ESPN Mosley: Romo at his best in the fourth quarter

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
December 5, 2008 1:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Yesterday I asked ESPN Stats & Information to do a comparison of Ben Roethlisberger's and Tony Romo's career passing numbers in the fourth quarter. Romo has been at his best when the game's on the line with a passer rating of 107.2 in the fourth quarter. He's thrown 20 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Big Ben has played more than Romo, but he's thrown 19 touchdowns and 21 interceptions. He has a 79.1 passer rating. If the Cowboys keep it close heading into the fourth quarter, I like their chances with Romo.

Dallas Cowboys, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo
Read comments or leave a comment

Link: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-6-42/Romo-at-his-best-in-the-fourth.html

Click the link to see side-by-side comparison of Romo and Ben R. 4th qtr stats.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How does he like our chances if we're way ahead going into the 4th quarter?

DarylJohnston

Reaction score
Yeah, Romo has been awesome in the 4th quarter yet it's hardly ever mentioned.

Romo needs a good game on Sunday and needs to outplay Big Ben and then there'll be even less room for anyone to criticize him... though some still will.... (like Skippy).

superpunk

Reaction score
It's the facts that make it so damn hard to buy into the "Romo is a choker" myth.

CoCo

Reaction score
DarylJohnston;2462775 said:
Yeah, Romo has been awesome in the 4th quarter yet it's hardly ever mentioned.

Romo needs a good game on Sunday and needs to outplay Big Ben and then there'll be even less room for anyone to criticize him... though some still will.... (like Skippy).

What we need on Sunday is to win. Period.

I don't care if Romo carries us to victory or we win in spite of him. It can be packaged a variety of different ways. I don't care which variety it is.

I care very little about quieting anyone's criticism of our team or specific players. What I want is for us to find a way to win. Period.

superpunk

Reaction score
Here are some other QBs numbers for this season only, it's tough to find compiled career splits.

Drew Brees, when playing from behind, has an 85.4 QB rating. He has thrown 9 TDs, and 10 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 72.2 rating, and has thrown 4 TDs and 6 INTs.

Kurt Warner fares a little better. When playing from behind, he has an 89.8 QB rating, has thrown 13 TDs and 8 INTs. In the 4th quarter within +/-7 category, he has an 85.6 rating, 6 TDs and 5 INTs.

Eli Manning, when playing from behind, has an 78.8 QB rating. He has thrown 4 TDs, and 3 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 115.4 rating, and has thrown 4 TDs and 1 INTs.

Eli Manning, when playing from behind, has an 83.2 QB rating. He has thrown 11 TDs, and 7 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 80.6 rating, and has thrown 5 TDs and 3 INTs.

Brett Favre, when playing from behind, has an 80.3 QB rating. He has thrown 6 TDs, and 5 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 82.5rating, and has thrown 4 TDs and 3 INTs.

Tony Romo, when playing from behind, has an 107.9 QB rating. He has thrown 9 TDs, and 3 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 146.4 rating, and has thrown 5 TDs and 0 INTs.

Now you tell me based on those results who you would want QBing your team with the game on the line, or attempting to lead a comeback.

Tony Romo, without a doubt.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
WoodysGirl;2462738 said:
December 5, 2008 1:00 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

Yesterday I asked ESPN Stats & Information to do a comparison of Ben Roethlisberger's and Tony Romo's career passing numbers in the fourth quarter. Romo has been at his best when the game's on the line with a passer rating of 107.2 in the fourth quarter. He's thrown 20 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Big Ben has played more than Romo, but he's thrown 19 touchdowns and 21 interceptions. He has a 79.1 passer rating. If the Cowboys keep it close heading into the fourth quarter, I like their chances with Romo.

Dallas Cowboys, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo
Read comments or leave a comment

Link: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0-6-42/Romo-at-his-best-in-the-fourth.html

Click the link to see side-by-side comparison of Romo and Ben R. 4th qtr stats.

Rout on. Stealers going down!

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Well, the stat that sticks out the most for me is the scoring in the first quarter. What was it? Like 60+ to 7pts in the first quarter against us.

That's got to stop if they want to make it to and thru the playoffs.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
jobberone;2462896 said:
Well, the stat that sticks out the most for me is the scoring in the first quarter. What was it? Like 60+ to 7pts in the first quarter against us.

That's got to stop if they want to make it to and thru the playoffs.

We've been outscored 73-62 in the first quarter.

It was 41-7 against us in three games with Brad Johnson. With Romo, we've outscored our opponents 55-32 in the first quarter.

LearningToFly

Reaction score
Since he entered the league, Roethlisberger leads the entire NFL in game winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime, even more than Brady or Manning. If the Steelers need a drive in the fourth quarter, I'm confident they can put it together.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
LearningToFly;2462967 said:
Since he entered the league, Roethlisberger leads the entire NFL in game winning drives in the 4th quarter or overtime, even more than Brady or Manning. If the Steelers need a drive in the fourth quarter, I'm confident they can put it together.

Over 75% of message board stats are made up. ...unless your a Stealer fan, then it's closer to 110%. :rolleyes:

btw, Brady doesn't need many game winning drives. He usually routs everyone he plays. Naming him was a useless stat.

superpunk

Reaction score
superpunk;2462843 said:
Here are some other QBs numbers for this season only, it's tough to find compiled career splits.

Drew Brees, when playing from behind, has an 85.4 QB rating. He has thrown 9 TDs, and 10 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 72.2 rating, and has thrown 4 TDs and 6 INTs.

Kurt Warner fares a little better. When playing from behind, he has an 89.8 QB rating, has thrown 13 TDs and 8 INTs. In the 4th quarter within +/-7 category, he has an 85.6 rating, 6 TDs and 5 INTs.

Eli Manning, when playing from behind, has an 78.8 QB rating. He has thrown 4 TDs, and 3 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 115.4 rating, and has thrown 4 TDs and 1 INTs.

Eli Manning, when playing from behind, has an 83.2 QB rating. He has thrown 11 TDs, and 7 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 80.6 rating, and has thrown 5 TDs and 3 INTs.

Brett Favre, when playing from behind, has an 80.3 QB rating. He has thrown 6 TDs, and 5 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 82.5rating, and has thrown 4 TDs and 3 INTs.

Tony Romo, when playing from behind, has an 107.9 QB rating. He has thrown 9 TDs, and 3 INTs. In the 4th quarter, with the game within 7 points, he has a 146.4 rating, and has thrown 5 TDs and 0 INTs.

Now you tell me based on those results who you would want QBing your team with the game on the line, or attempting to lead a comeback.

Tony Romo, without a doubt.

The second "Manning" should be Peyton.

cowboyz

Reaction score
LearningToFly;2462967 said:
interesting. because his late and close 3 yr average sucks

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6770/splits;_ylt=Al3j6WJoNOAcdYeaU5Tjvp7.uLYF?year=avg

68 qb rating, 5 tds, 9 ints

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/6624/splits;_ylt=Al3j6WJoNOAcdYeaU5Tjvp7.uLYF?year=avg

romo

118 qb rating, 10 tds, 3 ints

also compare the situational stats, look at the 2min warning, ie clutch time

btcutter

Reaction score
We all know Romo can lead a team back.

Question is really, can this defense hold a lead?! or can the Defense get the ball back into Romo's hands to give us a chance?!

Next_years_Champs

Reaction score
btcutter;2463031 said:

Question is really, can this defense hold a lead?! or can the Defense get the ball back into Romo's hands to give us a chance?!

I agree this is on the defense, a championship caliber defense will step up and accept the challenge of playing the top ranked unit with a little show of their own. I'm optimistic about this team the effort has returned they just haven't put it all together yet, hopefully we see the best effort of the year Sunday.....

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
btcutter;2463031 said:

The Cowboys defense has held the lead in two must win games.

Tampa Bay 13-9

How many chances did TB have at the end of the game?

@ Washington 14-10

The offense blew two chances to score with turn overs. The fact that they were not run all the way down the field saved Dallas.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I hope the Cowboys have the wind at their backs in the 2nd and 4th quarter. If they win the toss, they will defer.

Tony Romo will DESTROY this defense with the wind at his back.

LearningToFly

Reaction score
nyc;2462974 said:
Over 75% of message board stats are made up. ...unless your a Stealer fan, then it's closer to 110%. :rolleyes:

btw, Brady doesn't need many game winning drives. He usually routs everyone he plays. Naming him was a useless stat.

Roethlisberger had led 16 4th quarter or overtime comeback victories since he entered the league in 2004. Name a QB who's done more than that. And this is a stat that I already knew but was shown both during the Sunday night game in Jacksonville and another national game later on in the season. But if you just want to believe I'm a liar to help you sleep at night, then sure, that's fine as well.

And the reason I named Brady is because he was one of the other top QBs on that list. I believe Peyton Manning was second, and Brady was either third or fourth.