ESPN Mosley: T.O. with and without Romo

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
T.O. with and without Romo
November 24, 2008 5:59 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley The folks over at ESPN Stats & Analysis sent us some interesting numbers earlier today. With Tony Romo in the lineup, T.O. has been the target on 8.4 throws per game. Without Romo, T.O. was the intended receiver on 7.6 attempts per game.

With Sunday's 213-yard performance, T.O.'s now averaging 77.3 yards per game. In the three games Romo was out, T.O. averaged 33.3 yards per game. Of course, the Cowboys will face press coverage on T.O. the rest of the season. We're still trying to figure out what led the 49ers to play 10 yards off the line of scrimmage against T.O. for most of the game Sunday.

As big and powerful as he is, T.O. hates being jammed at the line of scrimmage. Michael Irvin told me recently that he used to reach out and slap the arms of cornerbacks. For some reason, T.O. prefers to try to use his footwork to get separation.

Mark my words. Seattle will jam T.O. at the line of scrimmage on 90 percent of the Cowboys' passing plays Thursday. Then we'll see if things have truly changed for T.O.

Dallas Cowboys, Terrell Owens, Tony Romo
Read comments or leave a comment

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
the one thing we don't have to worry about is Seattle's pass defence, it is pretty bad. There offence is just as bad.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Anyone get the idea that some writers are upset at the fact that their "demise of TO" stories will have to wait a bit longer?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
windward;2441427 said:
Anyone get the idea that some writers are upset at the fact that their "demise of TO" stories will have to wait a bit longer?
And they think assigning one of the highest paid corners to him is just letting him roam freely. They act like he was just given those 200 yards.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2441423 said:
Of course, the Cowboys will face press coverage on T.O. the rest of the season.
There is an easy answer for that.

Roy11, Witten, Bennett, MBIII, Choice.....

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
theogt;2441432 said:
And they think assigning one of the highest paid corners to him is just letting him roam freely. They act like he was just given those 200 yards.

That's true: How dare you put just your best corner on washed-up T.O.!! If you put your best corner on him, then press him with safety help over the top most of the time, that exposes that Owens has lost it.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
gimmesix;2441514 said:
That's true: How dare you put just your best corner on washed-up T.O.!! If you put your best corner on him, then press him with safety help over the top most of the time, that exposes that Owens has lost it.
Irrefutable logic there.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2441425 said:
the one thing we don't have to worry about is Seattle's pass defence, it is pretty bad. There offence is just as bad.

everytime we play a mediocre secondary, our passing game becomes impotent.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
Biggems;2441581 said:
Uh huh. Except for yesterday and the numerous other times we've had big passing days.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Biggems;2441581 said:

In this offense, our passing game is always important.

Oh, wait ...

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Biggems;2441581 said:

Especially against the Seahawks.

Wasn't their entire starting secondary injured during that playoff game?

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
gimmesix;2441514 said:
:hammer:

windward;2441517 said:
Irrefutable logic there.
:hammer:

rojan

Reaction score
I read in another thread that the Seahawks safety's haven't been playing very well this year.

If that is the case than I don't expect them to be pressing very often either.

Definitely not 90% of the time.

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
Some in the media act like T.O. never gets off the jam. I've seen him get off jams lately. He was open plenty of times when Romo was out, but the backups couldn't get him the football. He caught a TD on Webster at the Meadowlands.

By the way, the Packers "gave the blueprint", not the Commanders.

Also, on T.O.'s 75 yard TD, he was covered when the ball was in the air. Romo threw the ball out there and allowed him to use his speed to uncover. Plus, T.O. kind of jammed himself when he ran into Clements. It didn't stop him.

Finally, it is funny how the safety over the top is never mentioned when they talk about T.O. "not getting off the jam".

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
windward;2441427 said:
I think its funny that on the day that Owens had one of the best games in his career....McNabb probably had his worst.

On top of it all, I'm sure that, even if only for a split second, put a smile on Owens' face.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I expect Seattle to try and put the clamps on TO with press coverage at the line and help over the top. If you were the coach in settle wouldn't you do the same giving the big game TO had last week? I think this is a game where Romo will have to rely on his other weapons namely Roy Williams. I also think the running game has to be there so that we can force the other safety up to the line of scrimmage and get the 1 on 1 matchup with Williams

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2442077 said:
I expect Seattle to try and put the clamps on TO with press coverage at the line and help over the top. If you were the coach in settle wouldn't you do the same giving the big game TO had last week? I think this is a game where Romo will have to rely on his other weapons namely Roy Williams. I also think the running game has to be there so that we can force the other safety up to the line of scrimmage and get the 1 on 1 matchup with Williams

Absolutely!!

No game is easy. Besides I have bad memories of the playoff game against Seattle... no, not because of fumbled snap....

Because... going into that game... WOW, we were gonna light up that pedestrian(and I do mean pedestrian) secondary.... arggghhhh

Doomsday101

Reaction score
YoMick;2442088 said:
Absolutely!!

No game is easy. Besides I have bad memories of the playoff game against Seattle... no, not because of fumbled snap....

Because... going into that game... WOW, we were gonna light up that pedestrian(and I do mean pedestrian) secondary.... arggghhhh

Last week Seattle played Washington tough in a 17 to 20 loss, the week before they played the Cards tough losing 20-26. Yes both of these were loses but they were close games and the Cowboys can't afford to take them lightly. If you look at this game from the seahawks point of view what do you do to try and stop Dallas? in my mind I think they will focus on shutting down Owens