News: ESPN: Source: Prescott has no post-surgical infections

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Source: Prescott has no post-surgical infections

i

Cowboys QB Dak Prescott has had no infections in his surgically repaired leg, a source told ESPN.

Read Full Story

Blackthorn

Reaction score
Good for him. This type of injury often needs follow-up procedures. I hope that Dak follows the Drs orders to the letter to minimize follow-up procedures. He should focus on core conditioning and film study until he is able to begin rehab.

Go Dallas!!! #4

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

i

Cowboys QB Dak Prescott has had no infections in his surgically repaired leg, a source told ESPN.

Read Full Story

Some surgeons and their team now wear these types of outfits to avoid infection.

I know one surgeon that definitely wears something like this for doing knee replacement surgery.

Outbreak-film-images-e3257e61-b4e8-402b-adeb-e800089f7af.jpg

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

i

Read Full Story
This is indeed good news. It's one of the dangers of any surgery. And it's never a small issue.

A year ago I had back surgery after a bad fall at home. I was told after the MRI I needed surgery to repair 2 vertebra that were damaged. I had been having pain in my lower legs from having the fall.

They did surgery and after the surgery they did another MRI. This was like 2 weeks after the surgery. It showed I had gotten an infection from the surgery. It looked like little balls of cotton going up and down my spine.

I was placed on 6 weeks of strong antibiotics and after that had surgery again to remove a cyst at the base of my spine which was the source of the infection. It was located where they had performed the first surgery.

I asked the doctor how that happened and he said he didn't know. Secondary infections are possible in any surgery.

So had the surgery and another 6 weeks of antibiotics it was finally controlled.

One problem..I could not walk. I had been in bed so long recovering from the surgery I had lost a lot of muscle mass in my lower body. The infection had damaged some nerves. I remained a total of 15 months in Rehab having to learn to walk again and build my lower body strength. I had gone from 195 lbs to a low of 128 lbs. I am now up to 155 and still in Rehab.

I am going home at the end of November but I am permanently disabled now. I can not drive a car anymore and will require a lot of nurse care and rehab at home to see how much more I can recover.

I say all of this becuz surgery is never an open and shut thing. I hope Dak is going to come back strong but you never know. So I sort of laugh when posters say Dak will be fine.

We don't know anything yet. Give it time. God speed Dak.

We miss you.

:omg:

Creeper

Reaction score
Good. Continue to monitor the leg. On his way back to recovery.

Just a side note though, how soon did they see infection in Alex Smith's leg after his injury? Isn't infection still possible?

I don't know about Alex Smith but surgical site infections can occur from 1 to 30 days after surgery according to Johns Hopkins website. Infections from surgery occur in 1% to 3% of surgeries. But Dak also had a compound fracture and the bigger risk is probably the exposure of the open wound to a non-sterile environment. I think the fact that there are no signs of infection there or in his blood is a very good sign.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is indeed good news. It's one of the dangers of any surgery. And it's never a small issue.

A year ago I had back surgery after a bad fall at home. I was told after the MRI I needed surgery to repair 2 vertebra that were damaged. I had been having pain in my lower legs from having the fall.

They did surgery and after the surgery they did another MRI. This was like 2 weeks after the surgery. It showed I had gotten an infection from the surgery. It looked like little balls of cotton going up and down my spine.

I was placed on 6 weeks of strong antibiotics and after that had surgery again to remove a cyst at the base of my spine which was the source of the infection. It was located where they had performed the first surgery.

I asked the doctor how that happened and he said he didn't know. Secondary infections are possible in any surgery.

So had the surgery and another 6 weeks of antibiotics it was finally controlled.

One problem..I could not walk. I had been in bed so long recovering from the surgery I had lost a lot of muscle mass in my lower body. The infection had damaged some nerves. I remained a total of 15 months in Rehab having to learn to walk again and build my lower body strength. I had gone from 195 lbs to a low of 128 lbs. I am now up to 155 and still in Rehab.

I am going home at the end of November but I am permanently disabled now. I can not drive a car anymore and will require a lot of nurse care and rehab at home to see how much more I can recover.

I say all of this becuz surgery is never an open and shut thing. I hope Dak is going to come back strong but you never know. So I sort of laugh when posters say Dak will be fine.

We miss you.

Red, thank you for sharing your back surgery story. You are so right. I went through lower back surgery back in 2002. Luckily, I came out good without any infection. As you said, the risk of post-surgical infection is very high. I truly am so sorry for your post-surgical infection that has now cost you so much. I will keep you in my prayers that you may somehow get past this and regain your full health.

plymkr

Reaction score

We miss you.

Man that's rough bro. I really hope things get better for you. Please keep us posted on any progress you make. I'll be praying for you.