News: ESPN: Dallas Cowboys all-time teams: Tom Landry vs. Jerry Jones eras

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it.

Clearly ESPN is not comparing a coach to an owner, they are comparing one era to another. The face of the Cowboys during the years 1960-88 was clearly Tom Landry. And the face of the Cowboys since 1989 has just as clearly been Jerry Jones.

Comparing the Murchison era to Jerry cuts off the last five years under Landry. And comparing the Landry era to the Jimmy era also cuts off a huge chunk of time after 1993.

I think the Landy era vs the Jerry era is the only comparison that makes sense if you want to capture the entirety of the Cowboys' history.

What you said about eras is true. So they could have just put as the 1st 30 years (yes that was 2 years into Jones time) and the last 30 years without using any coach or owner labels. Yes both mean were/are the face of the franchise but they had/have two completely different jobs so how can you say one is better than the other?

fgoodwin

Reaction score
What you said about eras is true. So they could have just put as the 1st 30 years (yes that was 2 years into Jones time) and the last 30 years without using any coach or owner labels. Yes both mean were/are the face of the franchise but they had/have two completely different jobs so how can you say one is better than the other?
I never said one man was better than the other, although I would agree with those who claim Landry was the better man. Nor did I ever claim that one era was better than the other, but again, I would agree that, taken across the entirety of each era, the Landry era > the Jones era.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I never said one man was better than the other, although I would agree with those who claim Landry was the better man. Nor did I ever claim that one era was better than the other, but again, I would agree that, taken across the entirety of each era, the Landry era > the Jones era.

I agree that Landry was a better person but but with 2 Super Bowl wins for Landry and 3 Super Bowl wins for Jones I'd have to give a slight edge to Jones on the era question. There was one other thing that could go in Landry's favor for era but it's really not fair. Landry did set the record for the most consecutive winning seasons but it was also before the salary cap and free agency. Once a team built a winning team they could keep that team together without losing players to free agency or having to let players walk because of a salary cap. In fact because of the cap and free agency it's pretty much impossible to compare eras. other than Super Bowl wins. Just so you know, I've been a Cowboys fans since the first day Jan. 28, 1960 so I've seen both eras first hand.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Only fans who’d say 3 Rings over 2 as the only measurement would come to any conclusion otherwise.

That 4 year span in early 90’s was greatest in Cowboys history but measuring entire eras there’s really no comparison. Landry era was best.

fgoodwin

Reaction score
I never understood why Landy was penalized for the lack of a salary cap, when compared to Jones who had to operate (for the most part) under a cap.

That's not the right comparison. Landry's opponents also had no salary cap, so arguably his opponents were more stable personnel-wise than Jerry's opponents.

I'm not saying Landry should therefore get a benefit as a result, I'm asking why does the lack of a cap apply to him but not his opponents?

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Class vs No class
fd7834011a4365dc45a134434f20d881.jpg
DL4swbCU8AA18FO.jpg
Kinda like your post. Those pictures were all photoshopped. Within 5 minutes I can have Landry & Jerry's bodies switched. Surprised they allowed you to post this garbage being it's a family site. :thumbdown: