ESPN Clayton: Officials told to cut out unnecessary holding penalties

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
my favorite holding play (sarcasm)....is when the player is 30 yds down field and his teammate is flagged for holding someone on the total opposite side of the field, that had absolutely no bearing on the play. We are talking roughly 60 yds away from the play and the refs want to throw a stupid flag. Now if it were a personal foul penalty, ok throw the flag....but holding, oh hell no.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
nyc;2480503 said:
I figured as much. Holding is not called a lot compared to the way it used to be called. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Ware held (the T form of holding from the side of his body) while breaking the edge with a straight line to the QB.

My question is what the hell is an "unnesessary holding penalty"? Is that when the pass rusher is 35 yards from the QB that is already in his throwing motion? Cause if the QB is in the pocket and the rusher is being held on the edge, that isn't an unnesessary holding penalty. That is the refs (or NFL in general) "altering the outcome of the game".

I agree.... *ducks*

If it were "unnecessary" then why did the OL feel like he HAD to do it to avoid giving up a sack?

zeroburrito

Reaction score
this is bad. now the officials have to pick and choose which ones to call? picking them at certain times gives the advantage to a certain team. what determines if they should call it or not? what team they like? what bets they have going on at the time? calling all or most of them, gives each team an even shot.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
If they're talking about those holding calls that are made, away from a play and have absolutely zero bearing on the outcome of a play, then yes, I'd be in favor of them not throwing flags for that junk.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Well, we all knew this was happening... I guess now it's just official.

Been saying it for the last few years: The league wants to encourage scoring. They simplemindedly think that more scoring = more exciting games and more fans. You could see it in the competition committee minutes a few years ago when Rick McKay told the rest of the committee that yay, the emphasis on illegal contact had indeed increased scoring just the way we'd hoped.

I mean, no one thought it was a coincidence that so many passing records have fallen in the last few years, did they?

zeroburrito

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2480612 said:
Well, we all knew this was happening... I guess now it's just official.

Been saying it for the last few years: The league wants to encourage scoring. They simplemindedly think that more scoring = more exciting games and more fans. You could see it in the competition committee minutes a few years ago when Rick McKay told the rest of the committee that yay, the emphasis on illegal contact had indeed increased scoring just the way we'd hoped.

I mean, no one thought it was a coincidence that so many passing records have fallen in the last few years, did they?

well...scoring is more exciting and does garner more fans. i just don't think cherry picking certain holds on a random whim is the way to do it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
THUMPER;2480453 said:
You mean Wally Cox. [que BBGUN with a pic] :D

1707 a game! Wally made a mistake too!
Where's the pic?

Is he asleep at the wheel again?

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Hostile;2480740 said:
Where's the pic?

Is he asleep at the wheel again?

He must be. I guess I'll have to do it myself...

274395_large.jpg

john_clayton.jpg