Twitter: ESPN- Kellen expected to stay as OC

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What a mind blower if Dak has to change yet again. The WRs really like KM.
Evidently, the new HC likes him because he studied this team a lot this past season. You get one of the brighter O minds in the NFL studying your work for a year and he wants to keep you? You stay if for nothing more than gaining the knowledge.

Last edited:

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Are you establishing what would be your criteria for his? I would be like you are describing but coaches leave or turn down higher profile jobs all the time.

Some do it for family like Paul Christ at WIS, the guy lives in the same house he grew up in Madison. The NFL took shots at Bill Snider at K State and he wasn't leaving for any money or fame. The guys that did, Pepper Rogers, Petrino, Saban and Spurrier decided that wasn't for them. Tom Herman went big time to UT, I wonder how many times he wishes he were back in HOU?

I think Moore has decided the NFL is for him. He got his first chance with the Cowboys and then some so it stands to reason where his loyalty would lie and if this HC from the O side wants him to stay and he has decided at least for now that the NFL is where he wants to be, I agree, this is the job for him.

But I would not have faulted him or considered him not smart if he returned to his part of the country because compared to Washington, Dallas is butt ugly. Different strokes.

I'm just saying that I'm pretty damn certain that as long as he had a job running the offense of this specific football team he wasn't going to go somewhere else to do the exact same job for a way, way, way less known program. If he was a 60 year old man, sure he'd probably do it. Dude is 30 and coaching the Dallas Cowboys. If he wants to coach his whole life and one day become an head coach (NFL or College) being here is the smartest thing he'd do for his future. He knows that. That's why he is coming back here.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm just saying that I'm pretty damn certain that as long as he had a job running the offense of this specific football team he wasn't going to go somewhere else to do the exact same job for a way, way, way less known program. If he was a 60 year old man, sure he'd probably do it. Dude is 30 and coaching the Dallas Cowboys. If he wants to coach his whole life and one day become an head coach (NFL or College) being here is the smartest thing he'd do for his future. He knows that. That's why he is coming back here.
But have his pay calling duties been removed? On these teams where the HC calls the O plays, most don't know who the OC is.

And you are right in that bolded part, that is you, not him. I would feel the same way as you do, give me the fast track for my career.

We don't all share the same ambitions, desires and motivations.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
But have his pay calling duties been removed? On these teams where the HC calls the O plays, most don't know who the OC is.

And you are right in that bolded part, that is you, not him. I would feel the same way as you do, give me the fast track for my career.

We don't all share the same ambitions, desires and motivations.

Well he is coming back so you, me, him and 99.99% of the rest of the world would do exactly what he's doing. The report that he was "considering" it is just to be nice to Washington.

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
More like 6th in scoring , 5th in rushing, 1st in pass yards and 1st overall yards but still a great season for a 1st year OC...

He’s most likely not calling plays here anyway..So KM and MM can merge their play books in the off-season auto form a new age scheme to match this teams talent

Then game day a very experienced offensive play caller in MM will help manage in game calls and adjustments..this will be witnessed and heard over the headset and teach Moore further..

He’s young and talented and has future much like we passed up in Sean Peyton because BillP suddenly without warning. Retired and we lost SP..if there were discussions about possible ply wanting to retire, Jerry would have informed SP to stay because hes next up...

So Jerry is hoping in time KM can be the next Sean Peyton. This will go along ways to getting that done..

Yes I meant to state #6 in scoring and I do see what you are saying. I still think it was a good enough improvement to continue to see where this goes under Mike’s tutelage.

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
You are a fountain of information!

This is a good keep. Guy is 30 years old. Did a good job last season. Some weird moments but given the dysfunction around him that was expected. I think working with McCarthy is going to do wonders for him. I still want them to keep Columbo and Kitna. Anyone have info on those 2 guys.
And I enjoy reading your stuff my friend

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Love me some KM .I hope he runs his own version not the WCO.

khiladi

Reaction score
To me, this is the biggest question going into next season. McCarthy is a West-Coast guy and Moore is not. You are talking about a completely different type of offense.

So when they say Moore is being kept, it raises some questions. It seems to lay credence to the facf Jerry wanted to keep him.

Gaede

Reaction score

Yeah, he would be totally bat**** insane to leave NFL. If college is where his hearts at, great. But put in a year or two more doing well as the OC for one of the biggest sports franchises in the world, and you have your pick of the litter for HC of a college program.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Moore may not call plays this year though

Dallasfann

Reaction score
Moore may not call plays this year though

That shows even more how big this franchise is. He had an offer to go home with his family and call the plays at Washington. Here they told he might not even call the plays anymore yet he is still coming back. Like Gaede said on the post above you, if he really wants to coach college why not stay here with our offensive players and continue to mature and succeed at the highest level on the biggest stage. If he does that he could have head coaching offers for some big college programs.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That shows even more how big this franchise is. He had an offer to go home with his family and call the plays at Washington. Here they told he might not even call the plays anymore yet he is still coming back. Like Gaede said on the post above you, if he really wants to coach college why not stay here with our offensive players and continue to mature and succeed at the highest level on the biggest stage. If he does that he could have head coaching offers for some big college programs.
It may be the franchise or it may be that Moore just prefers staying in the NFL. Or maybe some combination thereof.

I'm not sure about the idea that staying in the NFL would help him get a big time head coaching opportunity in college. Off the top of my head I'm not aware of a big time college program hiring a head coach that didn't have at least some college coaching experience.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
It may be the franchise or it may be that Moore just prefers staying in the NFL. Or maybe some combination thereof.

I'm not sure about the idea that staying in the NFL would help him get a big time head coaching opportunity in college. Off the top of my head I'm not aware of a big time college program hiring a head coach that didn't have at least some college coaching experience.

I don't even know what the argument is anymore. All I'm saying is he was never leaving the Cowboys for Washington. I'm very confident in that statement.