News: ESPN: How the Dez Bryant no-catch call changed the NFL forever

Plankton

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34997228/how-dez-bryant-no-catch-changed-nfl-forever

WE ALL SAW IT. It happened right before our very eyes.

Fifty-two point three million of us watched it live on television. Untold millions have watched it since, in its YouTube afterlife. And to watch it once is to watch it many times, almost by definition -- nobody even had the chance to watch it just once, since the replays started rolling as soon as the ball was whistled dead. The play itself took about seven seconds, snap to signal. The ensuing deliberation took another four minutes, give or take, and the controversy the play generated has lasted for nearly eight years and counting.

It was a catch, of course. It was ruled a catch on the field at 3:58:43 p.m. on Jan. 11, 2015, and it remained a catch until 4:02:29, when the referee announced the reversal by the letter of the law. Then three years later, it became a catch again, when the NFL changed the rules to accommodate its brilliance. Now every time we watch an NFL game we witness some aspect of its legacy, because one of the greatest catches in the history of the game was ruled, "after review," incomplete.

There have been other catches that have, in the space of a few seconds, caused football empires to rise and fall. Bradshaw-Swann, 1976; Montana-Clark, 1982; Manning-Tyree, 2008; Roethlisberger-Holmes, 2009; Brady-Edelman 2017: these are catches that have changed games, careers, fortunes and lives. But they all counted. The pass that Tony Romo threw to Dez Bryant in a playoff game between the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers in 2015 -- or, in its enduring social media afterlife, #DezCaughtIt -- did not, and yet it has changed the way we watch football.

This Sunday's game between the Cowboys and Packers allows us yet again to think about a play that has changed our expectations and our perceptions, the leaps of imagination we once thought impossible and the rounds of on-field litigation we now accept as inevitable. It brought football into its modern era, when we can scarcely believe what we have just seen and then can expect to be told we have not seen it. There was a before and there was an after, and if we wonder why in 2022 we live in a time when nobody can agree on anything, when unlimited scrutiny and maximum technological expertise have combined to produce an age of endless uncertainty, all we have to do is watch, once again, these teams play in January 2015, and try to tell each other, what happens when Tony Romo throws the ball down the sideline and Dez Bryant goes up to get it.

The play was the play because the moment was the moment. It was a divisional playoff game. It was in Green Bay, on an afternoon that was 24 degrees at game time, and though the tundra remained unfrozen, it was a game with a Lombardi-era pedigree as well as high stakes for the outcome of the 2014 football season. Both teams had finished 12-4; the Packers, with an unjaded Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, were 6½-point favorites, but the Cowboys had gone unbeaten on the road, and at least three of their players, Tony Romo and Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray, were having career years. Dallas had gone ahead by eight points midway through the third quarter, but Green Bay had scored two touchdowns and now Cowboys coach Jason Garrett's team faced the moment that would decide if this was their moment.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Step right up and get your horse, dead horse here. You can kick him, slap him and great for kids. Get your dead horse here. lol

watch

Portnoy1

Reaction score
The play being ruled a catch doesn't guarantee they win though. I believe he caught at and dove to the one. Let's say they run it in for the score, we still have to give the ball back to Aaron Rodgers. An Aaron Rodgers who had one leg and still managed not to barely get sacked. Add to that the defense couldnt get a needed stop after the failed 4th down. Also perhaps if butterfinger Demarco doesn't fumble he'd hit his head on the goal post making the Dez catch/non catch possibly not be a factor. Sure the ref made a bad call, especially by today's standards, but defense couldnt get a one legged Rodgers on the ground at all, Murray fumbled a clear huge gain and most likely TD. That's why the cowboys lost.

The same thing can be said for what happened the prior week when they played Detroit. The ref screwed up /picked up the flag on pass interference. What Detroit fans seem to forget is the punter shanking a kick for 6yards or so giving the Cowboys great field position right after that. That always gets left out.

Tommy

Reaction score
Some of the calls that are made on the field and in the booth in the NFL worry me sometimes. Sometimes it really feels like there has to be more going on here than just a bad call. There is no way that call should have been overturned. There is absolutely no way the Bears fumble against us 2 weeks ago should have been overturned. And it doesn't take a trained, professional referee to make these calls. Any person with half a brain can agree that there was not clear and conclusive evidence to reverse the call.

But the biggest evidence of shady officiating I have ever seen was in a statistic posted in here several years back. If I can find it I'll post it. It was the number of career roughing the passer calls made in the 2nd half of games in favor of several top QB's in the NFL. The number of calls made in the favor of other QB's compared to those of Tony Romo was unbelievable. Absolutely no way that stat could just be a weird coincidence.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34997228/how-dez-bryant-no-catch-changed-nfl-forever

WE ALL SAW IT. It happened right before our very eyes.

Fifty-two point three million of us watched it live on television. Untold millions have watched it since, in its YouTube afterlife. And to watch it once is to watch it many times, almost by definition -- nobody even had the chance to watch it just once, since the replays started rolling as soon as the ball was whistled dead. The play itself took about seven seconds, snap to signal. The ensuing deliberation took another four minutes, give or take, and the controversy the play generated has lasted for nearly eight years and counting.

It was a catch, of course. It was ruled a catch on the field at 3:58:43 p.m. on Jan. 11, 2015, and it remained a catch until 4:02:29, when the referee announced the reversal by the letter of the law. Then three years later, it became a catch again, when the NFL changed the rules to accommodate its brilliance. Now every time we watch an NFL game we witness some aspect of its legacy, because one of the greatest catches in the history of the game was ruled, "after review," incomplete.

There have been other catches that have, in the space of a few seconds, caused football empires to rise and fall. Bradshaw-Swann, 1976; Montana-Clark, 1982; Manning-Tyree, 2008; Roethlisberger-Holmes, 2009; Brady-Edelman 2017: these are catches that have changed games, careers, fortunes and lives. But they all counted. The pass that Tony Romo threw to Dez Bryant in a playoff game between the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers in 2015 -- or, in its enduring social media afterlife, #DezCaughtIt -- did not, and yet it has changed the way we watch football.

This Sunday's game between the Cowboys and Packers allows us yet again to think about a play that has changed our expectations and our perceptions, the leaps of imagination we once thought impossible and the rounds of on-field litigation we now accept as inevitable. It brought football into its modern era, when we can scarcely believe what we have just seen and then can expect to be told we have not seen it. There was a before and there was an after, and if we wonder why in 2022 we live in a time when nobody can agree on anything, when unlimited scrutiny and maximum technological expertise have combined to produce an age of endless uncertainty, all we have to do is watch, once again, these teams play in January 2015, and try to tell each other, what happens when Tony Romo throws the ball down the sideline and Dez Bryant goes up to get it.

The play was the play because the moment was the moment. It was a divisional playoff game. It was in Green Bay, on an afternoon that was 24 degrees at game time, and though the tundra remained unfrozen, it was a game with a Lombardi-era pedigree as well as high stakes for the outcome of the 2014 football season. Both teams had finished 12-4; the Packers, with an unjaded Aaron Rodgers at quarterback, were 6½-point favorites, but the Cowboys had gone unbeaten on the road, and at least three of their players, Tony Romo and Dez Bryant and DeMarco Murray, were having career years. Dallas had gone ahead by eight points midway through the third quarter, but Green Bay had scored two touchdowns and now Cowboys coach Jason Garrett's team faced the moment that would decide if this was their moment.
Even if that pass to Dez was ruled a catch, I'm sure Rogers would have found a way to win the game................LOL!!!

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Some of the calls that are made on the field and in the booth in the NFL worry me sometimes. Sometimes it really feels like there has to be more going on here than just a bad call. There is no way that call should have been overturned. There is absolutely no way the Bears fumble against us 2 weeks ago should have been overturned. And it doesn't take a trained, professional referee to make these calls. Any person with half a brain can agree that there was not clear and conclusive evidence to reverse the call.

But the biggest evidence of shady officiating I have ever seen was in a statistic posted in here several years back. If I can find it I'll post it. It was the number of career roughing the passer calls made in the 2nd half of games in favor of several top QB's in the NFL. The number of calls made in the favor of other QB's compared to those of Tony Romo was unbelievable. Absolutely no way that stat could just be a weird coincidence.

https://cowboyszone.com/threads/romo-and-roughing-the-passer-2006-15.352769/

Carson

Reaction score
The play being ruled a catch doesn't guarantee they win though. I believe he caught at and dove to the one. Let's say they run it in for the score, we still have to give the ball back to Aaron Rodgers. An Aaron Rodgers who had one leg and still managed not to barely get sacked. Add to that the defense couldnt get a needed stop after the failed 4th down. Also perhaps if butterfinger Demarco doesn't fumble he'd hit his head on the goal post making the Dez catch/non catch possibly not be a factor. Sure the ref made a bad call, especially by today's standards, but defense couldnt get a one legged Rodgers on the ground at all, Murray fumbled a clear huge gain and most likely TD. That's why the cowboys lost.

The same thing can be said for what happened the prior week when they played Detroit. The ref screwed up /picked up the flag on pass interference. What Detroit fans seem to forget is the punter shanking a kick for 6yards or so giving the Cowboys great field position right after that. That always gets left out.
I much rather lose and have a chance than to have it taken away from you.

That is why this one stings more than the playoff loss at home. We had them pinned and Rodgers to Cook made a hell of a play. I still cannot believe Byron Jones let that happen

tyke1doe

Reaction score
By the rules at the time, it wasn't a catch.
But I don't think it mattered anyway.
If it was ruled a touchdown, we would have been up by (2) 28-26 or by three (3) 29-26.
But we weren't stopping Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. With 4 minutes left, he likely would have driven down the field for the winning touchdown.

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see if the refs call a straight game this time. They'll likely make calls to keep the game from being a blowout if needed but I don't think the league is full on trying to keep the Packers in the playoff race, that ship may have sailed. It's all about ratings...

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
it seems we beat the lions on a bs call so maybe this was the result of that. shrugs who knows.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I much rather lose and have a chance than to have it taken away from you.

That is why this one stings more than the playoff loss at home. We had them pinned and Rodgers to Cook made a hell of a play. I still cannot believe Byron Jones let that happen
Dak gets blamed for that loss all the time here lol

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
By the rules at the time, it wasn't a catch.
But I don't think it mattered anyway.
If it was ruled a touchdown, we would have been up by (2) 28-26 or by three (3) 29-26.
But we weren't stopping Aaron Rodgers in Green Bay. With 4 minutes left, he likely would have driven down the field for the winning touchdown.

Cobb didn't catch his, and it was obvious from the replay, but the review called it a catch. This could be hand waived away much easier if we didn't have a call go the other way in the same game.