Video: ESPN: NFC East Q&A: What will it take to stop Commanders' run game?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Callahan is a terrific OL coach; however, the 1st year of his scheme is often not that good. Maybe the Skins can overcome that because they have some carry over from running zone when Shannahan was there, but in general the 1st year with a new zone OL coach can often be a setback year.

The Cowboys defense is probably better equipped to defend a Zone running team than a Power running team. Also, the Cowboys defense has a lot of practice time against Callahan's scheme.

My guess is that RG-knee won't do much read-option, but if he does the Cowboys are better equipped to defend it than at some points in the past. A key player in defending it usually the WLB. I'm certain Lee will play it as well as it can be played. The only issue might be Gregory at RDE reacting correctly to the Read Option, but Mincey then Hardy will likely be the starters there and will play most run downs.

I agree they will have trouble adjusting as you said but also because the terminology is different. And not all Zone blocking is the same. I was reading about twists and was surprised (although after thinking about it I shouldn't have been) to learn Tim and Tom twists are handled differently even though the T and G are both involved.

I think Griffin will run because he'll need to IMO. But I could be wrong.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't see how the Eagles fortified their running game. Murray for McCoy is a push (at best) and the loss of both starting guards will hurt.

Valid point. The Eagles only fortified their running game in the sense that it's better than it would have been if Murray hadn't made himself available to cover for the loss of McCoy. The presence of D. Sproles and Ryan Matthews does make that RB corps a pretty dangerous threesome, though. The Skins helped their cause with the additions of OT Scherff and right guard Spencer Long.