ESPN: Free agent Ezekiel Elliott visiting Patriots

Robbieac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Free agent running back Ezekiel Elliott is scheduled to visit the New England Patriots on Saturday, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Elliott, who was released by the Dallas Cowboys on March 15 in a salary cap move, had a career-low 876 rushing yards in 2022, but he scored 12 touchdowns and remained a top short-yardage back and pass protector.

That is a potential role that the Patriots, who are preparing to practice in full pads early next week with a heavy emphasis on the running game, could be looking to fill.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38094172/source-free-agent-ezekiel-elliott-visiting-patriots

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Bill is smart enough to realize that part of Zekes decrease in stats was due to being Daks primary bodyguard on a large percentage of plays.
Having said that, I don't think Zeke would be the ideal fit for Bills scheme.

kumizi

Reaction score
Is Zeke willing to play for the league minimum?

Pats aren’t stupid. Likely just a favor for his agent.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Bill is smart enough to realize that part of Zekes decrease in stats was due to being Daks primary bodyguard on a large percentage of plays.
I think Zeke is exactly what Bill would look for. Pass catching ability and short yardage. Blount had a couple of strong years in New England and he was older than Zeke when he joined.

Big_D

Reaction score
Bill truly knows how to use a committee. There will be no favoritism up there if he signs. Zeke could certainly carve out a role and be very good.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Zeke played with his knee hyper extended the last 3rd of the season.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I think Zeke is exactly what Bill would look for. Pass catching ability and short yardage. Blount had a couple of strong years in New England and he was older than Zeke when he joined.
Yup.

When healthy, Zeke is easily a 4.x ypc back.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Bill truly knows how to use a committee. There will be no favoritism up there if he signs. Zeke could certainly carve out a role and be very good.
Take a look at the Pats RBs.

Scrubs.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Zeke had a whopping 17 receptions for 92 yards just last season.
So? It's a good thing multi-year careers aren't defined by a single season. He averages 3 receptions/game (50/year prorated) for his career with a 7.7 yard/reception. He can clearly do better than 17.

Big_D

Reaction score
Take a look at the Pats RBs.

Scrubs.

Stevenson heading into year 3 is far from a scrub.. 5 ypc last year. And Montgomery is a good veteran role player just like Bill likes. Then 2 RBs drafted last year who should see increased work. In the Patriots offense all of them will see reps. You think Elliotts gonna go up there and carry the load.. it's not going to happen.

Big_D

Reaction score
It's actually a perfect spot. He could be productive, probably do better than minimum wage and remain fairly healthy without being overused.