News: ESPN: Source: Prescott has no post-surgical infections

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Red, thank you for sharing your back surgery story. You are so right. I went through lower back surgery back in 2002. Luckily, I came out good without any infection. As you said, the risk of post-surgical infection is very high. I truly am so sorry for your post-surgical infection that has now cost you so much. I will keep you in my prayers that you may somehow get past this and regain your full health.
Thanx bro.

I have been reluctant to share any of this on the Forum.

Now that I have made some progress it's easier to talk about.

I am about to be sent to a special Rehab hospital here in San Antonio for intense therapy to learn to walk with a cane and and do some things like learning to cook with my condition. Like home ec class in school. My biggest fear is another fall so I have to be safe at all times.

So we shall see. I'm a pretty tough guy and have always met stuff head on.

Later.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
I got Staph infection after my lower back surgery last year. Doctor had to go back and re-open the surgical wound and clean it out. To say it was incredibly painful would be an understatement. They put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks and thankfully it cleared up but no before giving me two of the worst weeks of my life. Couldn’t sleep or lay on my back during that time period. It was horrible.

Surgery can always have it’s complications. Glad Dak’s okay. The recovery process starts now.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Red, thank you for sharing your back surgery story. You are so right. I went through lower back surgery back in 2002. Luckily, I came out good without any infection. As you said, the risk of post-surgical infection is very high. I truly am so sorry for your post-surgical infection that has now cost you so much. I will keep you in my prayers that you may somehow get past this and regain your full health.
I had a complete ankle reconstruction done. 18 inch scar to prove it. Thanks God the alcohol kept the infection away!

Red Dragon

Reaction score
Good news. Staph/MRSA is always a danger with compound fractures. At least he wasn't playing on natural grass, where there would be even more bacteria or spores to get into a wound.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
This is indeed good news. It's one of the dangers of any surgery. And it's never a small issue.

A year ago I had back surgery after a bad fall at home. I was told after the MRI I needed surgery to repair 2 vertebra that were damaged. I had been having pain in my lower legs from having the fall.

They did surgery and after the surgery they did another MRI. This was like 2 weeks after the surgery. It showed I had gotten an infection from the surgery. It looked like little balls of cotton going up and down my spine.

I was placed on 6 weeks of strong antibiotics and after that had surgery again to remove a cyst at the base of my spine which was the source of the infection. It was located where they had performed the first surgery.

I asked the doctor how that happened and he said he didn't know. Secondary infections are possible in any surgery.

So had the surgery and another 6 weeks of antibiotics it was finally controlled.

One problem..I could not walk. I had been in bed so long recovering from the surgery I had lost a lot of muscle mass in my lower body. The infection had damaged some nerves. I remained a total of 15 months in Rehab having to learn to walk again and build my lower body strength. I had gone from 195 lbs to a low of 128 lbs. I am now up to 155 and still in Rehab.

I am going home at the end of November but I am permanently disabled now. I can not drive a car anymore and will require a lot of nurse care and rehab at home to see how much more I can recover.

I say all of this becuz surgery is never an open and shut thing. I hope Dak is going to come back strong but you never know. So I sort of laugh when posters say Dak will be fine.

We don't know anything yet. Give it time. God speed Dak.

We miss you.

:omg:

Yep, I had a routine colonoscopy and they inadvertently perforated my colon and didn't catch it. Sent me home. An emergency surgery, 30 days in the hospital, and a colostomy bag later, I still had pockets of infection all over the place and a fever of 101.

At least i didn't die.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
This is indeed good news. It's one of the dangers of any surgery. And it's never a small issue.

A year ago I had back surgery after a bad fall at home. I was told after the MRI I needed surgery to repair 2 vertebra that were damaged. I had been having pain in my lower legs from having the fall.

They did surgery and after the surgery they did another MRI. This was like 2 weeks after the surgery. It showed I had gotten an infection from the surgery. It looked like little balls of cotton going up and down my spine.

I was placed on 6 weeks of strong antibiotics and after that had surgery again to remove a cyst at the base of my spine which was the source of the infection. It was located where they had performed the first surgery.

I asked the doctor how that happened and he said he didn't know. Secondary infections are possible in any surgery.

So had the surgery and another 6 weeks of antibiotics it was finally controlled.

One problem..I could not walk. I had been in bed so long recovering from the surgery I had lost a lot of muscle mass in my lower body. The infection had damaged some nerves. I remained a total of 15 months in Rehab having to learn to walk again and build my lower body strength. I had gone from 195 lbs to a low of 128 lbs. I am now up to 155 and still in Rehab.

I am going home at the end of November but I am permanently disabled now. I can not drive a car anymore and will require a lot of nurse care and rehab at home to see how much more I can recover.

I say all of this becuz surgery is never an open and shut thing. I hope Dak is going to come back strong but you never know. So I sort of laugh when posters say Dak will be fine.

We don't know anything yet. Give it time. God speed Dak.

We miss you.

:omg:
Yup. That's when you disappeared and I freaked out.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Yep, I had a routine colonoscopy and they inadvertently perforated my colon and didn't catch it. Sent me home. An emergency surgery, 30 days in the hospital, and a colostomy bag later, I still had pockets of infection all over the place and a fever of 101.

At least i didn't die.
Oh my brother..I am so sorry to hear that.

And your story made me remember..

during the original admittance to the hospital they gave me some strong painkillers and I fell asleep.

While I was out they attempted to insert a catheter and ended up puncturing my urethra..the canal where your urine leaves the blatter to your *****.

So they just made a hole in my stomach from the outside and ran a tube to a urine bag strapped to my leg. I woke up and found it and asked the nurse what happened.

She said they had a problem but I was fine that it would only be there a short while. I had it for 6 months and finally the doctor said they would remove it and then covid hit.

Becuz of that...all non-emergency surgeries were cancelled. So I sat from January of this year until September. That was a whole year I had to drag that around before elective surgery was approved again.

Thought I would go out of my mind.
[

alicetooljam

Reaction score
Good. Continue to monitor the leg. On his way back to recovery.

Just a side note though, how soon did they see infection in Alex Smith's leg after his injury? Isn't infection still possible?

It was early...he was running a temp within 2 days after and really took a turn 4 days after...the Alex Smith E60 episode on espn is really worth watching if you havent caught it. You can probably watch it on demand or youtube

Delete link if not cool:

https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/3621876/bucketId/6200

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I don't know about Alex Smith but surgical site infections can occur from 1 to 30 days after surgery according to Johns Hopkins website. Infections from surgery occur in 1% to 3% of surgeries. But Dak also had a compound fracture and the bigger risk is probably the exposure of the open wound to a non-sterile environment. I think the fact that there are no signs of infection there or in his blood is a very good sign.
Absolutely good news.

Interesting the info you pulled up.

I had several friends who voiced concerns about surgery. One had surgery in their back and it only made it worst.

So I knew risks were involved. But I had doctors from Infectious disease consulted before anything was done. They said if I do not operate to remove the cyst I would die from it as once it leaves the back area it spreads everywhere and that just a matter of time.

So I said operate..go forward.

Unless I had prepared my will and gotten my affairs in order which I had not..I needed to live a little longer.

It then got more complicated becuz of covid.

The whole thing was just pure bad luck. From the fall to the infection..everything was a domino effect. I sat for weeks rethinking everything trying to see what had happened and if I made some fatal error.

I came up nothing.

So again this ain't about me it's about Dak recovering and getting his life back.

I am going to follow this for sure. Dak has fought thru so much with his Mom passing then his brother.and now this.

We are all hopeful for you Dak.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I got Staph infection after my lower back surgery last year. Doctor had to go back and re-open the surgical wound and clean it out. To say it was incredibly painful would be an understatement. They put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks and thankfully it cleared up but no before giving me two of the worst weeks of my life. Couldn’t sleep or lay on my back during that time period. It was horrible.

Surgery can always have it’s complications. Glad Dak’s okay. The recovery process starts now.
Yeah..

Sorry to hear all this stuff from you guys.

Did not mean to bring up old scars.

All My Best to everybody.

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Oh my brother..I am so sorry to hear that.

And your story made me remember..

during the original admittance to the hospital they gave me some strong painkillers and I fell asleep.

While I was out they attempted to insert a catheter and ended up puncturing my urethra..the canal where your urine leaves the blatter to your *****.

So they just made a hole in my stomach from the outside and ran a tube to a urine bag strapped to my leg. I woke up and found it and asked the nurse what happened.

She said they had a problem but I was fine that it would only be there a short while. I had it for 6 months and finally the doctor said they would remove it and then covid hit.

Becuz of that...all non-emergency surgeries were cancelled. So I sat from January of this year until September. That was a whole year I had to drag that around before elective surgery was approved again.

Thought I would go out of my mind.
[

That's brutal. I'm glad you were able to have that reversed. I understand the reversal was 'elective', but only in the broadest sense. Getting everything working like it's supposed to is pretty important to the person hauling a bag around.

I was so paranoid about another medical mistake that I was prepared to wear that colostomy bag forever. Fortunately, rational thinking took over and I only had to deal with it for 6 months.

We take for granted some of the most basic things in our lives. Yes, I want the Cowboys to win and will go to any length to not miss a game, but at the end of the day, there are SO many things that are more important.