ESPN: Sources: WR Dez Bryant to visit Cowboys

Gooch

E-Dog
Reaction score
Sources: WR Bryant to visit Cowboys

By Calvin Watkins
ESPNDallas.com

DALLAS -- Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant, who's draft stock is uncertain, will visit the Dallas Cowboys for a private workout on April 1, according to multiple sources.

Bryant will have a personal workout for NFL teams in his hometown of Lufkin, Texas, on March 30 before coming to Valley Ranch.

Bryant, projected to be the first wide receiver taken in the upcoming NFL draft, did not work out at the NFL scouting combine or at Oklahoma State's Pro Day because of a recent hamstring injury, which has given several teams pause.

Most NFL teams will try to bring in or talk to as many projected draft picks as possible. But the Cowboys haven't used a first-round draft pick on a wide receiver since 1991, when Dallas selected Alvin Harper with the 12th overall pick.
Wide receiver is an interesting position for the Cowboys as starters Miles Austin and Roy E. Williams are entering different stages of their careers.

The Cowboys believe Austin, after his breakout Pro Bowl season, is on the rise. Williams' value to the team, however, is uncertain after consecutive seasons of inconsistent play. The team's younger receivers -- Sam Hurd and Kevin Ogletree -- and veteran No. 3 wideout Patrick Crayton are still valued.

Adding a top receiver in Bryant, should he fall to the bottom half of the first round, would make for an intriguing decision for the Cowboys. Owner and general manager Jerry Jones has said in the past that drafting a wide receiver in the first round is difficult given how long it takes for players at that position to develop and the amount of money a team has to give out.

The Cowboys drafted Oklahoma wide receiver Manuel Johnson last year in the seventh round.

LINK

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
No way we take a wr in the first round unless we deal RW11.

HoleInTheRoof

Benched
Reaction score
I can't decide if I want us to move up and snag him assuming he starts to slide into the teens . . . or simply stay put and work on our lines.

I think we're a good enough team we can gamble on a potential playmaker . . . someone who would give opposing defenses something to consider opposite Austin.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
im not sure if jerry could pass if he is sitting there at 27.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Maybe a Roy Williams cut is in the offing? *prays*

I think the Cowboys are looking for a reason to get rid of him, such as scoring a very good WR prospect in the draft. But if they aren't that impressed by any of them, Roy would stay. Hence all of the attention to the WRs.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
sm0kie13;3312090 said:
im not sure if jerry could pass if he is sitting there at 27.

That is the question. If he falls to 27 would Jerry justify the pick saying he was the BPA at that draft position.

In another thread I questioned whether they would keep him on their boards at all due to the character issues. Bringing him in seems to indicate they have not taken him off their boards, not sure if they would after the visit or not.

I really don't see them planning on taking a WR in the draft in the first but I think if he indeed fell to 27th Jerry might take him. Again it would be a BPA situation and would give Jerry the luxury to see if Roy Williams works out this year and if not they could let him go with a replacement already on board.

Of course you could also see a team offering a good trade value to move up and get him.

It will be interesting to see what happens if he does fall to 27th. Personally I think some team will take him before he goes that far.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3312084 said:
No way we take a wr in the first round unless we deal RW11.
Disagree. I don't think they'd expect a 1st round receiver to come in and contribute immediately. That lets you give Roy one more season and if it doesn't work, you have an excellent receiver prospect hopefully at a point where he's ready to step in.

It's probably better than taking a guard in the first round if who they want isn't there and there aren't many other holes on the team that we *absolutely must* spend a 1st round pick on.

Reaction score
theogt;3312109 said:
Disagree. I don't think they'd expect a 1st round receiver to come in and contribute immediately. That lets you give Roy one more season and if it doesn't work, you have an excellent receiver prospect hopefully at a point where he's ready to step in.

It's probably better than taking a guard in the first round if who they want isn't there and there aren't many other holes on the team that we *absolutely must* spend a 1st round pick on.

Yupppp exactly

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;3312103 said:
In another thread I questioned whether they would keep him on their boards at all due to the character issues. Bringing him in seems to indicate they have not taken him off their boards, not sure if they would after the visit or not.
I am certain Deion Sanders has already vouched for him with Jerry Jones and assured him, that like Pacman Jones, Bryant is straight.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
theogt;3312109 said:

I agree. I think if Dallas were to get Bryant they would do so knowing there is a bit of a learning curve that many WR deal with. So I don't think RW being here would stop the Cowboys from drafting a guy like Bryant

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3312121 said:
I agree. I think if Dallas were to get Bryant they would do so knowing there is a bit of a learning curve that many WR deal with. So I don't think RW being here would stop the Cowboys from drafting a guy like Bryant

The problem with that theory is that the last 2 years, rookie WRs have been transitioning quite well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;3312124 said:
The problem with that theory is that the last 2 years, rookie WRs have been transitioning quite well.

Some have there are always guys who catch on quicker than others. These players are not machines and not all will develop at the same pace. I don't think RW being here will determin if we take Bryant or not. JMO

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
theogt;3312109 said:

I get that thinking totally. It just seems that bringing in a guy who you would have to pay 1st round money to you would have to make room on your payroll for and with what Austin is going to get, plus what you have invested in RW plus we are paying Crayton some good bucks, seems like that would be a lot of money at one position.

So for me, I think the money is better spent somewhere.

Of course, like I said, if RW was not part of the equation, then I am on board. (Not crazy about the character issues though.)

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Sweet, I was just thinking the other day we need Deion MORE involved at Valley Ranch.

Reaction score
Cajuncowboy;3312134 said:
I get that thinking totally. It just seems that bringing in a guy who you would have to pay 1st round money to you would have to make room on your payroll for and with what Austin is going to get, plus what you have invested in RW plus we are paying Crayton some good bucks, seems like that would be a lot of money at one position.

So for me, I think the money is better spent somewhere.

Of course, like I said, if RW was not part of the equation, then I am on board. (Not crazy about the character issues though.)

He's not going to be getting any crazy money at 27. Chump change money for jones. So that's no problem.