News: ESPN: Cowboys deals so far have been cost effective

TX Cowboy

Reaction score
So by saying 'cost effective' what they are really saying is? Jerruh has been to
damn cheap to go out and spend any real money on 'talent' which will equate
to another season of them tanking before ever having a chance to rise to the
top?

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Church is mediocre.

Why do you guys continue to settle for mediocrity? The Eagles have used Malcolm Jenkins in a similar role as Church, playing closer to the line, and yet he can actually cover people too.

Although I have little doubt Church will be back. He's a pet cat of Marinelli it seems. That kind of thinking got us a few years of Hayden getting punked at DT before someone slapped Marinelli upside the head. I was hoping they also smacked him for his choices in the secondary.

why do people continue to yell and scream for players they're not going to get and peeing in the post toasties of the players we do have all the time?

strange world we live in.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Now if only the team was churning out playoff victories and Super Bowl appearances with such solid and cost effective cap management.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not trying to turn this into a draft debate, but this team simply does NOT draft well enough to operate the way they are in UFA and still contend.

Teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh always get at a minimum solid contributions from mid and late picks. We hit on the top ones (and only lately) and the rest either don't do much or even see the field.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Not trying to turn this into a draft debate, but this team simply does NOT draft well enough to operate the way they are in UFA and still contend.

Teams like Green Bay and Pittsburgh always get at a minimum solid contributions from mid and late picks. We hit on the top ones (and only lately) and the rest either don't do much or even see the field.

2015:
4th - Jake Ryan, started 5 games.
5th - brett hundley - qb. developed extensive clipboard skills
6th - ripkowski, rb. 1 catch, 18 yards.
7th - ringo - nice hair.
8th - backman, TE. got nothing.

2014:
4th - rogers, 225 and 510 yards receiving. not too bad.
5th - bradford - lb. nothing.
6th - linsley - center - starting. nice pickup.
7th - ABBREDERIS, WR - not much
8th - goodson. cb. meh.

so in just the last 2 years, for green bay, i see ryan not doing too badly, and linsley being a starting center. a WR not doing too badly on a team desperate for them and 7 other players after the 1st 3 rounds are not doing much.

if you want to turn it into any form of a debate some research would help your cause first.

Last edited:

starfrombirth

Reaction score
The only small complaint I can come up with on McClain is that last year he made $3MM with incentives and probably didn't do enough to warrant a 66% pay raise but as I said, it's a small complaint.

Bigger picture, it does seem we have done a decent job resigning some guys and adding Thornton to solid, reasonable deals.

But other than Thornton........... have we gotten better?
My question is who could we have signed that we could afford that we had a reasonable assurance that they wouldn't come down with a serious case of "gettin paid"... if you know what I mean. I look at all these deals being made and shake my head. These players are getting paid way over production. I truly it bites them right in the ***!

fivetwos

Reaction score
2015:
4th - Jake Ryan, started 5 games.
5th - brett hundley - qb. developed extensive clipboard skills
6th - ripkowski, rb. 1 catch, 18 yards.
7th - ringo - nice hair.
8th - backman, TE. got nothing.

2014:
4th - rogers, 225 and 510 yards receiving. not too bad.
5th - bradford - lb. nothing.
6th - linsley - center - starting. nice pickup.
7th - ABBREDERIS, WR - not much
8th - goodson. cb. meh.

so in just the last 2 years, for green bay, i see ryan not doing too badly, and linsley being a starting center. a WR not doing too badly on a team desperate for them and 7 other players after the 1st 3 rounds are not doing much.

if you want to turn it into any form of a debate some research would help your cause first.

Without using google, I can tell you that the teams I used as an example are never active in UFA, yet are annual contenders for a championship. They get much more from their draft picks than we do.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Without using google, I can tell you that the teams I used as an example are never active in UFA, yet are annual contenders for a championship. They get much more from their draft picks than we do.

sure. without verifying anything at all i can tell you whatever i want too.

i found 3 in the last 2 years in the 4th round or beyond that are doing anything more than camp bodies. your emotional I KNOW I KNOW can shout all you want but facts are facts.

fivetwos

Reaction score
sure. without verifying anything at all i can tell you whatever i want too.

i found 3 in the last 2 years in the 4th round or beyond that are doing anything more than camp bodies. your emotional I KNOW I KNOW can shout all you want but facts are facts.

Not shouting at all, and I have no agenda.

Not saying those teams draft perfectly, but somehow they are inactive in UFA, and manage to be in the discussion each and every year when it comes to SB contention.

Logic tells me it's the draft.

I don't think Dallas drafts well enough to not participate in UFA is really all I'm saying.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Cost effective for fans too, not a lot of new apparel to buy :)

Thanks Jerry/Stephen!

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

Not saying those teams draft perfectly, but somehow they are inactive in UFA, and manage to be in the discussion each and every year when it comes to SB contention.

I don't think Dallas drafts well enough to not participate in UFA is really all I'm saying.

So he used actual facts showing how 2 years in a row they got next to nothing from any of their players round 4 or later, but your logic somehow tells you that they do, ignoring reality? Gotcha

DoomsDayD

Reaction score
so we are pretty good at being a mediocre football team in a cost effective way ? Congrats to us - I guess.

you havent noticed JERRY's trophy case filling up with awards every year from the cost effectiveness way this team is run any more.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score

then it does sound like you want to rag on the cowboys for not drafting well so you make up teams who do draft well as a method to show it. only, in the last 2 years that isn't the case so "logic" falls short. their 4th round on isn't producing, it would seem, what you say it is nor for the reasons you seem to point to.

your desire to say it's the draft says, it's the draft. or sure, maybe that's the next line of thought but there's a lot of "thought" left on the table at this point and stopping at the draft, in this example, comes across self-serving as it's unproven.

so, prove it.