ESPN: Debunking the Dak contract debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nav22

Reaction score
Long, in-depth, fantastic read. Bill Barnwell’s articles are always extremely well-researched.

It’s full of facts and stats... which means the anti-Dak crew either won’t be smart enough to grasp it or they won’t have the integrity to give it an honest read.

For everyone else, enjoy!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ract-debate-facts-fiction-why-cowboys-pay-him

While he's not Mahomes, the preponderance of evidence suggests he's a top-10 quarterback and somewhere in the six-to-eight range. The idea that the Cowboys can just replace him with a cheaper option and get similar production is not supported by evidence or history.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Well this uses actual data, so I'm sure it will go over real well. Not much in there that hasn't been posted here 100 times, but I think this was the most interesting part:

In the fourth quarter and overtime, when the game has been within eight points, Prescott has been excellent; he has the league's ninth-best passer rating (104.8) and third-best QBR (79.2) when the game is late and within one score. Neither Goff or Wentz can compare. Goff ranks 26th in passer rating (80.9) and 29th in QBR (42.7) in those same moments, while Wentz is 19th in passer rating (87.0) and 19th in QBR (59.6). Prescott also has the best winning percentage in games decided by eight points or fewer at 19-13, while Goff is at a similar 13-9 and Wentz has gone 13-17.​

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Long, in-depth, fantastic read. Bill Barnwell’s articles are always extremely well-researched.

It’s full of facts and stats... which means the anti-Dak crew either won’t be smart enough to grasp it or they won’t have the integrity to give it an honest read.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ract-debate-facts-fiction-why-cowboys-pay-him

While he's not Mahomes, the preponderance of evidence suggests he's a top-10 quarterback and somewhere in the six-to-eight range. The idea that the Cowboys can just replace him with a cheaper option and get similar production is not supported by evidence or history.
But "tHe EyE tEsT"

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

LOL...…….."Debunking"!!!! Gotta love it.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

0e756405aeba7b83b50201251500e91c_400x400.jpeg

PLEASE tell Jerry to give the Dak man that contract!!!

doomsday9084

Reaction score

The article largely uses Wentz and Goff as a baseline. It points out that Dak is better than them and that they got deals worth $30m+. I don't disagree with any of that.

So, does anyone here think that Philly or LA is going to win big having given out those contracts? If not, why would anyone use them as a baseline if the goal is Dallas team success? I mean, sure, I get it. If you are an Eagles fan trolling the Cowboys board it doesn't matter. Eagles fans are probably hoping Dallas gives Dak $40m per year or more. But if you are truly a Cowboys fan, shouldn't this bother you?

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
4 years 100 million all guaranteed. 5 million escalator for each non wild card playoff win. 10 mill for sb appearance. I wouldnt offer a penny more.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The market needs a reset.
This is the time to do it.

The true market pays for production not next man up.

Should the next third string QB coming up for a new contract be the highest paid?

Agreed it needs a reset. But that is a side point.

Whether you like it or not, Dak is getting offered the market. Nothing unusual here. To say otherwise is naïve.

12+88=7

Reaction score
LOL...…….."Debunking"!!!! Gotta love it.

I knew you would be making an appearance.

Speaking of debunking, did you read the section of the article on "comebacks and game winning drives".

It specifically used Pro Football Reference and said Prescott was 5th since 2016. Geez, who mention that on another thread?

I wasn't wrong, the article you used to push your narrative was wrong. End of story.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Dallas wants 6 years, Prescott wants 4. Settle on 5 and get it done.
Dak wants 4 years. If there is to be a 5th year he wants 40 million for that year. At least that’s what I think I heard. I think they have settled on 35 million or just a hair more than Wilson got. Believe it’s the guaranteed money and the 5th year is the hang up. I would just forget the 5th year and throw a few million of guaranteed money at the pile and get it done...

MaineBoy

Reaction score
The article largely uses Wentz and Goff as a baseline. It points out that Dak is better than them and that they got deals worth $30m+. I don't disagree with any of that.

So, does anyone here think that Philly or LA is going to win big having given out those contracts? If not, why would anyone use them as a baseline if the goal is Dallas team success? I mean, sure, I get it. If you are an Eagles fan trolling the Cowboys board it doesn't matter. Eagles fans are probably hoping Dallas gives Dak $40m per year or more. But if you are truly a Cowboys fan, shouldn't this bother you?

Using Wentz and Goff as the baseline is a false comparison. Neither is worth their current contracts and neither is a QB that is going to bring a franchise long term playoff success. And the most telling comparison in this long article is how Dak played against winning teams that had more than 10 wins: Dak performed worse than both Wentz and Goff by a significant margin. It confirms that he is a good bus driver but he does not lead or lift a team to victory against good teams. Period. Which puts the onus on the rest of the team to get us wins against good teams. He should be paid like a good bus driver, not a franchise QB. And should the team even settle for a bus driver.

HungryLion

Reaction score
The market needs a reset.
This is the time to do it.

The true market pays for production not next man up.

Should the next third string QB coming up for a new contract be the highest paid?

“The true market”. and then you state your opinion.

Your opinion is not “the true market”. The true market is what nfl teams are willing to pay QB’s.

Therefore, whatever Dak signs with the cowboys will in fact be his true market. That’s how it works.

12+88=7

Reaction score
As I have said multiple times, these articles should be sent to Stephen and Jerry, because they are the only ones that count.

This thread will devolve into a back and forth about Prescott for the umpteenth time today(and it's morning). Forget all that and ask yourself with all these articles that support Prescott getting signed, why hasn't he? WHY?

It's going on two years of negotiations, why? What are we missing?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Using Wentz and Goff as the baseline is a false comparison. Neither is worth their current contracts and neither is a QB that is going to bring a franchise long term playoff success. And the most telling comparison in this long article is how Dak played against winning teams that had more than 10 wins: Dak performed worse than both Wentz and Goff by a significant margin. It confirms that he is a good bus driver but he does not lead or lift a team to victory against good teams. Period. Which puts the onus on the rest of the team to get us wins against good teams. He should be paid like a good bus driver, not a franchise QB. And should the team even settle for a bus driver.

I think that slicing the data that thin leads to wild swings in the numbers. The sample size isn't big enough and it can make the data point to false conclusions.

I have no issues putting Dak around the 6 to 10 range as a QB and more valuable than Goff and Wentz.

I don't think that Goff and Wentz are worth their deals and in both cases, it will hurt their teams. Using their contract is a baseline is understandable from an agent perspective but asinine from a team perspective. They are terrible contracts.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
I agree Dak should get a fair contract like other quarterbacks on his level, but why should he get paid the same as bad contracts given out to players by other teams??

HungryLion

Reaction score
All this discussion about the market for Dak too.

we should take this into account:

The cowboys CHOSE to use the exclusive franchise tag.

Meaning they didn’t even want to expose Dak to being able to negotiate with other teams for the possibility of 2 first round picks.

To be honest I didn’t really agree with that decision and thought they should use the non exclusive tag.

But we shouldn’t ignore the fact that the cowboys FO made that choice. That choice is very telling.

Status
Not open for further replies.