News: ESPN: Dak not fretting on deal: 'I don't play for money'

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is entering his 4th season. His setbacks have been not being good enough to even be a backup. His setback last year was not being good enough to beat out Sam Darnold for a backup job. Meanwhile every time he saw the field in his first 2 years his setback was being wildly inaccurate.

The thing about pretending he is a 2024 4th rounder is he is going to not be on a rookie deal after this year. If he starts next year and even looks like Goff out there (so a tier below Dak) he is going to get 2 years 90 million plus the 40 million in dead cap after Dak leaves. Now I think it is highly unlikely he looks good if he gets any play time based on the past 3 years of seeing him try to play but again the best case scenario does not save money and has you downgrading at QB for the same level of cap hit and just hoping in 2-3 years maybe some nice drafts can you get back into contention.
I give you the contract situation but everything else is bs.
You arent willing to let it play out. Jumping the gun for the told ya so.

kskboys

Reaction score
A guy who doesn't play for money doesn't hold out on contract negotiations.

I'm OK w/ it if someone plays for the money, but man up and be truthful.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Always find it amazing year after year that fans don't really understand the business of the NFL. As fans we hate that guys get signed for a massive contract and don't get to a Super Bowl or win a playoff game but if any of us would have the opportunity to holdout out for a bigger paycheck and not get laid off or fired, we would all do it.

The price we are paying players is crazy but you know what else is crazy, the amount of money every owner makes each year by owning a team. Take the New York Jets on their 2022 revenue before expenses which includes amounts paid to players, it was 516 million dollars and profit was after players and all other expenses paid was $169 million. Guess what, Dallas Cowboys revenue during that same time was $1.4 BILLION with expenses roughly the same, and you want to complain what the players are asking for in salary. Really??

Sure there is a cap in place and they have to be in cap compliance but every team manages that cap differently as we have seen. But guess what, on the next NFL/NFLPA contract they could actually make all those cap problems go away depending on what the negotiations are.

The NFL is just big business where even the poorest of teams are making hundreds of millions of $$. For fans, it is about winning and winning a Super Bowl especially for the teams that have been there before, for others it is just about winning a division or a playoff game. For Dallas fans, nothing short of winning a Super Bowl is acceptable, not that it is wrong but it is just not reality.

Adreme

Reaction score
I give you the contract situation but everything else is bs.
You arent willing to let it play out. Jumping the gun for the told ya so.
Again by that logic do not pay Micah, or Lamb, try to trade Martin because it is entirely possible all their cheap backups might suddenly become better than them and now you have more draft picks to get players who might be the future best ever at their positions. Just because it is possible does not make it likely.

For context in this entire century there has been 1 QB who looked like a bust for 3 years and then suddenly turned it around to be great and that is Drew Brees. For those who do not know his first 3 years with the Chargers were so bad that they actually drafted Rivers (well they drafted Eli but were forced to trade him) but because this was pre rookie wage scale Rivers held out for a better deal and Brees was therefore the starter and had a Pro Bowl season and then actually did it again the following season and if not for a major injury to his shoulder they probably would have been forced to sign him and just see if anyone wanted Rivers. The thing is even factoring in the massive inflation of stats from 20 years ago to now (INTs across the league are way down and completion % is up about 6-7% just to name a few things) Brees in his 2 full seasons of starting STILL looked better than Lance.

So basically I cant find someone who looked as bad as Lance has the past 3 years being in the tier 1 QB lists this century.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Classic example of a guy who was trained in how to be a leader but possesses zero natural inclination in how to be a real leader.

In a vacuum his comment oozes 'team guy', just like he was trained. Juxtaposed against the reality of history it comes across as shallow and hypocritical. He just doesn't get it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again by that logic do not pay Micah, or Lamb, try to trade Martin because it is entirely possible all their cheap backups might suddenly become better than them and now you have more draft picks to get players who might be the future best ever at their positions. Just because it is possible does not make it likely.

For context in this entire century there has been 1 QB who looked like a bust for 3 years and then suddenly turned it around to be great and that is Drew Brees. For those who do not know his first 3 years with the Chargers were so bad that they actually drafted Rivers (well they drafted Eli but were forced to trade him) but because this was pre rookie wage scale Rivers held out for a better deal and Brees was therefore the starter and had a Pro Bowl season and then actually did it again the following season and if not for a major injury to his shoulder they probably would have been forced to sign him and just see if anyone wanted Rivers. The thing is even factoring in the massive inflation of stats from 20 years ago to now (INTs across the league are way down and completion % is up about 6-7% just to name a few things) Brees in his 2 full seasons of starting STILL looked better than Lance.

So basically I cant find someone who looked as bad as Lance has the past 3 years being in the tier 1 QB lists this century.
Many people have been traded away due to contract consideration. That's nothing new. I expect each person on the team to earn their job. If we pick up a LBer/end, who either beats Micah, or execs don't want the contract, then Micah goes.

I don't believe there's enough sample size to make your claim Trey is a waste bust. The situation in SF was a mix of injury and success of the successor. The notion that they ONLY ditched Trey "because he sucks"...is pure supposition and cherry picking of events.

You just saying "well it's his fourth year he HAS to be a bust by now"...ignores his limited opportunity...and much of it because of injury and new team with a top 5 QB. Not *necessarily* because he sucks.

But hey..if it plays out as you say...you totally own the "told ya so". Congrats.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I guess Dak likes to barter and he plays for replenishing his herd of goats that neatly graze his half a football field back yard. Why not state reasonably of course I play to be appropriately compensated but truly for my love of football.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Many people have been traded away due to contract consideration. That's nothing new. I expect each person on the team to earn their job. If we pick up a LBer/end, who either beats Micah, or execs don't want the contract, then Micah goes.

I don't believe there's enough sample size to make your claim Trey is a waste bust. The situation in SF was a mix of injury and success of the successor. The notion that they ONLY ditched Trey "because he sucks"...is pure supposition and cherry picking of events.

You just saying "well it's his fourth year he HAS to be a bust by now"...ignores his limited opportunity...and much of it because of injury and new team with a top 5 QB. Not *necessarily* because he sucks.

But hey..if it plays out as you say...you totally own the "told ya so". Congrats.
is it LIKELY that Lance is going to be a top NFL QB?
NO
Impossible?
also NO

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
He plays for the love of the playoffs ...........

also

Dak during playoffs

deer-in-headlights.jpg

Adreme

Reaction score

I mean its less of an "I told you so" and more "Looking at every single QB who has played this century, there is not a single example of a QB being awful for his 3 years and then becoming a t1 QB". If Trey Lance was good enough to beat out Sam Darnold the 49erswould have kept him as their backup but every single report that came out every single day during that competition would talk about how Darnold looked significantly better. So what we know is after 3 years in the NFL he had the skill level of a low end backup.

His strengths are he has a strong arm and is fast. His weaknesses are that he is VERY inaccurate, slow throwing motion, bad at reading defenses, and bad at moving in the pocket. People got really hyped about the first 2 things and it got him drafted really high but it seems like fixing his accuracy has proven to be rather difficult.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sounds to me like 1 of 2 things:

Lance looks more formidable than Dak thought he would and he feels the heat.

or

Dak is terrified to leave the comforting no consequence environment that has been created for him in Dallas and join a team that will hold him accountable that he is putting it out there he might be willing to not break the bank again and take a slight discount.

Either way this isn't the "confident a deal will be done Dak" we've seen in the past.

I think option 2 is too little too late. He's been a loser far to long to warrant another contract here. Tough luck and enjoy your new team next year, Dak!
Option 3: Dak has agents to handle his business for him.

Creeper

Reaction score
I saw this quote and almost choked on my popcorn. Why lie like that? We all know he plays for money, they all play for money. There is nothing wrong with that. He spent a lifetime preparing himself so he could get drafted and signed to an NFL team. Professional athletes play sports for money. Shocking revelation!

If he didn't play for money he never would have asked for $40 million on his last deal. And he won't ask for more money this deal. I have nothing against Dak personally, but when he says stuff like this it makes me cringe.