News: ESPN: Joe Girardi will not return as manager of Yankees

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
You don't understand the Yankees and the pride we have. It's a miracle he last this long. It's the old Ricky Bobby saying...if you're not first, you're last. They won in spite of him.

YR

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
You don't understand the Yankees and the pride we have. It's a miracle he last this long. It's the old Ricky Bobby saying...if you're not first, you're last. They won in spite of him.

YR
Nah. They didn’t.

Girardi was a quality manager.

Don’t be a goofus.

And spare me the “pride we have” nonsense... every baseball fan knows the rich history of the Yankees.

You’re not some part of a cool, Dead Poets Society/Skull and Bones-type cool club, bubba

Most of us in this Zone know the sport, and know it well, and know the rich tradition of the Yanks.

Still makes Girardi’s non-renewal a head scratcher.

Please Arte, for all that is holy, snag him.

Like I said, it probably doesn’t matter as he’s eyeing a role in the Commish office

Last edited:

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
200 games over .500

TWO HUNDRED GAMES OVER FIVE HUNDRED.

DId I hear that right on the radio this Morning???

Yup. And 1 World Series in 10 years.

That's simply way below our expectations. And it was reflected in attendance:

yan.png

Yankees fans expect and demand to win the World Series. If a manager cannot meet those expectations and demands, then they need to go elsewhere to manage.

YR

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

yan.png

Yankees fans expect and demand to win the World Series. If a manager cannot meet those expectations and demands, then they need to go elsewhere to manage.

YR

I stopped going to games because the “beer here” vendor stepped my view about 5 times in one inning.

I called usher and said... “this guy... this guy with the beer... no no”

Usher kept him away but the game experience is what keeps me away.
Not the team

1. You got a chart for that?
2. You know that 3 mil per year is awesome.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
That's an interesting table but it's hard for me, personally, to know if it's valid without understanding what the overall trend looks like for Baseball in general.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Nah. They didn’t.

Girardi was a quality manager.

Don’t be a goofus.

And spare me the “pride we have” nonsense... every baseball fan knows the rich history of the Yankees.

You’re not some part of a cool, Dead Poets Society/Skull and Bones-type cool club, bubba

Most of us in this Zone know the sport, and know it well, and know the rich tradition of the Yanks.

Still makes Girardi’s non-renewal a head scratcher.

Please Arte, for all that is holy, snag him.

Like I said, it probably doesn’t matter as he’s eyeing a role in the Commish office

Your posts show you know nothing about Yankees fans and their expectations and demands. It was a miracle he lasted this long with 1 World Series title (and we won that in spite of him and his debacle managing against the Angels in the ALCS.

And who thinks the Dead Poets Society is cool?

YR

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
That's an interesting table but it's hard for me, personally, to know if it's valid without understanding what the overall trend looks like for Baseball in general.

The Yankees don't play by the same standards as the rest of baseball nor should they.

YR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The Yankees don't play by the same standards as the rest of baseball nor should they.

YR

Well, that may or may not be true but I guess my question would be, why does it matter? I mean, without understanding what attendance trends look like for Baseball in general, you really can't know if the chart you posted is reflective of the job Girardi did or not. If the trend is down for baseball in general, then you can't really say it's Girardi. If Baseball attendance is up everywhere, then maybe you can make that argument.

You posting that chart can not prove correlation without understanding the trend in general.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Well, that may or may not be true but I guess my question would be, why does it matter? I mean, without understanding what attendance trends look like for Baseball in general, you really can't know if the chart you posted is reflective of the job Girardi did or not. If the trend is down for baseball in general, then you can't really say it's Girardi. If Baseball attendance is up everywhere, then maybe you can make that argument.

You posting that chart can not prove correlation without understanding the trend in general.

Because the Steinbrenners wouldn't put up with a decline in attendance regardless of the reason. They are the owners and they have good reason for firing Girardi...it's costing them money.

YR

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Because the Steinbrenners wouldn't put up with a decline in attendance regardless of the reason. They are the owners and they have good reason for firing Girardi...it's costing them money.

YR

Yeah, well, GEORGE Steinbrenner was not always balanced in his decision making and he didn't always make the right decisions, especially when he was younger. George Steinbrenner had some talented teams in the late and early 90 that fell short and a fair amount of that can be attributed to George Steinbrenner IMO. I liked George Steinbrenner but he was not flawless and the decisions he made were not always right.

I do not argue with your stance on the owners and the right to fire anybody. Owners have that right, no question. However, that doesn't validate the attendance chart.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Yeah, well, GEORGE Steinbrenner was not always balanced in his decision making and he didn't always make the right decisions, especially when he was younger. George Steinbrenner had some talented teams in the late and early 90 that fell short and a fair amount of that can be attributed to George Steinbrenner IMO. I liked George Steinbrenner but he was not flawless and the decisions he made were not always right.

I do not argue with your stance on the owners and the right to fire anybody. Owners have that right, no question. However, that doesn't validate the attendance chart.

Considering the financial success that George made the Yankees when he bought them from CBS as a business he was far more often right than he was wrong. And his sons run the organization.

The attendance chart is valid and in the Steinbrenner's minds they were no longer going to put up with a manager that only *went* to 1 WS in 10 years and struggled to with the AL East. And with the attendance on the decline it was the coup de grace unless he managed to win the WS this year. And again...he didn't even make it to the World Series this season.

They were saying the same things about firing Buck Showalter and we got rid of him and never looked back with Joe Torre.

You either win titles in the Bronx or you're gone. Girardi should thank his lucky stars he lasted this long.

YR

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Your posts show you know nothing about Yankees fans and their expectations and demands. It was a miracle he lasted this long with 1 World Series title (and we won that in spite of him and his debacle managing against the Angels in the ALCS.

And who thinks the Dead Poets Society is cool?

YR
I was using Dead Poets Society to land a point. It went way the hell over your head. I can spell it out for you?

Relax, hoss, the board knows how crazy NY and it’s fans and media are.

Like I said, it’s not some secret.

And btw, yes, Dead Poets Society is rad as hell.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

yan.png

YR
I think you’d find that attendance is down across the league

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Considering the financial success that George made the Yankees when he bought them from CBS as a business he was far more often right than he was wrong. And his sons run the organization.

The attendance chart is valid and in the Steinbrenner's minds they were no longer going to put up with a manager that only *went* to 1 WS in 10 years and struggled to with the AL East. And with the attendance on the decline it was the coup de grace unless he managed to win the WS this year. And again...he missed the WS.

They were saying the same things about firing Buck Showalter and we got rid of him and never looked back with Joe Torre.

You either win titles in the Bronx or you're gone. Girardi should thank his lucky stars he lasted this long.

YR

If you followed Steinbrenner, the whole, "he was more right then he was wrong", statement becomes more valid only after considerable time. He was way wrong more often in the early years, then he was right. It took him time to learn and understand how to own. As time went on, the Yankees became more successful under Steinbrenner but in the early years, that really wasn't the case IMO. Steinbrenner bought the Yankees in 73, I believe. From 73 to 95, the Yankees only won 2 WS. From 95 to 2010, which is when George died, they won 5 WS. So in 23 years, they won 2 Championships. In the next 15, they won 5. George was not nearly as good in the early years. From 82 to 94, they never made the playoffs, if I recall.

His "Sons" are not George. They aren't even close IMO. However, as I said earlier in this post, George was not "George" until much later in his career as owner so perhaps they will grow into better owners. Having said this, the chart is not proof of anything unless there is more info presented. I have no problem with you saying that you believe Girardi didn't win enough and that's why he is gone. I mean, that may or may not be true, I don't know. What I am saying is that you posting that chart and coming to the conclusion that the decline in attendance is due to Girardi can not be proven without more info. The chart means nothing unless you can point to that and say, the Yankees are in decline while the rest of the league attendance is on the rise. You need more before you can prove that statment Rich.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
If the Dead Poets Society is 'rad as hell', then I want to be the biggest square that ever lived.

YR
Dude, it’s a classic film. Robin Williams should have won the academy award for lead actor for his performance. What do you mean by “biggest square that ever lived?”

Anyways, don’t stray away from my original point, YR.

Or do, whatever.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Dude, it’s a classic film. Robin Williams should have won the academy award for lead actor for his performance. What do you mean by “biggest square that ever lived?”

Anyways, don’t stray away from my original point, YR.

Or do, whatever.

A bunch of Ivy League bound teenagers who are fretting over wanting to go to Yale over Princeton and are so daring that they sneak off into a cave to read poetry to each other is disturbing and out of touch...not 'cool' nor is it 'rad.'

YR

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
A bunch of Ivy League bound teenagers who are fretting over wanting to go to Yale over Princeton and are so daring that they sneak off into a cave to read poetry to each other is disturbing and out of touch...not 'cool' nor is it 'rad.'

YR
Wow, dude. More like a bunch of kids being led astray and found a mentor, one who is antiestablishment and gives these youngsters (who were previously fed with a golden spoon) a sense of purpose and direction. And when the establishment can’t take this outsider professor anymore, they rally behind him.

Remember the young boy who kills himself due to the pressure from his father?

Yes. Great film.

You have yet to answer any of my questions, only giving me a half-arsed, incredibly lazy synopsis of a fine film. A point you latched on to that wasn’t even the driving force behind my original reply to you. It was only used to hammer a point. But it seems like I missed the nail completely.

Yakuza, there’s a corner over there. Go take a time out.

Come back when you are ready to address my points.

Or don’t. Whatever.