ESPN: In young QB market, Cutler hot, Eli Manning not (Romo Included)

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger and Dallas' Tony Romo impress with their ability to strike downfield after leaving the pocket.

Cincinnati's Carson Palmer dazzles with his arm strength and his ability to sniff out opposing defenses.

Houston's Matt Schaub has a better feel for the pocket than most, while Jacksonville's David Garrard brings poise and a high football IQ to the quarterback position.

For all their differences, most of the NFL's promising young quarterbacks share a striking similarity in the eyes of scouts and coaches: They can't touch Denver's Jay Cutler for sheer potential.

Asked to evaluate 11 young starters, experts singled out Cutler as the quarterback most likely to reach the elite status currently shared by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
"The kid in Denver, to me he is the future of this league," an AFC pro scout said.

"I would jump on that boat," an NFC personnel director said. "He isn't quite there, but you see those flashes of a guy who, once he has the whole playbook in his mind and he's made all the mistakes he needs to make in learning it, man, he's going to be a special player."

ESPN.com granted anonymity to two pro scouts, one personnel director, a defensive coordinator and a defensive backs coach in exchange for unvarnished evaluations.

The experts analyzed starting quarterbacks younger than 30 and with fewer than four seasons of starting experience. San Francisco's Alex Smith and Arizona's Matt Leinart fell from consideration because neither has established himself as a long-term starter.

That left 11 young quarterbacks standing: Roethlisberger, Romo, Palmer, Schaub, Garrard, Cleveland's Derek Anderson, San Diego's Philip Rivers, Tennessee's Vince Young, Washington's Jason Campbell, the New York Giants' Eli Manning and, of course, Cutler.

STRONG BUY

Jay Cutler, Broncos

The second-year pro has completed better than 60 percent of his passes through his first 18 regular-season starts, but the numbers don't begin to explain what separates Cutler from the others.

"I love him," the AFC scout said. "He's athletic, poised, smart, accurate -- and there was just something about that kid coming out, the way he was wired."

The Broncos have had problems surrounding Cutler with a consistent supporting cast. Losing veteran center Tom Nalen was a significant setback. Top receiver Javon Walker has hardly played. Top running back Travis Henry has 34 carries over the last seven games.

Cutler's numbers have suffered as a result, but he's still averaging 7.9 yards per attempt, putting him up there with Brett Favre (7.96) and Peyton Manning (7.9).

"He has an unbelievable career ahead of him," the NFC personnel director said. "He is Romo [in terms of confidence] with the physical tools to match. He's fun to watch because he's kind of like the kid who plays quarterback down at the playground. 'Let's just go play.'"

Cutler, 24, has less experience than the other quarterbacks on our list, leaving more for the imagination. But his poise and physical ability are obvious already.

"He has a cannon of an arm, obviously, and when he's in the pocket, he has the arm strength to make all the throws," an NFC pro scout said. "Throw in the fact that he can move around and buy additional time, and he's got a pretty impressive arsenal in terms of ability and arm strength and feet."

BUY

Tony Romo, Cowboys

Few quarterbacks produce more with less obvious physical ability. That's not intended as a criticism, either. Romo has enough physical ability, no question, but his confidence makes him especially dangerous.

"If you put him in the room with great quarterbacks and broke down their qualities, you wouldn't say this guy is No. 1 in any of those things," the NFC personnel director said. "But he might be No. 1 in confidence. I think he gets a lot of stuff done with attitude and mind-set and preparation and confidence."

The approach is working. Romo, 27, has 35 touchdowns and a 107.7 rating this season for the best team in the NFC. He's averaging 8.6 yards per attempt and has been sacked just 19 times in 13 starts this season. The Cowboys are getting elite production from a player with only 23 regular-season starts.

"He throws a nice ball, one of those catchable balls," the secondary coach said. "He's not going to have the biggest arm, but he's accurate."

Most quarterbacks worry about backside pressure when moving outside the pocket. Romo seems unperturbed. And he's more dangerous than other quarterbacks once he breaks outside containment.

"He always keeps his head up when he's outside the pocket," the NFC pro scout said. "Most guys look five or 10 yards down the field, but it's like Romo looks 40 yards downfield and works his way back. He'll throw to the other side of the field and a guy will be uncovered because everyone [bailed]."

ROMO WATCH

Bullish: Accurate, mobile, able to strike downfield after leaving the pocket. Off-the-charts confidence and a strong supporting cast help him approach elite status.

Bearish: Lacks the raw physical attributes of other quarterbacks on this list, notably pure arm strength.

2007 TD passes 20 or more yards

Player TDs
Tony Romo 18
Tom Brady 14
Peyton Manning 12
Brett Favre 9
Derek Anderson 9

For rest of the story... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=3142771

Hoofbite

Reaction score
For all their differences, most of the NFL's promising young quarterbacks share a striking similarity in the eyes of scouts and coaches: They can't touch Denver's Jay Cutler for sheer potential.

Asked to evaluate 11 young starters, experts singled out Cutler as the quarterback most likely to reach the elite status currently shared by Tom Brady and Peyton Manning.
"The kid in Denver, to me he is the future of this league," an AFC pro scout said
I don't really know what it takes to get to that status but Tony has to be close.

Im assuming it means win a Superbowl because Romos numbers are on par with some of the best passing seasons of all time.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This may be the most bizarre assessment I've ever seen by any real columnist, ever.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Hello espn, Romo has already reached elite status. Its like they can't comprehend the numbers he is putting up.

Dallas

Old bulletproof tiger
Reaction score
Idgit;1831296 said:
This may be the most bizarre assessment I've ever seen by any real columnist, ever.

Lack of arm strength? I don't think that is an issue for Romo. He can gun the ball and he can zip the ball.

How many times do you see QB's throwing for 60 yrd bombs over and over?

Oh yeah...that past GB game. Ok..

How many times do you see QB's throwing for 60 yrd bombs over and over and actually win the game?

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
******** article

he is #1 in confidence.. :rolleyes:

give me a break

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
ESPN.com granted anonymity to two pro scouts, one personnel director, a defensive coordinator and a defensive backs coach in exchange for unvarnished evaluations.

LOL. Talk about a huge sampling of opinions. 5 out of 150+.

NOT!

Tobal

Reaction score
Am I wrong to think he has as quick of a release as any of the other guys mentioned? Wouldn't most "football" people note that? Or at least mention whose release is faster?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Weird.

I know this information came from Scouts and they are entitled to there opinion, but...

Most of the ESPN Analyst that I have listened to have stated that Romo is a Top 5 Qb and if you take away Manning, Brady and Favre, he would be their choice.

Ron Jaworski, Marcellus Wiley, Sean Salisbury and Mark Schlereth have all stated that.

I am not an NFL Scout but I have never understood the obession over Arm Strength.

Football IQ, Accuracy, mobility and maybe sufficient height would rank higher.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
All of these scouts and personnel directors are the same one's that passed on Romo in the draft for some of those same "shortcomings", like arm strength, stature, etc.

It's no surprise the dumbarses are still making the same mistakes with him.

I wouldn't trade Romo for any of those guys.

Eddie

Reaction score
If Romo and Cutler were offered to all 32 NFL teams ... every one would pick Tony Romo. Not even in the same ball park.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Romo is already a star and I wouldnt trade him for anyone else...but I do like Cutler and liked him alot going into last yrs draft...I'd have picked him ahead of Young or Leinart

he has a bright future in this league

David

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Didn't they have a skills challenge at the Pro Bowl last year?

Who won that again?

hint

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Mavs Man;1831339 said:
Holy crap! A Bret Hart avatar!

:yourock:

Unfortunately its followed by a Flyers sig pic:bang2: (im an NYR fan)

Nav22

Reaction score
I'll bet my life that Cutler never has a year on the level of Romo's in 2007.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
Nav22;1831409 said:
I'll bet my life that Cutler never has a year on the level of Romo's in 2007.

Who was it that had a bet going with a Bronco fan as to who would have a better season, Romo or Cutler?

:laugh2:

Score!

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1831356 said:

Who won that again?

hint

WOW....do you think the author of that article wants to take back his assessment yet?

"And in a sign that the Pro Bowl Skills Challenge has very little to do with actual NFL ability, there's word today that Tony Romo won it."

swj010

Reaction score
Mavs Man;1831356 said:

Who won that again?

hint
Oh, that's not fair. Cutler didn't participate. LOL