News: ESPN: Deep balls to Dez have been duds

NewsBot

Reaction score
IRVING, Texas – The deep ball to Dez Bryant should be the most potent weapon in the Dallas Cowboys’ passing arsenal. That hasn’t been the case this season. Tony Romo has targeted Bryant 18 times on passes that traveled at least 25 yards in the air this season. They have connected on only four of those, gaining 198 yards on those completions, none of which resulted in touchdowns. By comparison, Romo was 10-of-19 for 394 yards and three scores last season on passes to Bryant that traveled 25-plus yards in the air.

Continue reading...

The Natural

Reaction score
bu but he has that special throwing motion he's just waiting to break out right

giphy.gif

links18

Reaction score
How long before Romo's arm turns into Brad Johnson's 2008? But, of course, someone on our coaching staff still thought Johnson could play.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Sometimes his arm looks good. Sometimes it doesn't. Too inconsistent. At this point I've come to the realization that we have wasted Tony's career and he will not win anything in Dallas. Tony's window is closing fast and we just don't have the talent to be contenders. And that showed last week. We need to be looking for Tony's replacement. Hopefully a blue chipper in the draft.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
How long before Romo's arm turns into Brad Johnson's 2008? But, of course, someone on our coaching staff still thought Johnson could play.
that someone was the the offensive coordinator at the time..and he is now the CURRENT head coach

ufcrules1

Reaction score
Sometimes his arm looks good. Sometimes it doesn't. Too inconsistent. At this point I've come to the realization that we have wasted Tony's career and he will not win anything in Dallas. Tony's window is closing fast and we just don't have the talent to be contenders. And that showed last week. We need to be looking for Tony's replacement. Hopefully a blue chipper in the draft.

Yeah, we wasted his career, Tony had nothing at all to do with wasting his own career.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Deep ball passing isn't really about arm strength. It's much more about getting the ball to 'launch' high enough at the release point. Quincy Carter didn't have a strong arm, but he could throw a good deep pass.

Where I see issues with arm strength is usually on hitch routes and out patterns. You really have to put some mustard on those. This is where I see Romo's arm strength decline. I've seen him throw across the field from the opposite hash mark and it takes forever to get the receiver.

That's what largely concerns me about Romo's age, we are seeing arm strength and accuracy issues.

YR

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Need it lay it out there for Dez with enough air under it so it's at worst a 50/50 ball. It seems Tony has been struggling to do this. Just like how Minnesota used to give Moss 1-2 bombs each game - they didn't care about coverage....

Deep_South

Reaction score
Need it lay it out there for Dez with enough air under it so it's at worst a 50/50 ball. It seems Tony has been struggling to do this. Just like how Minnesota used to give Moss 1-2 bombs each game - they didn't care about coverage....

That's what Eli has been doing, but his luck finally ran out.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of Romo's deeper passes seem to come up short. Especially last week when he underthrew Dez at least twice with both being incomplete.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
All of Romo's deeper passes seem to come up short. Especially last week when he underthrew Dez at least twice with both being incomplete.
He's had his fair share of overthrows too though.

I think, more than anything, Tony is just trying to be safe with the football, even when he's going downfield. Coverage is underneath, he's going way over the top. Coverage is step for step, he's putting the ball where only the WR has a chance.

He's always been so-so on deep balls, but I don't think its necessarily indicative of anything having to do with arm strength.

ufcrules1

Reaction score

Not Romo's fault... Dez is just too fast on game day. That one overthrow in the endzone was probably Dez letting up, also not Romo's fault.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
He's always been so-so on deep balls, but I don't think its necessarily indicative of anything having to do with arm strength.

It's nothing to do with arm strength, it is more to do with brain power.

Gameover

Reaction score
Overthrows really don't matter Cowboys have no talent - John Madden

If Romo had a defense and he didn't have to put up 40 and score on every drive, every game - Zoners

Ive complained for years about Romo's lack of accuracy on deep balls. Glad others have finally joined the chorus!

Wood

Reaction score
I not's his arm its his head. He no longer drives thru his throws. Too many off back foot throws praying nobody hits him.