ESPN Combine Day 4 Review

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
DAY 4: RUNNING BACKS, OFFENSIVE LINEMEN

What are your biggest takeaways from Sunday's workouts?

Reid: This offensive tackle class doesn't have a surefire top-10 pick, but there's a lot of depth through the first three rounds. We could see as many as six selected in the top 40 and up to 12 through Day 2. Paris Johnson Jr. (Ohio State), Peter Skoronski (Northwestern) and Broderick Jones (Georgia) are the top three, but Darnell Wright (Tennessee), Dawand Jones (Ohio State) and Anton Harrison (Oklahoma) could hear their names early. That belief held true Sunday as the class as a whole performed well during the on-field drills.

My other takeaway is that this running back class is as strong as advertised. Bijan Robinson (Texas) and Jahmyr Gibbs (Alabama) are the top two, but opinions throughout the league vary after them. In such a deep class of rushers, we're likely to see many of them fly off of the board between the second and fourth rounds. Many teams have become reluctant to draft running backs early. That makes it all the more interesting to see just how early both Robinson and Gibbs come off the board.

Reid picks the biggest risers from Day 4

Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio State: Jones measured 6-foot-8, 374 pounds with an 87⅞-inch wingspan and 11⅝-inch hands. Not only does he have a massive frame, but he has good body control. He ran a 5.36-second 40-yard dash, a great time for his size. Even though he only practiced for one day at the Senior Bowl, scouts were enamored by him. After a subpar junior season, he returned to play much better last season. His ascension has continued, and he helped himself after a strong showing Sunday. There are many evaluators who think Jones will be selected in the back end of the first round because of his physical traits at his size.

Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee: Wright continued his strong pre-draft process. Positioned in the second group of offensive lineman, I thought he looked the best of the bunch during the on-field drills. After playing guard during his first two seasons with the Vols, Wright transitioned to right tackle, where he had a breakout senior season. His range as a pass protector was on full display as his movements were quick and efficient. His hand power was noticeable while going through drills, too. He and Jones are considered the two best right tackle prospects in this class. The belief among people in the league is that both could be top 40 picks. I have Wright graded slightly higher as my OT4, but Jones is right behind him.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reid evaluates how other top prospects fared on Day 4

Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas: As good as advertised -- that's the best way to put seeing Robinson in action inside Lucas Oil Stadium. The clear top player at the position, Robinson finished with a 4.46-second 40-yard dash while also having a 37-inch vertical and leaping 10-foot-7 in the broad jump. He starred during the on-field drills, and he runs with an effortless style that makes it easy for him to sink and transition his weight in any direction. When I asked scouts this week for a target range of where he'll be selected, every answer included somewhere inside the top 20. Robinson is my No. 5-ranked prospect, but positional value will come into the equation.

Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama: With a skill set all about acceleration and having a different gear than defenders, Gibbs finished with a 4.36-second 40-yard dash. The speed he showed on film held true as he improved on his first initial run of 4.40. Gibbs was Bama's most dangerous player for quarterback Bryce Young last season, leading the team in rushing yards (926) and catches (44). A versatile prospect who can be used in a variety of ways, Gibbs has plenty of dynamic ability to be an instant game-changer early on as a rookie. As a fast-paced runner, he has the extra gear to go from 0 to 60 in an instant. Gibbs will generate explosive plays as a rookie wherever he lands.

Peter Skoronski, OT/G, Northwestern: Is he a guard or an offensive tackle? That remains the biggest question. After playing all five positions during his college career, Skoronski gained experience at multiple spots. Opinions of him throughout the league continue to be mixed. I have him graded as my top tackle, and he should remain there until he proves he's not capable of producing. Many scouts believe he could slide inside and turn into a high-level starter as a guard. With solid testing numbers, Skoronski put up a 5.18-second 40-yard dash and an impressive 34.5-inch vertical leap. That explosion and suddenness were evident during the on-field drills, where Skoronski looked excellent. His hip fluidity and ease with changing directions were easy to see.

Paris Johnson Jr., OT, Ohio State: Despite not participating in the 40-yard dash, Johnson was a standout during the on-field drills. He showcased natural movements skills, and he can redirect with ease. His foot quickness was the best of the group Sunday. Routinely asked to pass-set during the on-field drills, he looked fluid and natural. He transitioned to left tackle in 2022 after starting at guard for the Buckeyes in 2021, and he continued to get better during each week of last season. Johnson is a contender to be the first offensive tackle selected.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
More notes, thoughts and things we heard and saw from Day 4 of workouts

Reid:

-Arkansas center Ricky Stromberg really caught my eye. Seeing him throughout the week of practices at the East-West Shrine Game, he put together a strong showing. He showed off his strength and awareness, and he has the potential to develop into a starter early in his career. After playing guard during his first season with the Razorbacks, he went on to play center and remained there.

-UCLA lineman Jon Gaines has helped himself throughout the pre-draft process. My first exposure to him up close came during the week of practices at the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl. He made it quickly noticeable he was not only the best offensive lineman there but also one of the best prospects there. He tested well in Indianapolis, running the 40-yard dash in 5.01 seconds while also putting up a 32-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-6 broad jump. With starts at both center and guard during his career, many evaluators feel he's capable of playing either spot at the next level. Viewed as a late-round prospect coming into the process, Gaines could be a fourth- or fifth-round target who turns into a spot starter early in his NFL career.

-Tulane running back Tyjae Spears participated only in the on-field drills, but he was outstanding. A sudden mover, he raced through the bags with ease, showing off strong hands and the ability to catch the ball away from his frame. He has the potential to be dangerous in the passing game. He's the type of running back playcallers will be able to design concepts around; he has the ability to put linebackers and safeties in disadvantageous situations. He built on a strong showing from the Senior Bowl. Spears likely is a top-75 pick who could go on to play a big role as a rookie. All eyes will be on Tulane's pro day March 16.

-Kansas State's Deuce Vaughn is another running back who opted not to run but participated in the on-field drills, and he looked terrific. At 5-foot-5, he's the smallest player ever at the combine, but he plays much bigger than his height indicates. He's a uniquely built player who can run in between the tackles and on the perimeter. He has very quick feet and complements those feet with reliable hands to get up the field quickly. Size will be an issue for some teams, but in a committee backfield, there's a place for him as a Day 3 selection. Vaughn's pro day will be March 31, and many teams will be looking forward to seeing his official testing numbers.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Spears is one of my favorite backs if Dallas doesn’t take one of the big-two. He catches the ball very well and is really quick with his cuts.

Vaughn is 5’5” but you gotta love his attitude. If he runs fast enough at his pro day, somebody will make him their Sproles.

Carson

Reaction score
Spears is one of my favorite backs if Dallas doesn’t take one of the big-two. He catches the ball very well and is really quick with his cuts.

Vaughn is 5’5” but you gotta love his attitude. If he runs fast enough at his pro day, somebody will make him their Sproles.
These have been my two guys since the season ended. Either would have me super happy
E