Kane Ala
Reaction score
Cowboys need defense with No. 16
February, 19, 2014
FEB 19
9:50
AM ET
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

With the Dallas Cowboys winning a coin flip with the Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday morning to pick No. 16 overall in May's NFL draft, the team better upgrade the defense.

The last time the Cowboys selected at No. 16 was 1961 when the team drafted linebacker EJ Holub. That year, Holub was a second-round pick with the great Bob Lilly being the first-round pick that season (13th overall).

After finishing the 2013 season with one of the worst defenses in franchise history, the Cowboys promoted Rod Marinelli to defensive coordinator to replace Monte Kiffin, who was given the title of assistant head coach.

Fixing the defense seems to be a priority.

A defensive player has been selected at No. 16 in two of the last three drafts. Buffalo picked quarterback EJ Manuel last year, the New York Jetssnagged defensive end Quinton Coples in 2012 and Washington picked up defensive end Ryan Kerriganin 2011.

ESPN draft experts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay have the Cowboys selecting Alabama safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix.

The defensive line might need some replacements.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4724624/cowboys-need-defense-with-no-16

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
I am the opposite. I don't want him just for the name alone as every time our secondary (and he) gets burned people will be saying HAHA (picture emo sad face now) lol

Agreed, I imagine the Simpson's cartoon bully voice saying the Ha...Ha!
I've seen his name listed as Ha'Sean at some sites. I think I'd have to personally refer to him as that instead.

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I just couldn't do that to another human being much less my child but if they all like it then its golden.

Well apparently his real name is Ha'Sean and Ha Ha was just a nickname that stuck. But even still.... Ha'Sean? lol

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am the opposite. I don't want him just for the name alone as every time our secondary (and he) gets burned people will be saying HAHA (picture emo sad face now) lol

Or when he picks off a pass for a TD, we can say...Ha Ha...

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
WWADD (what would Al Davis do)

Look for the rare elite athlete at WR or TE to be an intriguing option for Jerral Wayne.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Ealy or Donald is a reach at 16. I also have no problem with a small (I said small Jerry!) trade down. Might also be a good spot for Jernigan. This weekend should help sort some things out.

As of now, I'd like to sit there and see if Anthony Barr or Khalil Mack slips, hope like heck 3, maybe 4 quarterbacks go in the Top 15. I have no problem taking Calvin Pryor as well. I really think we are in a good spot. I just don't trust the "brain trust".

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Clowney +3 QB's + 3 OT's + 2 WR's going in the top 15, leaves us sweating 6 players. Someone taking Eric Ebron and/or CJ Mosley also helps a ton. Should be a fun/nervous 1st round.

KDM256

Reaction score
HaHa could very well go to the Rams before we pick at 16. If thats the case, I say trade down and grab DL unless we have another can't miss player available at 16.

No need to reach at this point in the draft for DLineman especially with Marinelli on our sidelines and how deep this draft is at DLinemen

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Ealy or Donald is a reach at 16. I also have no problem with a small (I said small Jerry!) trade down. Might also be a good spot for Jernigan. This weekend should help sort some things out.

As of now, I'd like to sit there and see if Anthony Barr or Khalil Mack slips, hope like heck 3, maybe 4 quarterbacks go in the Top 15. I have no problem taking Calvin Pryor as well. I really think we are in a good spot. I just don't trust the "brain trust".

Unless Ealy or Donald test horribly or flunk a drug test, I think they are perfectly reasonable for that juncture in the draft. Donald's tape speaks for itself and is one of the more productive overall. If he is downgraded it is because he does not fit some team's scheme or people unwisely hold his size against him.

Barr and Mack, you might as well forget about them as I think they will blow up numbers wise, Mack in particular since some evaluators are punching less holes in his tape than Barr.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Unless Ealy or Donald test horribly or flunk a drug test, I think they are perfectly reasonable for that juncture in the draft. Donald's tape speaks for itself and is one of the more productive overall. If he is downgraded it is because he does not fit some team's scheme or people unwisely hold his size against him.

Barr and Mack, you might as well forget about them as I think they will blow up numbers wise, Mack in particular since some evaluators are punching less holes in his tape than Barr.

Not that Broaddus is the definitive source for all things draft but he keeps saying that Mack has some really bad film out there. He still likes Mack, a lot actually. He says he's a monster in the Ohio State game.

I know that Barr and Mack should be gone but at 16, I'd be willing to wait and see.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
That title is just awesome, "Cowboys Need Defense with 16"................Watkins with some ground breaking news..............we need to draft defense.........never would have guessed it.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If Donald tests well at the combine, pick #16 is probably about right for him. Every year guys are listed as second rounders and then by the time the draft rolls around, they get picked high in the first. It happened to Ware. IMO if Donald puts up good numbers in the 40 (10 yard splits), 3-cone, and short shuttle, he is going to rise a butt-load because his tape is so impressive, his character and love of the game is impeccable, and because he probably interviews extremely well.

By early May, I think 16 won't be too early for him at all. It is just that now with everyone seeing the draft "experts" putting out mocks with him in the late first or early second, the average Joe just cant fathom taking him in the mid-first. I truly think he's gonna rise a lot.