's a hold that has no effect on the play, most likely on running plays

where the runner is running off the left tackle, and the right tackle, or right guard are holding

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2480226 said:
I'm guessing it's a hold that has no effect on the play, most likely on running plays

where the runner is running off the left tackle, and the right tackle, or right guard are holding
yeah that call pisses me off.

Givincer

Reaction score

John Clayton said:
Sacks have been on the decline since 1997, when there were 1,103 sacks in 210 games. One of the reasons is that quarterback play has vastly improved since 1997. Another reason is that there has been a decrease in the number of holding penalties called. To speed up the game and promote better offensive production, officials were directed by the league to cut out unnecessary holding penalties.

Clayton's saying it's one of the major reasons for the decline in sacks since 1997.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Givincer;2480220 said:

Sounds like a holding call that is away from the play. While they have no affect on the play, letting the quality of officiating we have seen so far determine what is "away" and what is "not away" from a play is just going to be a nice little treat to watch.

I think its an aboslutely ****ty decision. How does someone know what is unnecessary and what is not until the play is over?

grp05

Reaction score

Same concept as a block in the back on special teams that's 20 yards away from the return man. Pointless.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
windward;2480230 said:
yeah that call pisses me off.

same

although I jump all over it if the other team does it lol

Givincer;2480234 said:
Clayton's saying it's one of the major reasons for the decline in sacks since 1997.

you can't really not call holds when the D sacks the QB, all 5 line positions are needed to protect the QB, when one guy is getting beat and has to hold, that means there's an extra defender getting through

I think the sacks part is Clayton's spin on the situation

MONT17

Reaction score
makes u wonder how many yards, completions and tds Marino could throw for in todays game...

AKATheRake

Reaction score
1.707 a game huh? Geeez at one point Flo was averaging about 3 a gamehimself. Kosier and Colombo would put their hands in the cookie jar fromtimeto time too. It has been leaps and bounds better though the last 3 games.

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;2480222 said:
John Clayton made a funny.

:omg:

You mean Wally Cox. [que BBGUN with a pic] :D

Officials have whistled only 1.707 offensive holding calls a game, and there are three to five games a week that don't have a single offensive holding penalty called.

1707 a game! Wally made a mistake too!

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
From high school to the pros, offensive holding happens in every single game. That's not the problem, so having refs determine which holding is "necessary" or "unnecessary" isn't the solution.

What will work is for each officiating crew to maintain a unilateral process of calling fouls for both teams through four quarters. Damn the length of the game or how it impacts scoring or etc., etc.

One of the most hypocritical things that happens virtually every game is for a ref to see an offensive lineman for one team hold and blow the whistle... THEN not blow the whistle when the offensive lineman on the opposing team grabs a defensive player the exact same way.

It's pathetic and demonstrates lack of fair judgment. Balanced officiating should always be the norm, regardless of the circumstances, instead of the exception.

/rant off

khiladi

Reaction score
This article surely doesn't include the Cowboys. Clayton should be speaking about how the league has told refs not to call any holding calls on against the opposing offense, when playing the Cowboys defense.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2480217 said:
By John Clayton
ESPN.com
(Archive)

<snip>

I shouldn't have been surprised. Sacks have been on the decline since 1997, when there were 1,103 sacks in 210 games. One of the reasons is that quarterback play has vastly improved since 1997. Another reason is that there has been a decrease in the number of holding penalties called. To speed up the game and promote better offensive production, officials were directed by the league to cut out unnecessary holding penalties. Officials have whistled only 1.707 offensive holding calls a game, and there are three to five games a week that don't have a single offensive holding penalty called.

The results are predictable. Scoring is up. Games are shorter with better pace. Quarterbacks aren't dealing with as many first-and-20 situations, which means fewer sacks.

I figured as much. Holding is not called a lot compared to the way it used to be called. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Ware held (the T form of holding from the side of his body) while breaking the edge with a straight line to the QB.

My question is what the hell is an "unnesessary holding penalty"? Is that when the pass rusher is 35 yards from the QB that is already in his throwing motion? Cause if the QB is in the pocket and the rusher is being held on the edge, that isn't an unnesessary holding penalty. That is the refs (or NFL in general) "altering the outcome of the game".

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Seattle game was just sickening this year.

Their Right Tackle was literally tackling Spencer from getting to the QB. It was unbelievable.

If your allowed to hold as an offensive linemen than you should never ever ever ever get beat.

chinch

No Quarter
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2480217 said:
By John Clayton
A: The loss to the Steelers in Week 14 only reminded everyone why the Cowboys lose in the playoffs. Something is amiss with their focus down the stretch of big games. They can't finish things. Although I believe they will get to 10 wins and possibly make the playoffs, the turnovers and mental mistakes in key situations have hurt them for years. I picked the Cowboys to be a Super Bowl team this season. I did that despite knowing their problems in December and January games. The Giants conquered those problems late last season. They learned how to be good finishers. The Cowboys could learn something from the Giants and Steelers. Maybe Jerry Jones should have outbid the Mets for K-Rod. Dallas needs a top closer.

Bullseye. Clayton points out clearly what we don't want to hear, and what the three stooges won't address.