ESPN: In young QB market, Cutler hot, Eli Manning not (Romo Included)

CowboysPhan

Obsequious Cowboys Toadie
Reaction score
Bill Wooten;1831433 said:
WOW....do you think the author of that article wants to take back his assessment yet?

"And in a sign that the Pro Bowl Skills Challenge has very little to do with actual NFL ability, there's word today that Tony Romo won it."

Wow! Did you read all the comments that were posted after that article? It was freakin' hilarious! Everyone, even some Cowboys fans were just sure that Romo was a flash in the pan, that Dallas was going to go nowhere, that Wade was a loser of a coach, blah, blah, blah. I especially loved the comment someone made that was like, "Don't tell me, you guys think Romo's actually going to be in the league of Brady and Manning!!!!!!!" My what a difference a year makes.

cowboyz

Reaction score
AsthmaField;1831320 said:
All of these scouts and personnel directors are the same one's that passed on Romo in the draft for some of those same "shortcomings", like arm strength, stature, etc.

It's no surprise the dumbarses are still making the same mistakes with him.

I wouldn't trade Romo for any of those guys.
exactly, so concerned about being able to throw any ball anywhere on the field.

being a qb with the intangibles and accuracy is way more important that having the big arm.

J-DOG

Reaction score
Romo to me does not have the strongest arm, and there are qb's who are bigger.
But...I would say Romo is the best as far as his pocket presence. And believe me that is huge in today's NFL.
Also I happen to think Romo is exceptional in reading defenses and his ability to see the whole field.
"As good as Cowboy fans think Romo is now...he's going to be much better down the line."-Babe Laufenberg on GAC this week.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Thehoofbite;1831295 said:
I don't really know what it takes to get to that status but Tony has to be close.

Im assuming it means win a Superbowl because Romos numbers are on par with some of the best passing seasons of all time.

he's already there IMO

but Cutler does have alot going for him, he's Romo but w/ a cannon, although I don't think he has quite the confidence or polish, which may come though, the polish that is

btw, in terms of athleticism, I'd put Romo in the class of Cutler, Ben, Favre and then there's everybody else, the dude is just a phenominal athlete, minus the arm, but it has enough zip

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Idgit;1831296 said:
This may be the most bizarre assessment I've ever seen by any real columnist, ever.

yea, don't wanna go off on anyone but cutler? what's he done to date to raise the play of his team?

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
Eddie;1831324 said:
If Romo and Cutler were offered to all 32 NFL teams ... every one would pick Tony Romo. Not even in the same ball park.

:hammer: They absolutely would choose Romo with any hesitation. Derek Anderson has more potential than Palmer. So what if Palmer has a strong arm, Jeff George and Ryan Leaf did too and look where they are. Palmer will be with them in a year or two.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
#1 attribute of a QB.... Read the defense fast, go throught your progressions fast and release fast. Romo does that maybe better than anyone right now. Who cares if you have a strong arm , but can't do any of the above.

zeroburrito

Reaction score
culpepper and mcnabb were elite for 1 year also. garcia and warner were elite for 2 years. what happened?

Jay-D

Reaction score
I just don't see the big potential in Jay Cutler that these guys are gushing about.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Jay-D;1831893 said:
I just don't see the big potential in Jay Cutler that these guys are gushing about.

These are scouts and personnel guys. Tall, big arm. They're always infatuated with that. For WRs, it's 40 times and height.

To me it's what you do with the game on the line. Romo is one of those rare players who makes everyone around him better. Like someone else said, offer Tony or Cutler to 31 teams, they ALL take Romo, Denver included. In fact, I think it was Shanahan who was pissed Romo decided on Dallas.

Nav22

Reaction score
Is it wrong that I laughed while watching the Broncos-Texans game because the notion that the clown under center for Denver somehow has a better future than Tony Romo was HILARIOUS to me?

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Jay Cutler has a ton of potential.

And maybe someday he'll be as good as Tony Romo is right now.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
mickgreen58;1831316 said:
Weird.

I am not an NFL Scout but I have never understood the obession over Arm Strength.

Football IQ, Accuracy, mobility and maybe sufficient height would rank higher.

...Hall of Fame QBS with two markedly differing careers would argue against the variable of arm strength.

Can anyone say Joe Montana and Dan Marino? The first was lauded for generalship and the second for his quick read and release.

Both were downgraded in their respective drafts because they didn't have the prototypical arms.

Scouts and coaches fall back on measureables because the intangibles are so hard to define.

As fans of the league we will continue to see diamonds in the rough come out of the later rounds and hopefully the Cowboys will be more willing to explore players who can play football on the field as opposed to being good physical specimens.

Reaction score
Romo has a nice arm, you don't need a freakin' rocket arm to be a Hall of Fame QB! Romo has a high football IQ, which is what the great ones have.

*See Joe Montana...

Nav22

Reaction score
Jay Cutler has a ton of potential.

And maybe someday he'll be as good as Tony Romo is right now.
I'll take production over potential any day of the week.

If anyone saw the Broncos game tonight and thought that Jay Cutler has the "it" factor that Romo not only possesses, but has a monopoly on... call your local optometrist.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
03EBZ06;1831284 said:
BUY

Tony Romo, Cowboys

Few quarterbacks produce more with less obvious physical ability. That's not intended as a criticism, either. Romo has enough physical ability, no question, but his confidence makes him especially dangerous.

"If you put him in the room with great quarterbacks and broke down their qualities, you wouldn't say this guy is No. 1 in any of those things," the NFC personnel director said. "But he might be No. 1 in confidence. I think he gets a lot of stuff done with attitude and mind-set and preparation and confidence."

Thats just dumb. He produces MORE with LESS but there is NO QUESTION he has ENOUGH?

Where is "less-enough-o-physical-ability" meter?

Where does he lack in physical ability?