ESPN expected to have another round of layoffs in 4 weeks

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
here's a typical BSPN story

they add this podcast to their network from the guys at Barstool Sports called Barstool Van Talk..... Barstool is big online and has racy and locker-room humor

BSPN gives them one show and Sam Ponder and Sarah Spain complain that they can't add them because they are misogynists.......BSPN caves after one show saying they didn't know it was the same guys even though Barstool is in their name

The Barstool guys then release dozens of Tweets from Ponder and Spain that can be judged in bad taste and misogynistic......Ponder cries and apologizes......Spain tries to hide behind bs

Then Jen Sterger comes forward and says ESPN is the most toxic place she ever worked.... she said everyone sexually harassed her and all made fun of the Brett Favre stuff and said it was her fault......Sarah Spain was one that treated her terrible

If ESPN covered their employees like they cover athletes there would be no one left in Bristol to get up on their soap boxes and point their fingers at everyone else

John813

Reaction score
So, hypothetically, if ESPN were to fold in 2018, what would happen to the NFL in regards to the cap?
Would the cap drop if ESPN folded and didn't fulfill their TV contract obligations?
I would assume the 8 year, 15.2 billion contract is paid yearly, with each year being 1.9b per.

Ghost12

Reaction score
So, hypothetically, if ESPN were to fold in 2018, what would happen to the NFL in regards to the cap?
Would the cap drop if ESPN folded and didn't fulfill their TV contract obligations?
I would assume the 8 year, 15.2 billion contract is paid yearly, with each year being 1.9b per.
1) I don't believe ESPN will fold
2) Even if they did, I believe their parent company is still responsible for ESPN's debts and obligations

but if we assume hypothetically that ESPN and Disney/ABC completely disappear....

My guess is that the league would shop the Monday Night package elsewhere. Maybe TNT, maybe a streaming service, maybe FS1..... but IMHO - and I admit this is just guesswork since I do not know the intricate details of the TV packages - the cap would indeed be affected by the change in revenue. If the league got more revenue in the new deal, the cap would go up accordingly. If they got less revenue, it would go down.

CowboysFanSince88

Reaction score
1) I don't believe ESPN will fold
2) Even if they did, I believe their parent company is still responsible for ESPN's debts and obligations

but if we assume hypothetically that ESPN and Disney/ABC completely disappear....

My guess is that the league would shop the Monday Night package elsewhere. Maybe TNT, maybe a streaming service, maybe FS1..... but IMHO - and I admit this is just guesswork since I do not know the intricate details of the TV packages - the cap would indeed be affected by the change in revenue. If the league got more revenue in the new deal, the cap would go up accordingly. If they got less revenue, it would go down.

I actually remember sunday night football being on TNT in the 90's

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I can only imagine how catty and cut throat it is at ESPN. Everyone vying for airtime and wanting to be the top dog.