News: ESPN: Cowboys deals so far have been cost effective

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
then it does sound like you want to rag on the cowboys for not drafting well so you make up teams who do draft well as a method to show it. only, in the last 2 years that isn't the case so "logic" falls short. their 4th round on isn't producing, it would seem, what you say it is nor for the reasons you seem to point to.

your desire to say it's the draft says, it's the draft. or sure, maybe that's the next line of thought but there's a lot of "thought" left on the table at this point and stopping at the draft, in this example, comes across self-serving as it's unproven.

so, prove it.

you may have proved GB also drafted poorly but that doesn't help DAL's case

over 10 years Hanna and Scandrick are two hits from 5-7, maybe DHarris

DAL can't be cheap when they make 600m a year in revenue....it is ludicrous

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Remember when this forum ripped this team for spending money recklessly?

I'm beginning to think you don't know what you all want.

don't care enough to look back and see if the same people are flipping around but my guess would be there's a camp that loves it when we spend and a camp that doesn't. the loud ones are the ones in the camp of what we are NOT doing.

fivetwos

Reaction score
then it does sound like you want to rag on the cowboys for not drafting well so you make up teams who do draft well as a method to show it. only, in the last 2 years that isn't the case so "logic" falls short. their 4th round on isn't producing, it would seem, what you say it is nor for the reasons you seem to point to.

your desire to say it's the draft says, it's the draft. or sure, maybe that's the next line of thought but there's a lot of "thought" left on the table at this point and stopping at the draft, in this example, comes across self-serving as it's unproven.

so, prove it.

Most people would find it reasonable within the context of a conversation about pro football that Green Bay and Pittsburgh, as examples, are not very active in signing big name free-agents.

Since the only other major way of acquiring players is the draft, it would stand to reason that those teams draft well given their on the field success.

That's my opinion and maybe I am wrong. Maybe the success of those teams has next to nothing to do with the draft. I'll grant you that.

I think my overall point is that in my opinion, Dallas does not draft well enough to be as inactive as they are in UFA and still contend for a championship.

Maybe I am wrong, and I truly hope I am.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't like the Hanna deal. To resign your blocking TE when you just burned a pick on one is troubling. Another waste of a pick and a decent salary for a bit player. It's not a huge deal but it isn't something that I wanted to see.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I wonder if teams will spot us 4 points each week since we have cost effective deals ?

No?

Man.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
its an excellent strategy as long as team drafts really well. Dallas is good in 1st round and not so good after.

They don't have much choice but to draft better... I mean really. They only have so much cap space. You can only spend so much.

You either learn how to draft better or you don't win.

Wood

Reaction score
They don't have much choice but to draft better... I mean really. They only have so much cap space. You can only spend so much.

You either learn how to draft better or you don't win.

Your correct. Dallas has boxed themselves into needing to be great drafting team. Giants on other hand have admitted they have been less than stellar in draft and made up for it by paying out 100 million in FA money. But a team cant be bad at the draft and non-player in FA or they are just cheating the fan base.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't like the Hanna deal. To resign your blocking TE when you just burned a pick on one is troubling. Another waste of a pick and a decent salary for a bit player.

In that case I feel even stronger about signing Hanna thanks.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Most people would find it reasonable within the context of a conversation about pro football that Green Bay and Pittsburgh, as examples, are not very active in signing big name free-agents.

Since the only other major way of acquiring players is the draft, it would stand to reason that those teams draft well given their on the field success.

That's my opinion and maybe I am wrong. Maybe the success of those teams has next to nothing to do with the draft. I'll grant you that.

I think my overall point is that in my opinion, Dallas does not draft well enough to be as inactive as they are in UFA and still contend for a championship.

Maybe I am wrong, and I truly hope I am.

don't really want to keep splitting hairs but in my mind, if you're going to say "green bay does a much better job at drafting solid players than dallas, so that's why they don't have to supplement free agency as much as the cowboys do"

this is what i get that you are saying so correct me if i'm wrong. HOWEVER, what i don't see you doing is comparing the actual draft GB has had to back up that thought. i can go with "common sense says winning teams do xyz" and we can all puff a cigar and be proud we noticed that. but i'm not one to stop there because i want to be sure what i'm saying isn't just conjecture but based on some research also.

the last (2) green bay drafts do not back that up but no, that's not really going back far enough, it's all i had time to really do. out of 10 players taken after the 3rd round in the last 2 drafts, 2 1/2 are solid players. 3 if you just be generous. the rest are camp bodies at this point and have proven nothing beyond the fact they were good enough to at least get drafted and given a shot.

so apologies if i was coming across harsh - already been a long week. :) i'm just saying to back up what seems to be common sense would be to look at the last few drafts but only as a starting point. if their best drafts were actually 4-6 years ago that would be the ones to see because years 1-3 are the growth years anyway. so that's why i say my last 2 drafts isn't enough of a sample to really know if you would be right or now.

i just prefer to back up "common sense" with some examples, that's all.

fivetwos

Reaction score
don't really want to keep splitting hairs but in my mind, if you're going to say "green bay does a much better job at drafting solid players than dallas, so that's why they don't have to supplement free agency as much as the cowboys do"

this is what i get that you are saying so correct me if i'm wrong. HOWEVER, what i don't see you doing is comparing the actual draft GB has had to back up that thought. i can go with "common sense says winning teams do xyz" and we can all puff a cigar and be proud we noticed that. but i'm not one to stop there because i want to be sure what i'm saying isn't just conjecture but based on some research also.

the last (2) green bay drafts do not back that up but no, that's not really going back far enough, it's all i had time to really do. out of 10 players taken after the 3rd round in the last 2 drafts, 2 1/2 are solid players. 3 if you just be generous. the rest are camp bodies at this point and have proven nothing beyond the fact they were good enough to at least get drafted and given a shot.

so apologies if i was coming across harsh - already been a long week. :) i'm just saying to back up what seems to be common sense would be to look at the last few drafts but only as a starting point. if their best drafts were actually 4-6 years ago that would be the ones to see because years 1-3 are the growth years anyway. so that's why i say my last 2 drafts isn't enough of a sample to really know if you would be right or now.

You've shown that their last two drafts haven't produced much. They probably have not felt that on the field as of yet.

Realistically, that team wins because of the QB they have, and the league has become more of a QB friendly league.

So, probably a bad example on my part.

Again though, for whatever the reason, I think Dallas needed to be more active in UFA than they were. It's nice to build through the draft only, but while some of us like to think that the drafting has gotten better of late (and it probably has), there's still enough misses to where what we currently have needs to be supplemented through UFA (in my opinion) and it wasn't.

The bottom line is teams that expect to win and ignore UFA had better draft as well as anyone. I'm not sure Dallas is there.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
You've shown that their last two drafts haven't produced much. They probably have not felt that on the field as of yet.

yep. and i said as much when thinking about it that 4-6 years ago would likely be a better gauge.

the rest i can't disagree with.

LittleD

Reaction score
Dallas is getting better at drafting every year. Yes, they seem to have trouble hitting on rounds 4-6 but, lots of other teams do to.
Dallas FO (mostly Stephen) has publically stated that he dislikes FA and overpaying for average talent. They have been signing
mid-level bridge players who can hold the fort for 1-2 years while they try and fill long term holes with the draft. You have to
give the Cowboys FO credit for being successful with the UDFA groups in they have success signing them and finding nuggets
that eventually make the team as starters or decent contributors. They aren't perfect by any means but, they are getting better and
this is the plan they are going to take going forward.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

DAL doesn't use FA any more than GB, that shouldn't be the debate

We have signed Carr and Leonard Davis and a handful of bargain bin FAs in the last 10 years

We are 2nd in the league with comp picks, this isn't a new strategy
We are close to the 89% spending floor

We've been sold a bill of goods by ownership. They pretend to be these wheeling dealing spend at all costs to win it all gamblers but we are just like the Rooneys or Packers or Bidwells or other tightwads.
We are literally printing money and act like we are pinching pennies.

JJones is so afraid to be accused of buying a championship that he has never even tried. He only wants to win his way so he gets all the credit. He has the 3 rings so he is set for life but his ego is bigger than ever.