ESPN: Cowboys Rookie Class Shows Promise

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Dallas Cowboys’ top five draft picks, from first-rounder Leighton Vander Esch to fourth-rounder Dalton Schultz, combined to start 34 games. Vander Esch put himself in the Defensive Rookie of the Year conversation, and Dallas' second-, third- and fourth-round picks all showed promise. It was another solid class for vice president of player personnel Will McClay.

Read more:
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...ander-esch-cowboys-rookie-class-shows-promise
It was a quality draft. Top 3 started. LVE is a rookie Pro Bowler and Gallup showed alot of promise. Williams should be much better next year when he gets stronger. 3 starters is a solid draft.

Still hard to tell what we are going to get out of day. Covington could possibly move into a starter spot next season at SAM. Even if it is nominal. Shultz could too, but we may also makes some moves at TE as well

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
I'm thinking year 2 is when we'll start seeing the big non-LVE returns from this class. Williams and Gallup should improve, and there's a bevy of guys (Schultz, Armstrong, Covington, Cedrick Wilson) who have a shot to be contributors. Not all of them are going to make it, but even if only one or two do, that's still a heck of a lot of snaps from one draft class.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jury's still out. The Patridge kid looks legit as well as Gallup. Williams is a work in progress. I don't think there's a pick after the first 3 that you can feel good about right now. Dalton Schultz? Spare me. He's a backup.

But again, jury is still out. It's only one year.

It'd be nice if the great Will McClay could unearth a gem in the later rounds once in a while.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Jury's still out. The Patridge kid looks legit as well as Gallup. Williams is a work in progress. I don't think there's a pick after the first 3 that you can feel good about right now. Dalton Schultz? Spare me. He's a backup.

But again, jury is still out. It's only one year.

It'd be nice if the great Will McClay could unearth a gem in the later rounds once in a while.
What are you talking about? He has a bunch of undrafted and late round the starting for us lol.

coult44

Reaction score
It was a quality draft. Top 3 started. LVE is a rookie Pro Bowler and Gallup showed alot of promise. Williams should be much better next year when he gets stronger. 3 starters is a solid draft.

Still hard to tell what we are going to get out of day. Covington could possibly move into a starter spot next season at SAM. Even if it is nominal. Shultz could too, but we may also makes some moves at TE as well

Williams could end up being as much as a disappointment as Taco. I hope not, but I do not any good feelings at all watching him play. Perhaps he should have Laodeceuer train him cause he won't be around to much longer. At least he'd contribute more that way...

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yeah, there's some good value and potential. I think William's will be fine, so Armstrong/Wilson coming on would be verging on a very good draft.

I'm still mad we let Charvarius Ward go. He had "UDFA gem" written all over him, and now he's starting in KC. Perfect size for our scheme.

conner01

Reaction score
I think WR Cedrick Wilson, who got injured in camp, could make the team next year
Him and Covington are interesting
You never know about receivers but if Wilson could be a contributor and Covington could replace Wilson that would be a heck of a draft

conner01

Reaction score
Williams could end up being as much as a disappointment as Taco. I hope not, but I do not any good feelings at all watching him play. Perhaps he should have Laodeceuer train him cause he won't be around to much longer. At least he'd contribute more that way...
I’ve always wondered why ever Player who is not elite talent doesn’t work on deep snapping
If you are say a depth LB that skill could keep you in the league many years
I think Williams will be just fine but I’d be teaching a ton of guys that skill and see who catches on to it

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We’ve already won with LVE and Gallup. Schultz came on late. And Williams is still a OT. Not a guard....

I so hope that the team actually looks into making that switch between Collins and Williams at guard and tackle. I think it would serve both players strengths and hide their weaknesses so well.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Him and Covington are interesting
You never know about receivers but if Wilson could be a contributor and Covington could replace Wilson that would be a heck of a draft

We didn't get to see Covington on the field, but I read nothing but rave reviews about his athleticism, and I've never thought the same about Wilson. Hopefully, a year of NFL coaching has brought Covington's mental acumen up to his physical skills and he will be ready to compete or start at SLB in 2019.

conner01

Reaction score
I so hope that the team actually looks into making that switch between Collins and Williams at guard and tackle. I think it would serve both players strengths and hide their weaknesses so well.
That’s not likely to happen
The reason we got Collins here to begin with was to promise a shot at tackle and give him a contract as soon as he was eligible

conner01

Reaction score
We didn't get to see Covington on the field, but I read nothing but rave reviews about his athleticism, and I've never thought the same about Wilson. Hopefully, a year of NFL coaching has brought Covington's mental acumen up to his physical skills and he will be ready to compete or start at SLB in 2019.
Covington is a former QB so he should have a feel of what offenses want to do
He’s also athletic enough to be a kitchens type guy who can back up the other spots

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s not likely to happen
The reason we got Collins here to begin with was to promise a shot at tackle and give him a contract as soon as he was eligible

He's under contract for another year, at the team's discretion. I like the kid, but he's not playing up to his contract at right tackle. That's the sad truth. So at this point, I don't care what his preference is because he may not even be around next year. Do what best suits the team and find out of he's worth keeping beyond this year, at tackle or at guard.

If he balks? He walks! Like I said, he isn't playing up to his contract now, much less for 2019. Move on and play Williams there or re-sign your swing tackle and let him compete to start.

And Jerry Jones and the team have done right by him and delivered on everything promised. I know none of those promises involved a starting job for life, much less at tackle.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Covington is a former QB so he should have a feel of what offenses want to do
He’s also athletic enough to be a kitchens type guy who can back up the other spots

I hope so, I think Wilson is a goner for sure and they'll need guys like him to fill the void, especially if Lee goes too.

conner01

Reaction score
He's under contract for another year, at the team's discretion. I like the kid, but he's not playing up to his contract at right tackle. That's the sad truth. So at this point, I don't care what his preference is because he may not even be around next year. Do what best suits the team and find out of he's worth keeping beyond this year, at tackle or at guard.

If he balks? He walks! Like I said, he isn't playing up to his contract now, much less for 2019. Move on and play Williams there or re-sign your swing tackle and let him compete to start.

And Jerry Jones and the team have done right by him and delivered on everything promised. I know none of those promises involved a starting job for life, much less at tackle.
I don’t think he’s a bad RT but I also don’t think you can have 4 oline guys on big contracts
I think willians will be fine at guard
I’d like to add a OT to get ready to step in when Collins leaves but I think we have bigger issues for that second rnd pick and not sure you can develope a later pick that fast but you never know

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think he’s a bad RT but I also don’t think you can have 4 oline guys on big contracts
I think willians will be fine at guard
I’d like to add a OT to get ready to step in when Collins leaves but I think we have bigger issues for that second rnd pick and not sure you can develope a later pick that fast but you never know

I'd like an OT in the draft as well. Between Collins contract situation and less than stellar performance there, to Tyron Smith's ongoing health concerns, I'm already eyeing up some mid to late round offensive tackles in the upcoming draft.