News: ESPN: Dallas Cowboys all-time teams: Tom Landry vs. Jerry Jones eras

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas Cowboys all-time teams: Tom Landry vs. Jerry Jones eras

i

In 2020, the Cowboys mark their 60th birthday, and what better way to celebrate than selecting all-star starting lineups that represent the two chapters of the franchise's storied history.

Read Full Story

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

i

In 2020, the Cowboys mark their 60th birthday, and what better way to celebrate than selecting all-star starting lineups that represent the two chapters of the franchise's storied history.

Read Full Story

2 in 5 for Jimmy.

2 in 29 for Landry...

gjkoeppen

Reaction score

Read Full Story

Here's what I find real odd about this. They are comparing the great Tom Landry who was a coach to Jones who is an owner. Why wasn't the comparison between Clint Murchison and Jones? That's like comparing Randy White to Troy Aikman., two different positions..

Kwyn

Reaction score

i

Read Full Story
Why isn’t this “Tex Schramm vs Jerry Jones”?

or “Clint Murchison/Bum Bright vs Jerry Jones”?

fgoodwin

Reaction score
Here's what I find real odd about this. They are comparing the great Tom Landry who was a coach to Jones who is an owner. Why wasn't the comparison between Clint Murchison and Jones? That's like comparing Randy White to Troy Aikman., two different positions..
I don't have a problem with it.

Clearly ESPN is not comparing a coach to an owner, they are comparing one era to another. The face of the Cowboys during the years 1960-88 was clearly Tom Landry. And the face of the Cowboys since 1989 has just as clearly been Jerry Jones.

Comparing the Murchison era to Jerry cuts off the last five years under Landry. And comparing the Landry era to the Jimmy era also cuts off a huge chunk of time after 1993.

I think the Landy era vs the Jerry era is the only comparison that makes sense if you want to capture the entirety of the Cowboys' history.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Our great 90s teams were more dominant than our great 70s teams. No finesse with our 90s teams, opponents knew what was coming and couldn’t stop it. Our great 90s teams imposed their will on opponents. Our OL was second to none.

cowboyec

Reaction score
i'll say this looking over the 2 all-time teams...
1.we have one helluva awesome history...i'll put it on the line vs any other franchise.
2.THAT would be one helluva awesome game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
:bow:LANDRY:bow:
20 Consecutive Winning Seasons
5 Super Bowl Appearances
2 Super Bowl Titles
5 NFC Championships
13 Division Titles
:bow:LANDRY:bow:

With as many great teams as the Cowboys had during the 70s they should have ended up with more championships. That’s the only knock I have against Landry’s 70s teams. They lost too many big games.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Tom Landry era netted 2 SB wins. Jerry Jones era has netted 3 so far. Jerry > Tom.

Landry never made a public spectacle of himself or embarrassed his wife, but apparently that extra SB trophy does it for you.

That's fine, just don't preach to any of us again if that's your standard.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If it was Murchison vs Jones, you would have had to include the person really pulling the strings on ol’ Clint

3sr1rq.jpg

Doesn't have a thing to do with Landry exhibiting class while Jerry conducted himself as an old drunk.