News: ESPN: NFL owners OK new catch rule by 32-0 vote

goshan

Reaction score
And you continue to ignore the fact that if he completed the three-part process (two feet down, control, football move) then going to the ground didn't matter.

Are you saying he didn't complete the three-part process before going to the ground? If you are, then apparently the league now disagrees with you since it is saying Dez Bryant's catch would be a catch now when the three-part process is still two feet down, control and a football move.

Anyway, I said I'm not going to get back into this because you're either thick on the point or have some kind of disconnect. So I'm done.

The two things in the new rule that would argue for a dez catch:

1. Explicitly says reaching is a football move. This is a pretty important add.
2. Has a wide open clause that says ‘or capable of such a football move’.

Don’t see what the confusion is here?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I don't know why it just can't be two feet and the ground can't cause a fumble. So if they have a control of it or they switch hands under control, don't juggle, bobble it, etc...seems pretty straight forward. All this football move stuff...come on.

That’s pretty much what the rule will be. They’ve taken the ground out of it. If they have control of the ball and are falling to the ground and lose the ball before they hit the ground it will be a fumble. If they have control of the ball and are falling to the ground and lose the ball as they contact the ground it will be down by contact. If they catch the ball, change hands with it and reach for the line to gain that will be a football move. Had this rule been around three years ago the Dez play would have been down by contact which was the ruling on the field.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Wrong. It would be a catch now because the Going to the Ground requirement to maintain possession through contacting the ground goes away. Read Steratore's quote again if you won't believe me.

OK, I lied. I want to try one more thing. Answer these questions for me:

Did Dez Bryant get two feet down?

Did Dez Bryant establish control?

Did Dez Bryant make a football move?

goshan

Reaction score

Yes on all three based upon the new rule, as he clearly ‘reached’ and demonstrated the ability to make a football move.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Leave it to a game between Pittsburgh and New England for changes to be made.

Would you prefer it not be made?

It seems some folks are going to complain whether the rule is changed or stays the same.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

There's nothing to try, dude. The Going to the Ground Rule (Item 1) applied back then. Go read the article in the first post about what changes in the rule. It tells you everything you need to know since you won't accept it from me. I get it though. It'll be Triggered City around here for a while.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't know why it just can't be two feet and the ground can't cause a fumble. So if they have a control of it or they switch hands under control, don't juggle, bobble it, etc...seems pretty straight forward. All this football move stuff...come on.

butch.gif

BlindFaith

Reaction score
And you continue to ignore the fact that if he completed the three-part process (two feet down, control, football move) then going to the ground didn't matter.

Are you saying he didn't complete the three-part process before going to the ground? If you are, then apparently the league now disagrees with you since it is saying Dez Bryant's catch would be a catch now when the three-part process is still two feet down, control and a football move.

Anyway, I said I'm not going to get back into this because you're either thick on the point or have some kind of disconnect. So I'm done.
If the player is going to the ground and had not completed the 3 step process prior, they must maintain possession.

NO football move can complete the process while falling.

A time element which was defined as brace/reagain balance plus a lunge could satisfy as an act that would have completed the process.

Removing the going to the ground rule now means a football move CAN complete the process while a player is falling.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
There's nothing to try, dude. The Going to the Ground Rule (Item 1) applied back then. Go read the article in the first post about what changes in the rule. It tells you everything you need to know since you won't accept it from me. I get it though. It'll be Triggered City around here for a while.

No, you'll dodge the questions because you understand the conclusion.

If you say Dez did not do any one of those things, then you're saying his catch would not be a catch under the new rule because it also requires two feet down, control and a football move. You cannot say that because the league is saying it would have been a catch under the new rule.

If you say Dez did all three of those things, then you are acknowledging the he completed the process of the catch before going to the ground, which is the requirement of the rule. The ground only matters if the process of the catch is not completed before the player hits the turf.

I get it though. This is your thing and you're never going to give it up and admit you're wrong.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not sure this solves the problem. If I read right, what they are saying is that there is no longer a need to maintain possession all the way through the play if the 3 elements are met before the player goes to the ground, but wasn't that the case before? The necessity for a "football move" is still in the rule, and that's really the source of the controversy.

goshan

Reaction score
Ground can cause a fumble if the carrier isn’t touched on the way down. Everyone stop with this ‘ground can’t cause fumble talk’. It doesn’t apply.

goshan

Reaction score
I'm not sure this solves the problem. If I read right, what they are saying is that there is no longer a need to maintain possession all the way through the play if the 3 elements are met before the player goes to the ground, but wasn't that the case before? The necessity for a "football move" is still in the rule, and that's really the source of the controversy.

1. Specifically says a reach is a football move
2. Has an open-ended clause that says ‘if a runner is capable of a football move’ it could be ruled a catch

It’s the most lenient rule yet, but there will still be judgement calls. It just shifts the default to be more likely a catch with the flexible language around football move and eliminating ‘going to the ground’.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Now they can make the move while falling and it completes the process.

There are going to be all kinds of questionable calls now. And I think, more fumbles.

Take the Dez play. When he takes that third step, it will now be ruled a catch at that point.

Previously, because he was going to the ground, nothing he did while falling completed the process.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
2. Has an open-ended clause that says ‘if a runner is capable of a football move’ it could be ruled a catch

It’s the most lenient rule yet, but there will still be judgement calls. It just shifts the default to be more likely a catch with the flexible language around football move and eliminating ‘going to the ground’.

It is by far the most lenient catch rule we have ever had.

There will be many judgment calls now, especially with the "time enough to do so".

I still want to see exactly how the rule is written.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
so when do the cowboys get their 2014 superbowl rings?
It happened before, when we lost the Seahawk game it was determined someone in the stadium did something to the ball or failed to follow procedure, or something along those lines, giving Romo a slick ball. A rule was actually implemented after that. It was buried in the news. We seem to get the shaft sometimes. I find I need to not even think about it. Just move on. The all time worse was many years ago when, what was it the Patriots, plowed snow out of the way so they can kick a game winning field goal. The NFL isnt always fair

glimmerman

Reaction score
Took longer than I thought for them to change the rule. The ref standing there rules it a catch and down at the 1/2 yard line.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm not sure if the rule itself says that or if that is just how the reporter explained it. Maybe it does, but as you said, there will still be an element of judgment in it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now they can make the move while falling and it completes the process.

There are going to be all kinds of questionable calls now. And I think, more fumbles.

Take the Dez play. When he takes that third step, it will now be ruled a catch at that point.

Previously, because he was going to the ground, nothing he did while falling completed the process.

That I think is going to be the problem fans will have. An untouched receiver going to the ground can now fumble and lose the ball, and I suspect when that happens a lot of fans will be upset and believe it should not have been ruled a catch and fumble.

Kevinicus

Reaction score

Don't argue with him, he is a known troll who has been thoroughly destroyed on this.