WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The latest on the Pro Bowl voting
December 11, 2008 3:41 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

My colleague Paul Kuharsky was kind enough to forward the final numbers from the fans' Pro Bowl voting. The Washington Commanders certainly ran the best campaign and it appears Eagles fans didn't show up at the polls. The Beast dominated the NFC rankings, mostly because of my wonderful readers.

Here's the breakdown of how teams from our division finished:

Quarterback: 2. Eli Manning, Giants 4. Jason Campbell, Commanders (Wow, Tony Romo not even in the top five. Stunning.)

Running backs: 1. Clinton Portis, Commanders (Surprising to see him ahead of Adrian Peterson by 100,000 votes.) 3. Marion Barber, Cowboys 4. Brandon Jacobs, Giants

Wide receivers: 3. Santana Moss, Commanders 4. Terrell Owens, Cowboys (Trails Moss by 88,000 votes.)

Fullbacks: 1. Mike Sellers, Commanders 2. Madison Hedgecock, Giants 3. Deon Anderson, Cowboys (Sellers in a runaway -- and he deserves it, although Hedgecock has been excellent.)

Tight ends: 1. Jason Witten, Cowboys 2. Chris Cooley 3. Kevin Boss (Witten by 76,000 votes, but Cooley certainly has the better blog.)

Center: 1. Shaun O'Hara, Giants 2. Casey Rabach, Commanders 5. Andre Gurode, Cowboys (It's great to see O'Hara ranked that high. He totally deserves it).

Guard: 1. Chris Snee, Giants 2. Pete Kendall, Commanders 3. Randy Thomas, Commanders 5. Leonard Davis, Cowboys (Pretty big stretch to say Kendall and Thomas have been better than Davis. But Snee's definitely the best this season.)

Tackle: 1. Chris Samuels, Commanders 2. David Diehl, Giants 3. Flozell Adams, Cowboys 4. Kareem McKenzie, Giants 5. Jon Jansen, Commanders

Defensive end: 1. Justin Tuck, Giants 4. Andre Carter, Commanders (Tuck ran away with it. Julius Peppers trails him by 132,000 votes.)

Defensive tackles: 1. Cornelius Griffin, Commanders 4. Kedric Golston, Commanders 5. Fred Robbins, Giants (OK, this is where it gets a little ridiculous. Robbins should be ahead of Griffin and Golston.)

Outside linebackers: 1. DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys 2. Jason Taylor, Commanders (huh?), 3. Marcus Washington, Commanders (Huh?) 5. Rocky McIntosh, Commanders (Huh?). Ware has about a 140,000-vote lead on Taylor.

Inside linebackers: 1. London Fletcher, Commanders (Absolutely.), 3. Antonio Pierce, Giants 5. Zach Thomas, Cowboys

Cornerbacks: 1. Shawn Springs, Commanders 2. Carlos Rogers, Commanders 5. Asante Samuel (Wow, an Eagles player showed up!)

Strong safety: 1. Chris Horton, Commanders 4. James Butler, Giants (Butler's 130,000 behind Horton.)

Free safety: 1. LaRon Landry 2. Brian Dawkins (make that two Eagles!) 4. Michael Johnson, Giants 5. Ken Hamlin (How far he's fallen.)

Kickers: 1. Shaun Suisham, Commanders (Who else?) 2. John Carney, Giants 3. Nick Folk, Cowboys

Kick returners: 2. Rock Cartwright, Commanders 4. Domenik Hixon, Giants 5. Felix Jones, Cowboys

Special teamers: 1. Khary Campbell, Commanders 2. Chase Blackburn, Giants 3. Keith Davis (Campbell's up by 66,000 over Blackburn. That's quite a bit in this category.)

Giants-Cowboys, Washington Commanders, Philadelphia Eagles, Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants
Read comments or leave a comment

NFC East MVPs
December 11, 2008 3:40 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

For most of the season, the NFC East seemed like the best division in football. That might not be the case anymore as we sprint toward the playoffs, but the Beast still has its fair share of legitimate MVP candidates.

At one point, Clinton Portis, DeMarcus Ware and Eli Manning were all making strong arguments. Ware and Manning remain in the conversation, but Portis' injuries and slippage in production has dropped him out of the running. But let's take a look at my MVP choice for each team in the division:

8426.jpg

Ware

Dallas Cowboys, DeMarcus Ware, OLB
The Cowboys produced 13 Pro Bowlers in 2007, but they won't have half that many this season. Tony Romo is the biggest star on the team, but Ware's undoubtedly been the best player. He displayed immense talent from the start of his career, but a player taken after him in the draft, Shawne Merriman, was considered the more dynamic pass-rusher.

Things have changed dramatically. Merriman may be breaking down and Ware has 16 sacks with three games left to play. I've seen how my fellow bloggers voted in the ESPN.com MVP straw poll, and they completely blew it on Ware. Troy Polamalu and Albert Haynesworth are getting most of the love, but Ware should be right there with them.

5526.jpg

Manning

New York Giants, Eli Manning, QB
The numbers won't blow you away (20 touchdowns, eight interceptions), but no quarterback in the league is more important to his team's success. Kurt Warner's the sexy pick (and he's earned the attention), but Manning's the player you want when the game's on the line. Everyone wanted to know what last season's breakout performance in the playoffs would do to Manning. Well, it made him even hungrier. He'll have to do it without Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress the rest of the way, but I like his chances.

Giants general manager Jerry Reese believes Manning might be the smartest player in the league. He constantly puts the Giants in the right position. Give Tom Coughlin a ton of credit for helping this team overcome adversity, but it all starts and ends with Manning. Not long ago it seemed ludicrous to compare him to his older brother. But at this point, I think Eli will end up with more rings than Peyton.

3619.jpg

Westbrook
Philadelphia Eagles, Brian Westbrook, RB
This is a tough one. I'd like to give Donovan McNabb some sort of lifetime achievement award, but he hasn't been the best player on the team this season. Westbrook hasn't been himself because of injuries, but if the Eagles qualify for the playoffs, he'll be the one to get them there. He was brilliant in Sunday's upset of the Giants, and it looks like he's fully healed.

His numbers are down from last season, but he's still one of the best players in the game. The Eagles rewarded him with a lucrative extension in the preseason, and they'll reap the rewards for years to come. It's a little sad that he and McNabb won't win a Super Bowl together -- unless they stay hot right now. Let's give Darren Howard a little credit for his eight sacks.

3579.jpg

Portis

Washington Commanders, Clinton Portis, RB
He was having a remarkable season before things went south in the loss to the Steelers. Pittsburgh stuffed Portis, and in subsequent weeks he's been plagued by injuries. Still, he's rushed for 1,260 yards and seven touchdowns. After a slow start in Week 1 against the Giants, he put together a remarkable string of 100-yard games.

Commanders head coach Jim Zorn has done a lot of things right in his first year, but picking a fight with his star player wasn't one of them. Portis has never been a great practice player. He's someone who shows up on game day, though, and lays it on the line. Questioning Portis' preparation in public wasn't the best way to go. Portis was coddled by Joe Gibbs, and the adjustment to Zorn hasn't been easy on him. He has a chance to finish strong -- especially since the Bengals are on the schedule. He's the third-ranked back in the league right now, and that speaks to the amazing start he had.

Philadelphia Eagles, New York Giants, Dallas Cowboys, Jim Zorn, Clinton Portis, Joe Gibbs, Donovan McNabb, Brian Westbrook, Tom Coughlin, Eli Manning, Plaxico Burress, Kurt Warner, Shawne Merriman, Tony Romo, Troy Polamalu, Albert Haynesworth, DeMarcus Ware, Darren Howard, team MVP, Washington Commanders
Read comments or leave a comment

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
:lmao:

@ all the crappy *** Commanders on that squad.

Geeze, I hope the players and coaches haven't completely lost their minds like the Commander fans have. No wonder they can't win there... they don't know what a good football player looks like.

As for the Dallas players... I don't even care. It just runs up the price on the players when we re-sign them. Just make the postseason.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yes! I don't know how many from each position go, but I count about 14 Giants on there.

No more crybaby BS from the Giants about all our Pro Bowlers next year... We can take the "disrespected" card out of that deck.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Wow, there sure are a lot of Commanders, they must be undefeated or putting up record numbers... right? Ratliff doesn't get a mention at DT either, that's hilarious. I hope all these Commanders do win so we can cancel the damn pro bowl seeing as how useless it is anyway.

diehard2294

America's Team
Reaction score
well it's obvious the Commander fans were out in masses voting for their team

same as the cowboy fans did last year

Ratliff clearly deserves it

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is why I am opposed to letting the fans vote determine who plays in all star games. As a portion of the vote I'm OK. But completely going with fan voting will always take away from the game.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Manning

New York Giants, Eli Manning, QB
The numbers won't blow you away (20 touchdowns, eight interceptions), but no quarterback in the league is more important to his team's success.

Say what?

How would you even know that, the Giants haven't been without him. You have, however, seen the Cowboys without Romo.

TX_Yid

Reaction score
Really struggling to understand the man love for She-Li. He is quietly a decent bus driver but nothing more. 20TDs to 8Ints... its not earth shattering is it, I reckon at least 80% of the QBs in the NFL could go to the Giants and provide those numbers.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2481415 said:
That is why I am opposed to letting the fans vote determine who plays in all star games. As a portion of the vote I'm OK. But completely going with fan voting will always take away from the game.
Fan vote only counts 1/3.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
The Cowboys produced 13 Pro Bowlers in 2007, but they won't have half that many this season.

I probably wouldn't bet on that, especially after injury replacements are added.

Romo, Barber, Witten, Adams, Davis, Gurode, Ware, Ratliff and possibly Folk all have a chance to be selected or be a first or second alternate. Even Owens, Newman, Thomas or Hamlin could end up there if they go through enough injury replacements. We'll probably get four or five, maybe more, before any injury replacements are added.

By the way, Ratliff's chances might depend on the injunction against the suspensions of Pat and Kevin Williams. If the injunction is lifted, that would make them ineligible for the Pro Bowl.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
speedkilz88;2481447 said:
Fan vote only counts 1/3.

And because of the way the coach and player votes are tabulated, it's effectively less than that.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
The way the Cowboys have played this year - only those two are worth the small mention.
I agree with the fan vote.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2481533 said:
Ware is the only one that really deserves to go to the Pro Bowl.

Witten easily deserves to go. That's not even a question.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2481536 said:
Witten easily deserves to go. That's not even a question.

Probably but he hasn't played up to his usual standard but that's not all his fault. The injuries and Brad Johnson have limited him.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2481533 said:
Ware is the only one that really deserves to go to the Pro Bowl.

Ratliff, Witten, Bradie.

Also, Davis has only allowed 1 sack and we average 6.1 yards rushing behind him. I think he deserves it too.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Who's voting all those Giants and Deadskins in there? Especially Jason Taylor? He's non-existant. You have to be kidding me. And you know a lot great players on this team won't make it because they were hurt this season which is understandable. But its a tragedy that Bradie and Ratliff aren't up there.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
CowboyMike;2481554 said:
Ratliff, Witten, Bradie.

Also, Davis has only allowed 1 sack and we average 6.1 yards rushing behind him. I think he deserves it too.

Ok you got me on Ratliff. Davis maybe but not Bradie. He's played better the last couple of weeks but he's still lost in coverage.